I don't think I can make the Walther PPS my carry gun

This is a discussion on I don't think I can make the Walther PPS my carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking for a single stack 9mm to be my carry gun. Posted several threads about it and finally decided on the Walther PPS. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I don't think I can make the Walther PPS my carry gun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was looking for a single stack 9mm to be my carry gun. Posted several threads about it and finally decided on the Walther PPS. Played a little bit with it at the gun store, seemed like it would be a great candidate as it fulfilled all my criteria, so I plunked down some bigger bucks than I was planning on and purchased it. It is not an inexpensive gun, but it got rave reviews.

I took the gun to the range to test it out and there is good and bad. First the good.

• EXTREMELY accurate. Not sure why, but I was able to shoot tighter groups under a rapid fire drill than I can with my Glock.
    • Very high quality
    • It ate everything I fed it and I tried a bunch of different ammo. Even some “remanufactured” ammo. Any HD load was no issue.
    • No noticeable recoil.
    • I put a Limbsaver grip on it and it made the gun even more comfortable.

Now the bad:
    • Several noticeable malfunctions. It has a Glock type trigger and I am not sure if it is my technique or the gun, but on several occasions, I pulled the trigger once and two shots went off.
    • The trigger reset is raspy at best.
    • On two occasions, I did a mag reload, racked the slide, the gun chambered a round but the trigger did NOT reset. Ooops. Not good.
    • The magazines are a bit clunky to use. They also have some interesting protrusions that can be painful if grabbed the wrong way.
    • This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the magazine release is way different than anything I have used. You use your trigger finger to pull down on the trigger guard to release the magazine. Makes it ambidextrous and I kind of like it, but in several drills, I went to my standard method of looking for the mag release on the grip and it was not there. This is, of course, a training issue, but I am thinking that all my platforms should be the same.

The gun is being shipped back to Walther for warranty repair. I sure hope they find the issues and it can be repaired as it is a nice gun and I would like to keep it. I do not think I could make it my carry gun though as it is different enough that under a stressful situation, I would find myself fumbling with controls, magazines, etc.

Just one man’s opinion.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

From what I hear, It's a great gun to shoot & carry ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

eb
    Ours remains flawless. I think we have about 2500 rounds through it now...

Sorry to hear you are not having much luck. I have a few hundred rounds through mine with almost zero problems. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. Once its up and running you may feel differently about the weapon. I just picked up a G19 as my primary, but the PPS will still be my backup and occasional primary.

I do agree about the mag release. Its annoying when everything else is a push button. Even a minute or two of releasing it makes me a lot more comfortable with it though. I find it helps to roll it in my hand so to say and use my thumb. Keeps it similar enough in operation.

I have not experienced the problems you mentioned and have close to 1,000 rounds down range. I'm sure S&W will take care of what ever the probs are.

eb
    I think I'm the only person that LIKES that mag release. I prefer it over the standard ones because the odds of popping it while holstered are near zero. I must be crazy, lol. Unfortunately that gun belongs to my wife, so I don't carry it. I would though...

JD
    Administrator
    I had some of the same growing pains with the mag release with my HK45, do lots and lots of dry practice and if you can practice THIS at the range, do so.

Other than a slide release lever breaking at the spring contact area, my PPS 9mm has been a solid performer. The replacement (newer) slide release lever is a modified design to prevent the problem I had.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the magazine release is way different than anything I have used. You use your trigger finger to pull down on the trigger guard to release the magazine. Makes it ambidextrous and I kind of like it, but in several drills, I went to my standard method of looking for the mag release on the grip and it was not there. This is, of course, a training issue, but I am thinking that all my platforms should be the same.
    ^^^This is the reason I never got one. I seriously considered it, but this difference in manual of arms vs what I'm constantly training with makes it a deal killer for me. It makes me sad that H&Ks have the same mag release feature.

Range gun - possibly. Carry gun- no for me.
    10thmtn and AZJD1968 like this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    ^^^This is the reason I never got one. I seriously considered it, but this difference in manual of arms vs what I'm constantly training with makes it a deal killer for me. It makes me sad that H&Ks have the same mag release feature.

Range gun - possibly. Carry gun- no for me.
    I've not found it that hard to transition back and forth. I've been primarily shooting the HK45 (Right handed- using my middle finger on the left side mag release lever) since Spring through a couple of training classes and several IDPA matches over the summer etc. and then ran a 1911 @ this months match, found the mag button without issue and had some pretty smooth reloads.

Your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've not found it that hard to transition back and forth. I've been primarily shooting the HK45 (Right handed- using my middle finger on the left side mag release lever) since Spring through a couple of training classes and several IDPA matches over the summer etc. and then ran a 1911 @ this months match, found the mag button without issue and had some pretty smooth reloads.

Your mileage may vary...
    JD - you're right. I've never tried it, but it worries me due to an anecdotal experience I had.

I tried a SERPA holster during one IDPA practice match. I practiced and practiced at home and I felt like I got it down, but when I went to a training match, I locked up. I didn't realize that during the "heat of the moment" my trigger finger went to a different groove on the SERPA and I couldn't unlock it. I eventually found the right "latch" and unholstered my pistol, but that took several seconds.

It was humbling and terrifying at the same time and I resolved to keep my carry gun/holster operation the same.

Ironically, the AR15 mag release is the trigger finger release (if you're right-handed). I think I should be able to distinguish the two during drills/events/matches, but I need to train more to be sure.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I have had my PPS for over a year now, and have been carrying it for the past few months. I have had none of these malfunctions that you have had, but have experienced all of the good things you said about it. I truly love this gun, and it is very comfortable to carry. As far as the mag release, I love it; more so than the traditional mag release, as one does not have to change their grip on the weapon, and I think it is somewhat faster and more fluid of a motion.

Give it a second chance, and some time to grow on you...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I am sorry that you had problems right out of the box. I love my PPS 40 and it is my carry gun. The trigger guard magazine release is its strong point. The location is easy to release without changing your grip and will not release when you draw from the holster. It is my everyday carry gun or my backup gun when I carry my Beretta PX4. I even prefer the PPS over the Beretta because the thumb safety on the PX4 is a little hard to flip up. The PPS lacks a thumb safety. I wish Walther would make a PPS 45.
    The limbsaver grip and XS big dot sight did help me with faster double taps.

I hope that Walther makes the necessary repairs for you and that it will give you years of service.

eb
    I solved that problem with my PX4 by never using the thumb safety. I load it up, decock the hammer using the safety, take the safety off, then pull the hammer back into the first position pulling it off the pin...
    Last edited by eb; September 26th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.

We have 3 walthers in the house, a P22, PK380, and a CP99. All 3 have the same mag release as you describe. I think it must be standard on all Walthers. I actually like it. That is the one thing I really do like about them. What I don't like are the safety mechanisms. On the P22 and PK380 you need two hands to disengage the safety. Maybe they did that on purpose to make the gun "more safe" but on the down side, in an emergency situation that would stink.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links