Be careful if you drop your glock

This is a discussion on Be careful if you drop your glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy of mine called me yesterday telling me about his father in law. We will call the father in law Jim. Jim has a ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Be careful if you drop your glock

A buddy of mine called me yesterday telling me about his father in law. We will call the father in law Jim. Jim has a glock chambered in 9mm. Dont know the exact model number. Well Jim was putting his glock away in his safe and he dropped it on the carpet. Jim carries WITHOUT a round in the chamber. Jim picks up the pistol and while opening the safe he didn't watch his trigger finger and the pistol fired. Now Jom has a nice dimple in his safe.

Jim was shocked as ever. After getting over the shock and the headache of the bang, Jim tried to replicate what just happened. Except for the firing part. Turns out if you drop your pistol on the ground grip first, there is enough momentum in the slide to chamber a round.

Moral of the story is keep you finger off the trigger unless you want it to go bang and if you drop your pistol make sure it is functioning properly and no damage is done.

Rule #1 of firearm safety - ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded and keep your finger off the trigger until you are sure of your target and ready to fire.

OpJ
    limatunes, Guest1 and msgt/ret like this.

Yeah, I dunno 'bout that. I don't want to call anyone a liar here but the slide would need to move back towards the grip end and then forward towards the muzzle end to chamber a round. Unless the GLOCK is severly worn or has been modified I don't see this happening. It would have to be dropped muzzle first and hit something that would pull the slide back to chamber a round. I could be wrong. Bottom line, I'm glad "Jim" is ok.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Yeah, I dunno 'bout that. I don't want to call anyone a liar here but the slide would need to move back towards the grip end and then forward towards the muzzle end to chamber a round. Unless the GLOCK is severly worn or has been modified I don't see this happening. It would have to be dropped muzzle first and hit something that would pull the slide back to chamber a round. I could be wrong. Bottom line, I'm glad "Jim" is ok.
    Yep, something is a little "off" with this tale.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I see your point but I can kinda see this happening. I dont own a glock so I cant test it myself but if you did drop the gun and it happened to land with the slide being vertical the forces would allow the slide to keep going down and chamber a round.

Whatever happened, rules of the gun were broken. I dont understand why he had his finger on the trigger in the first place.

Jim is fine except for the brown underpants and headache. There is bondo on the safe as I type.

VIP Member
    I think the general consensus from us Glock owners is gonna be that there's no way one is gonna chamber itself from the inertia of hitting the floor.

It is far more plausible that your friend forgot that there was a round in the chamber, combined with poor trigger discipline.

Either way, I'm glad he's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I see your point but I can kinda see this happening. I dont own a glock so I cant test it myself but if you did drop the gun and it happened to land with the slide being vertical the forces would allow the slide to keep going down and chamber a round.

Whatever happened, rules of the gun were broken. I dont understand why he had his finger on the trigger in the first place.

Jim is fine except for the brown underpants and headache. There is bondo on the safe as I type.
    Agreed. A good lesson here. Even if you know you carry unchambered and your gun is dropped, left unattended, left unsecured, ejected magazine is empty, or just really anytime you are getting ready to pull the trigger (and your not defending your life or competing) treat every gun as if it were loaded and keep your booger finger off of the boom switch.

Most of us have no idea what all happens to a gun when it is dropped. While I don't see a round being chambered from a drop, triggers could be engaged and safeties disengaged. Clear any dropped guns before going any further.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl and jem102 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Must have been one heck of a drop.

dropping a gun will chamber a round? Bwaaahhaaaaaaahaaa. Another Glock internet wives tale in progress.

I would guess that Father In Law Jim really screwed up, and this is the story he is telling his wife......it was that evil gun that just chambered a round and went off all by itself.
    Please....I mean really....I've been shooting Glocks for almost 20 years, and they have been accused of everything short of an all out frontal assault of Fort Knox.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    For your scenario to happen, the slide would have to be locked back with the barrel pointed down. It wouldn't happen with any major brand SD gun today. The forces aren't enough when dropping a gun from waist height. Just talking from a mechanical engineering standpoint.
    NCW Ray and jem102 like this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

He probably made it up to keep himself from looking like a tard. Which he does anyways for pulling the trigger.

BTW this thread was not to bash on glocks. Just a reminder to be careful when you drop a firearm because you never know what can let loose.
    HoganLongfellow likes this.

VIP Member
    Dropping a handgun is never a good time.

My last was skipping a loaded and chambered LCP across my basement floor. I thought I was gonna puke. Even so, no ND.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I would guess that Father In Law Jim really screwed up, and this is the story he is telling his wife......it was that evil gun that just chambered a round and went off all by itself.

LOL. Yup, sounds like the way it probably went down right there...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I don't see this as possible. If the gun hit muzzle first, the protruding muzzle from the slide would have absorbed the fall. If the slide hit first, the angle of the front sight would have caused it to "ricochet" in a sense. I dont see how that story could have possibly happened like that.

The story is bogus.

BUT - the greater danger is in trying to catch a falling gun. Modern handguns are drop safe, assuming they are in proper working order. I would hate to see someone read this nonsensical tale, drop a handgun, and then try to catch it. That has a very real risk of having your finger find the trigger, with all that entails. Bottom line - if you drop a handgun - LET IT FALL. That's easier said than done, as we naturally try to catch something that we've accidentally dropped.

Don't learn the wrong lesson from this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links