Kahr CW9

Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here own a Kahr CW9? I was pondering the idea of trading one or two of my safe queens for a thin carry gun. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9

Kahr CW9

Anyone here own a Kahr CW9? I was pondering the idea of trading one or two of my safe queens for a thin carry gun. I held one of these at the gun shop and expected a really heavy trigger pull, almost like a NAA Guardian or something. WOW, was I wrong. The trigger pull was pretty fantastic... much better than a Kel-Tec. It's a pretty awesome gun for the price. I can get it locally for about $400 new out the door. Seems like a good deal to me. Anything I should look out for. I also see that Kahr is having a magazine deal right now, so I might try to get in on that.

Yep - great little gun. Flat and light, conceals easily, 7+1 capacity. Mine's been utterly reliable for 3-4 years and over 2000 rounds.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a CM9 and I really like the gun. If it has the same trigger pull, you can pull the trigger about 3/4 and hold steady before firing. That makes it fairly accurate. Its nice and smooth, Kel Tec isn't in the same league. I don't like that you have to extend the trigger all the way out on the reset, this slows down double taps. I miss that little "Click" Glocks have.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I miss that little "Click" Glocks have.
    You'll be back.

I had one for 2+ yrs and it was a good price, great to carry and very reliable. For some reason, it was just a poor fit for me and I never warmed up to it. If you can find one that you can rent or borrow and put a couple of boxes through it to see what you think before buying.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Great guns... Had one for a couple of years and it was flawless, after the first 50 rounds. But I did take it straight to the range from the dealer.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    I had one for 2+ yrs and it was a good price, great to carry and very reliable. For some reason, it was just a poor fit for me and I never warmed up to it. If you can find one that you can rent or borrow and put a couple of boxes through it to see what you think before buying.
    Any particular reason why you didn't like the Kahr? It feels really nice in my hand. Much thinner than a Glock 26, and all of my fingers fit on the grip. That being said, I still don't know how well it shoots. I'd imagine that a gun like this won't be one that I take to the range every trip since it's really meant to be a carry gun.

Might trade my CZ-82 for a Kahr. I originally bought it for a cheap, compact carry gun, but I really don't care for it. It hurts my hand to shoot and sometimes the slide locks back with rounds still in the magazine. It's also pretty thick for only a 9x18mm. It would also be nice to eliminate a caliber from my collection. I'll just have to see...

I'm also considering a Walther PPS, but it doesn't really seem any better than the Kahr. Just more expensive... I'm sure the Kel-Tec PF-9 is okay, but I want something a bit more refined.

VIP Member
    Bought a CW9 for my wife, after trying both the LC9 and Taurus 709, and finding them both lacking. She fell in love with it. I liked it enough to buy it's big brother (CW45) for myself. Don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

Just a note, Kahr recommends a200 round break in, but neither one of the 2 I have needed it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I own and carry one daily. I love mine. I have put over 1000 rounds through it now and it has not given me a single problem. I had heard that the Kahrs were a little finicky about what ammo they would feed reliably but I have yet to find anything that mine won't feed without a problem.

As others have said, it is flat, lite, it conceals like a dream and shoots very accurately. I love mine.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I own and carry one daily. I love mine. I have put over 1000 rounds through it now and it has not given me a single problem. I had heard that the Kahrs were a little finicky about what ammo they would feed reliably but I have yet to find anything that mine won't feed without a problem. As others have said, it is flat, lite, it conceals like a dream and shoots very accurately. I love mine.
    Glad you brought up the ammo point Mike. My CW45 eats anything I feed it, except Tulammo. It does not like the steel case, and absolutely refuses to function with it. Anything else works like a dream.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm on board too. I have had mine for about a year and a half. I equipped it with a CT laser and wear it IWB in a High Noon Mr. Softy.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I bought mine two years ago, and had the trijicon tritium sights installed a few months after purchase. I only have around 1200 rounds through it, but absolutely NO malfunctions at all. My CW9 is one of my two favorite daily carries. Wonderful trigger system, smooth shooter, accurate and very easy to CC. I'm totally pleased.

Hello Matt,

Can't say about the CW9, specifically, but I have a CW45 and a CM9. Love 'em both.

I came REAL close to buying a CW9 after my experience with the CW45, but figured that I'd go for the smaller CM9. IMO Kahr has the best compact semi-autos out there, for the price. The PM series are a little pricey, but you're not giving up much getting the CW/CM line.

Regards,
    Jim

The CW9 has been very reliable for me, cycles and bangs each time I pull the trigger. I took it out last week and shot steel plates. Very pleased with the accuracy. I did have a few instances where it failed to return to battery after the last shot. Also, I am not excited about the empty magazine not clearing the mag well and not dropping to the ground- only drops about half an inch out of the grip. If you are looking for pocket carry this may not be the right choice. In hindsight I should have held out for the CM9 for a pocket carry option. I have added a hogue slip on grip and this has improved my accuracy. In my opinion this is a good choice for a single stack thin profiled semi auto.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I found that, as a dedicated CCW, I prefered the Kahr P9 to the CW9 because of several differences between the two models. They are mechanically the same, shoot the same, but the CW limitations made it less than ideal for me. Otherwise it is a very reasonably priced firearm. The extra mag deal is worth about $30, so that makes the price even sweeter.

I've found a grip sleeve greatly improves handling.

Pictured is my P45 because it was the best photo I have of the Hogue, but I've put the sleeves on every polymer Kahr I've owned; P9, CW9, P45, TP45 and TP9. Several brands of sleeve are avilable. The Pachmyer is the one I prefer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links