Considering a Revolver: S&W 442 / Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on Considering a Revolver: S&W 442 / Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These appear to be the best choices for small concealed carry revolvers, not to mention probably the most common. I haven't decided whether or not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Considering a Revolver: S&W 442 / Ruger LCR

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

These appear to be the best choices for small concealed carry revolvers, not to mention probably the most common.

I haven't decided whether or not to dive into the world of the revolver but I do have an interest in it. I've Googled it, watch the YouTube videos etc, but still don't have any one point that pushes me one way or the other.

Shooting them isn't much of an option, would cost almost as much in gas to do so.

So, I come to you - anyone own both or have strong comments one way or the other, or is there simply no clear winner here and you go with your gut feeling/which feels better.

Thanks, and yes - I did search for 442 vs lcr with 0 results so hopefully the search nazis don't show me up.

eb
    I rented both in 38 at the range. I bought the LCR because I found it much more pleasant to shoot and controllable with the rubber grip. There was nothing wrong with the Smith, I just don't like buying guns that hurt my hand to shoot, or I'll never practice with them. I have about 500 rounds through the LCR now, and have not had any issues at all. It carries really well, very light... I've found .38 special for about $16.99/50, so its not TOO bad to shoot every now and then price-wise.

Both are fine weapons. I don't understand the whole it will cost as much in gas to do so?? If you are purchasing something to carry and rely your life on, money should not be the issue.....

Do what I normally do...

Just buy one. Then, after a bit, decide you want the other one. Trade (at a huge financil loss) for the second. After a bit, decide the first was actually the better gun. Trade (at a huge financial loss) for the original choice...

Then, continue the above process with another pair of firearms (HK30 vs P01, PPS vs PF9, GP100 vs 686, SP101 vs M60...)
    augustday likes this.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    When I bought mine, the 442 wasn't in the running. After comparing the LCR with the Smith Bodyguard revolver, I went with the S&W.
    No regrets. After almost a year now, I would make the same decision again.
    The Smith with the integral laser was less money than the Ruger without a laser.
    Just my $.02

Got mine NIB for $429.00 at a gun show.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...7_757751_image
    Last edited by Stubborn; September 27th, 2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: add link
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That would be true if these weren't both tried and true guns, however they are very popular choices - but thanks for the concern, perceived or real. :)

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Both are fine weapons. I don't understand the whole it will cost as much in gas to do so?? If you are purchasing something to carry and rely your life on, money should not be the issue.....
    Thanks eb, that was helpful information - sounds like the LCR is a little more comfortable to shoot, might get bonus points from my wife if that's the case. :)

satori59, that's my typical procedure - and one I'm trying to avoid this go-around hahaha.

Stubborn, I'll have to check that one out as well - thanks!

I have the 442 its great .

I have a S&W 637 Airweight. I simply liked the feel of it better than the LCR. For a snubby the darn thing shoots excellent. I cant believe some of the groups I can shoot with it. And its a Smith and Wesson J-frame snubby and just looks better to me than the plastic Ruger "Buck Rogers-ish" revolver
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    That would be true if these weren't both tried and true guns, however they are very popular choices - but thanks for the concern, perceived or real. :)

Thanks eb, that was helpful information - sounds like the LCR is a little more comfortable to shoot, might get bonus points from my wife if that's the case. :)

satori59, that's my typical procedure - and one I'm trying to avoid this go-around hahaha.

Stubborn, I'll have to check that one out as well - thanks!
    I owned both and I found the LCR to be more recoil friendly. it has a much better trigger but the reset takes some getting used to. But the only way to tell is to shoot them. Any local boards where you can hook up with some members at a local range and try them out?

There's one, but the guys don't seem to be the type I'd typically associate with... at least their e-tittude makes it appear as such. I've since moved on from that forum and don't care to go back to it any time soon.

I'm in no hurry however, and I may end up near a location that has the guns for rent and take advantage of it - just wanted to get a feeler out there more than anything.

Neither.

Used M-36/37/49 for $199 - $250, then a hammer bob and spring replacement.

You will still be under your initial outlay for the 642/LCR.

Used Smith, a bit of upgrade and some 158 grain Hornady XTP...mmmmm

On budget, on target.

I am an LCR fan myself for reason stated above.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    Do what I normally do...

Just buy one. Then, after a bit, decide you want the other one. Trade (at a huge financil loss) for the second. After a bit, decide the first was actually the better gun. Trade (at a huge financial loss) for the original choice...

Then, continue the above process with another pair of firearms (HK30 vs P01, PPS vs PF9, GP100 vs 686, SP101 vs M60...)
    lol, so true

This is a case where all of the revolvers mentioned are good weapons, so its just a personal preference thing. I've never looked back after buying the Ruger, but its not because I thought the S&W was "bad". I just liked the Ruger better was all. I also prefer Ruger's cylinder release as you're less likely to maul your thumb on it, depending on how you're holding the gun. Shoot them all if you can. FWIW, my wife doesn't like shooting the LCR. I think its the big "flash" you get from a revolver and the fact that she is used to autos.

I don't have a 442. I do have a 438 and also an LCR . Both the S&W J Frame and the LCR should serve you well for light weight carry. Between the two light weights I own I'll give the nod to the LCR but it's just personal choice.
    Attached Images

Sold both my LCR and LCP: didn't like either one, but love my SP101 in .327 magnum--- especially since Gemini Customs did some great work on it! JMO.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links