Keltec P11 bacame dysfunctional

This is a discussion on Keltec P11 bacame dysfunctional within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my P11 about 3 years ago used,upon firing it had a problem with misfires and I sent it in to keltec,received it back ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Keltec P11 bacame dysfunctional

Keltec P11 bacame dysfunctional

I bought my P11 about 3 years ago used,upon firing it had a problem with misfires and I sent it in to keltec,received it back and had no problems with probably 500 rounds over 3 years,I had it in my jeep as a backup to my 1911,or quick access while driving.
    I took it out and loaded some of my 125 grn reloads and after a couple rounds I was getting FTFire,primers seemed to be hit,I loaded up my carry ammo Fed HST 124 +p,same thing only after a couple of rounds the trigger would pull and I'd hear a click but no bangy,gun is going back for repairs and will then be sold/traded for something else I can trust
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In my dealings with Keltec's, they are like Taurus. They either work good, or they're a POS. I guess we know which one you got.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If it doesn't go BANG consistently, it just goes - away. (At least it does in my world.)

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I agree. Kel Tecs are either studs, or duds. My P38t's, and my sub2000 has been tip top, my P-11, and PF-9 have both needed new ejectors. But since then have been fine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    In my dealings with Keltec's, they are like Taurus. They either work good, or they're a POS. I guess we know which one you got.
    Forty-two on the POS. Things I hate about my Kel-Tec: like the OP, an overwhelming tendency to not go Boom when the trigger reaches the end of its long, hard, unwieldy trigger pull; vicious recoil, even on a 9mm platform; lots of fte's and ftc's when it does go Boom, regardless of ammo. Yeah, yeah, I must be a limp-wristed sissy...Not

Don't always blame it on the gun...have you not read that Federal ammo has the hardest primers in the industry? They almost always ignite if you can punch them right because of their formula that's about as secret as Coke Cola, but for a pocket carry gun, try some of the Hornady Critical Defense Ammo, Corbon or Winchester before you discount the gun. There are many people that own Kel-tecs without any problems and according to the Kel-tec owner site, many have been tested to over 10K rounds without problems. If it's doing the same with other ammo, suggest replace that hammer spring-call the company-it's probably lifetime warrantied.

Also note that if you have a compact firearm and shoot anything over 125grain bullet, it probably "won't cycle the slide back" and cause a FTF because of the bullet weight...especially the 147grn in 9mm that needs a longer barrel to generate more pressure for blow-back. I've owned two of the P11's with 0 problems, gave one to a girlfriend and my buddy bought one that's had about 300+rounds with 0 problems. Yep, if you limp-wrist it, it could FTF.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I had it in my jeep as a backup to my 1911,or quick access while driving.
    You didn't say so I will ask. Have you given it a darn good cleaning? TX like here in KY is quiet humid in the summer months and Kel-Tecs, like Ruger LCPs don't have the greatest rust resistant components. Dirt, dust and heven forbid, rust can show up in the firing pin housing and spring assembly. Does the cavity in the FTF primer look light? Or lighter than the spentcasing that came with the pistol?

You may also want to look at the failed cartridge and see if the firing pin is hitting way off center. This was once a problem and discussed on the KTOG site.

Just a thought and I wish you well.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

how often have you taken the P11 out of the Jeep and given it some TLC? It worked......and now it does not work?

Gee, can't imagine what that would be.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I had a P-11. Took it to the range to break it in. By the time I got it home later that night (I had to rush to work from the range), the slide was pitted and showed rust. My buddy had one. he had the same problem. He just put black nail polish on it and used it as a beat around/tool box gun. Mine broke 2 ejectors fairly quickly. I only had it for a year/year and a half. After the second, I called Kel-Tec to order a new one. I asked if it was caused by something I did. Maybe my carry ammo (147gr Hydra-Shoks). Guy said "No. Sometimes there's just a bad batch." I installed the new ejector, sold it, and bought a G26. My buddy had a 1st gen P-32. It broke. When he called to have it shipped in for repairs he was told that the 2nd gens were already out and there was nothing they could do to help him. He traded it to a gun shop for a scope. I will never own another Kel-Tec. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    how often have you taken the P11 out of the Jeep and given it some TLC? It worked......and now it does not work?

Gee, can't imagine what that would be.
    I wouldn't have a problem if it was a FTE or needed lube,I had my cleaning kit and field stripped and lubed it,didn't fix it,this is a trigger issue,had the same problem when I bought it and they fixed it,at least for about 500 rounds,now the same problem is back,If it was a one time thing good deal,but twice within about 3 years and I'm not betting my life on it,in all the guns I've ever owned the P11 is the only one that had a mechanical problem with failure to fire,you can feel it in the trigger,I'm not betting my life on the gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I'm not bashing Keltec,I just ain't carrying that keltec,may sell/trade and either get a PF9 or use the funds toward a Sig 238

bought my P11 maybe 15 years ago - on first and second range days it wouldn't feed anything - lucky to get 3 shots in row - sent it in to their gusmith and got it back in a couple of weeks - since then 100% reliable with a really large selection of ammo - whatever that guy did it was practically magic - so .... like the gun but don't trust it for defense

I have a Keltec P11 also and it works fine. Go to the Keltec owners forum, I believe they recommend that you use 115gr as it seems to be more reliable on most of the P11's. I hope this helps. God Bless

Links