32ACP in Ruger SP101, ,327 Mag?

This is a discussion on 32ACP in Ruger SP101, ,327 Mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Although the manual doesn't say it, I've read several places that the .32 acp can be shot in the SP101 .327 Mag. as well as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 32ACP in Ruger SP101, ,327 Mag?

Although the manual doesn't say it, I've read several places that the .32 acp can be shot in the SP101 .327 Mag. as well as the other three 32's(S&W 32,S&W 32 long, 32 H&R Mag.). Is this the case? Will it do any damage or can anything with .32 on it be used? Please enlighten me! Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    I don't believe you can fire .32 ACP through it. While the bullet diameter is compatible, it is a semi rimmed cartridge, unlike the others mentioned which are rimmed cartridges.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thought I had read that somewhere too. I loaded a single .32 acp into my Charter .327. It fits, and it extracts on the rim.

You can be the guinea pig and try it though.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I forget where I saw it, so take it for what it's worth, but somewhere I saw some reputable person stating that you could shoot .32 ACP in the .327 guns.

I certainly wouldn't worry about damaging a gun that was designed for .327 Magnum pressure with a dinky .32 ACP.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

THANKS for all the responses: I appreciate it very much.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I've fired .32 ACP with perfect satisfaction in a 1913 vintage Colt Police Positive chambered for .32 S&W Long. It was a huge non-event. The .32 ACP doesn't exactly "set the woods on fire" as far as pressure levels are concerned. Extended use of .32 ACP in any revolver with a longer chamber would build up enough crud to render chambering the correct ammunition difficult unless the chambers were thoroughly cleaned.

That's not to say that one should go around trying cartridges not designed for a certain firearm. In the case of the two .32s though it is a close enough fit and the .32 ACP cartridge case effects a proper gas seal.

The one I've long heard that doesn't work in my view is shooting .32 S&W Long in the .32-20 revolver. It's long been said that this works for emergency use and perhaps it does in the sense that it flings a bullet from the barrel. The .32-20 is a tapered bottleneck cartridge. The .32 S&W Long case swells horribly and splits half the time. I have some around here and they are funny looking things. Almost a "reverse bottleneck." Guess that would be a "bottlehead."
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

bmcgilvray:Sounds like you're right on! I just saw a response to a letter in "American Handgunner" in which the editor says one can use the acp in a S&W .327, so I guess that's the answer. Still, don't think I'll do it except for, maybe, a trial. I'll stick to the usual four slugs: 327 mag., 32 H&R mag., 32 S&W Long and 32 S&W. I do appreciate the wisdom of those of you who have been at this much longer than I have. Hey, is this a great gun site, or what!??

One word; Why?
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    One word; Why?
    Wondered if I was the only one thinking this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

WHY " WHAT!? I also read that the rims of the acp are not really designed for the 327 chamber. is this so, or not?!

Nope, They're not. It would be easy to have a .32 ACP case slip off the extractor and get under it while it was extended. No problem to pick out of there with one's fingers unless he was in the middle of an emergency and then it'd be a bummer.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    One word; Why?
    Why not?

.32 ACP ammo is cheaper and more plentiful than any of the revolver based .32 variants. The SP-101 in .327 Magnum would make a neat little plinker with .32 ACP ammo. If you reload, then obviously this doesn't matter, but if you don't, then the ability to shoot .32 ACP is a neat feature that can save you some money. Especially if you already own a .32 ACP pistol of some kind.
    Danimal likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Why not?

.32 ACP ammo is cheaper and more plentiful than any of the revolver based .32 variants. The SP-101 in .327 Magnum would make a neat little plinker with .32 ACP ammo. If you reload, then obviously this doesn't matter, but if you don't, then the ability to shoot .32 ACP is a neat feature that can save you some money. Especially if you already own a .32 ACP pistol of some kind.
    True that, amigo.

If you just want a cheap plinker and economy is the driving force behind it, a 22 lr makes a hellava lot more sense. But, to each his own.

Last I checked, the 32acp ammo isn't exactly priced for plinking. And if you reload, you wouldn't use 32 acp with the 32 long brass available.

It wouldn't take too much plinking with factory bought ammo to equal the money it would take to buy the sp101 in .22 , just sayin....
    mr surveyor and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

A .357 SP-101 makes a heck of a lot more sense to me than a .327, but if gun purchases were based only on what "makes sense," then the firearms market would be a lot smaller. I tend to enjoy the variety that's available in our great country, and don't really focus much on "why." If I had to ask myself "why" before every gun purchase, all I really NEED is a good carry piece, a good shotgun, and a good tactical rifle. Being open minded keeps my gun collection a little more interesting.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links