I think I'm going to buy an M&P9 4.25" this weekend

This is a discussion on I think I'm going to buy an M&P9 4.25" this weekend within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking high and low, and haven't been able to find a local shop that can get their hands on a 4.25"n Pro ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I think I'm going to buy an M&P9 4.25" this weekend

I have been looking high and low, and haven't been able to find a local shop that can get their hands on a 4.25"n Pro Series, so I think I am going to pickup the standard version and then do the night sites and trigger work on my own. I've always been a Glock and Kahr guy, but have been admiring the M&P's from a far for quite some time now.

I'm still trying to decide on which night sights I want to go with, but know I don't want to go w/XS Big Dots for this gun (I already have them on my Kahr P9 and love them). I find that when I am doing basic range work (getting back to the basics: draw, trigger pull, breathing etc) I do better w/3 dot sights. I have Meps on my G19, and think that may be the dirrection I go...

Regarding the trigger work, do you folks thinks it's even worthwhile to make any changes from the stock trigger? I have been looking into the Apex DCAEK. Their website claims "The kit itself is engineered to be drop-in and should require NO further gunsmithing (however, armorer or gunsmith installation is recommended". I looked around, and there are plenty of videos on how to do it (some by Apex), but I am a little aprehensive about doing this myself. Has anybody done this job themselves? I am pretty handy and mechanically sensible, but I have absolutely no gunsmith training.

Any input you guys have regarding suggestions for sights, and the trigger work woruld be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    I think you should.

In regards to sights, (I'm just a bumpkin btw, not an expert) I prefer Trijicons. Big Dot often covers up my entire target, and others brands look too bright and fuzzy to me. The trijicons seem distinct and just bright-enough in low light. I also found an armorer that would do the front and rears for $20 a gun. Yes, I could probably do it myself, but this way I don't worry about some miserable gash across the slide. I'm not a fan of messing with the trigger on any carry firearm.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I own the M&P compact. So far I've been very satisfied with my stock 3 dot sights.
    I did send mine off for a trigger job. It had a gritty feel which probably would have gone away with use/break-in but I hated the reset.
    I was not comfortable doing trigger work on my EDC. For both reliability reasons as well as the legal implications if I did become involved in a shoot.
    I sent mine to Burwell Gunsmithing, if you Google Burwell, you will find he is the most prominet M&P doctor on the web. For $65.00 I got an OUTSTANDING trigger. Breaks clean and crisp at 4 1/2 lbs and the reset is not quite as good as a 1911, but it's dang close.
    I just can't say enough good things about Dan Burwells trigger job.

I do not regret buying my M&P, I am as happy with it as any handgun I've ever owned.I believe you will be very happy if you decide to buy.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I did the Apex DCAEK kit myself. Very simple just take your time. It made a vast improvement in the M&P trigger.

I have the factory 3 dot sights. I do like the look of the VTAC sights; though I haven't shot with them yet. Viking Tactics, Inc.

WHY!
    I have been looking high and low, and haven't been able to find a local shop that can get their hands on a 4.25"n Pro Series, so I think I am going to pickup the standard version and then do the night sites and trigger work on my own. I've always been a Glock and Kahr guy, but have been admiring the M&P's from a far for quite some time now.

I'm still trying to decide on which night sights I want to go with, but know I don't want to go w/XS Big Dots for this gun (I already have them on my Kahr P9 and love them). I find that when I am doing basic range work (getting back to the basics: draw, trigger pull, breathing etc) I do better w/3 dot sights. I have Meps on my G19, and think that may be the dirrection I go...

Regarding the trigger work, do you folks thinks it's even worthwhile to make any changes from the stock trigger? I have been looking into the Apex DCAEK. Their website claims "The kit itself is engineered to be drop-in and should require NO further gunsmithing (however, armorer or gunsmith installation is recommended". I looked around, and there are plenty of videos on how to do it (some by Apex), but I am a little aprehensive about doing this myself. Has anybody done this job themselves? I am pretty handy and mechanically sensible, but I have absolutely no gunsmith training.

Any input you guys have regarding suggestions for sights, and the trigger work woruld be greatly appreciated.

i have the pistol youre looking for... pro series 4.25 9mm, i also bought a standard full size M&P 9mm

i gotta tell you, the apex trigger is better than the pro version.

get the standard and get the apex, i installed it myself its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
    I did the Apex DCAEK kit myself. Very simple just take your time. It made a vast improvement in the M&P trigger.

I have the factory 3 dot sights. I do like the look of the VTAC sights; though I haven't shot with them yet. Viking Tactics, Inc.
    I was looking at the Viking Tactical sights, but can't bring myself to shell out $214 for them...

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    WHY!
    I love my Glocks, but the M&P feesl better in my hand. I don't plan on getting rid of any of my Glocks, but figured I'd try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I own the M&P compact. So far I've been very satisfied with my stock 3 dot sights.
    I did send mine off for a trigger job. It had a gritty feel which probably would have gone away with use/break-in but I hated the reset.
    I was not comfortable doing trigger work on my EDC. For both reliability reasons as well as the legal implications if I did become involved in a shoot.
    I sent mine to Burwell Gunsmithing, if you Google Burwell, you will find he is the most prominet M&P doctor on the web. For $65.00 I got an OUTSTANDING trigger. Breaks clean and crisp at 4 1/2 lbs and the reset is not quite as good as a 1911, but it's dang close.
    I just can't say enough good things about Dan Burwells trigger job.

I do not regret buying my M&P, I am as happy with it as any handgun I've ever owned.I believe you will be very happy if you decide to buy.
    Thanks for the tip on Burwell Gunsmithing! I am looking at their site now.

M&P is a great pistol. Enjoy either one you buy.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Thanks for the tip on Burwell Gunsmithing! I am looking at their site now.
    I went ahead and had the stippling done on mine while he had it. I figured I might as well while I was paying shipping.

M&P.jpg I don't know how well you can see from a crappy phone picture, but the spare mag is the factory texture.

He did the backstrap, frontstrap, trigger face, magazine finger extension, mag release and I had him "create" a finger rest on the frame. The texture is really nice on a hot, sweaty Florida day at the range.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My M&P Pro 9 in 4.25" with Trijicons is 10 months old with about 8,000 rounds through - generally 124gr FMJ's and JHP's both off the shelf and hand loads.

3 yards to 100 yards/day and night/quick or slow = no failures and solid accuracy.

Only issue is my eyesight - I cannot see the Trijicons very well in bright sunlight. May replace with alternative.

Very happy and recommended as it is my daily carry and work weapon.

VIP Member
    Gunbroker has two Pro series listed.

Now finding the M&P Spec ops or the two barrel threaded set is becoming an adventure in moving.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Gunbroker has two Pro series listed.

Now finding the M&P Spec ops or the two barrel threaded set is becoming an adventure in moving.
    I saw those, but I have not bought a gun online yet.

Don't know if this helps, but see if you can get the "Range Kit". It comes with three mags, a very good Bladetech holsters and a dual mag pouch and reloader. It's the best del in town.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links