What's wrong with my Kel-Tec?

This is a discussion on What's wrong with my Kel-Tec? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aside from being a Kel-Tec :) Was at the range with my dad today, enjoying a nice rainy day. Shooting my P3AT because I haven't ...

Thread: What's wrong with my Kel-Tec?

What's wrong with my Kel-Tec?

Aside from being a Kel-Tec :)

Was at the range with my dad today, enjoying a nice rainy day. Shooting my P3AT because I haven't shot it in a long time. Since it's my workday carry gun, I wanted to make sure it still functioned. Well, I was shooting WWB in it, which it apparently hates. It shoots Hornady CD flawlessly. With the WWB, it kept leaving the spend casing in the chamber, or halfway in the chamber. Did this 4 times in a box of 50 rounds. It's never done this before. I attributed that to being WWB since it was shooting Hornady CD just fine and it has shot PMC just fine in the past.

Anyway, onto my actual, serious concern. Right towards the end of shooting the trigger started to feel weird. I shrugged it off because I was shooting it back to back with my 1911. Kel-Tec trigger vs 1911 trigger, Kel Tec is bound to feel weird. Anyway, it started to not release the hammer. I can pull the trigger ALL the way back until it touched the frame and it won't release the hammer. I field striped it and can't see what's going on. Any ideas? I'm glad it's my Kel-Tec and not one of my other pistols. The only bad part it, I rely on my Kel-Tec 5 days a week. Carried in my pocket for 9-10 hours a day.

Tomorrow I guess my Glock or 1911 will go to work with me, but will have to stay in the car :(

Here is a video on youtube. NOT my video. Guy was having the exact same problem. His solution was filing away at the frame behind the trigger because the trigger is contacting the frame before releasing the hammer. That may fix it and all, but that doesn't seem like a legitimate solution.

Kel Tec 380 P3AT Fail - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

FIXED IT!

That didn't take long. There is a pin in the back of the trigger that goes vertically through the frame. It started to shift downward hitting the frame as the trigger was pressed completely against the frame. I pushed it back up and it works like a charm. :D:D:D:D:D

Now note to self. No more WWB in my Kel-Tec.
    Last edited by RKM; September 28th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.

I had the exact same problem with my P3AT and had to send it back to Kel-Tec 3 times before they finally fixed it.The third time i sent it back i called them and insisted on speaking to a manager and told him the problem and that this was the third time i sent it back for the same problem and my life depends on this gun and i thought i has purchased a quality gun and i wanted a new gun or at least put my slide on a new frame which is what he said he would do and its been flawless over 500 rounds ever since. I have two of them and have not had any problem with the one. I guess its like anything else,sometimes you get a lemon. Call them first and tell them your problem and tell them to send you a UPS pick-up tag so you don't have to pay to send it back. Good Luck. I hope it doesn't take you 3 times to get it fixed.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

MY P3AT eats WWB like it is candy and never complains.

Good info about the pin, thank you!!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I looked mine over and that wasn't the problem with mine. it was something internal.I hope that fixes yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    FIXED IT!

That didn't take long. There is a pin in the back of the hammer that goes vertically through the frame. It started to shift downward hitting the frame as the trigger was pressed completely against the frame. I pushed it back up and it works like a charm. :D:D:D:D:D

Now note to self. No more WWB in my Kel-Tec.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

After figuring out the problem, I googled it. Found this.

P-32 and P-3AT Trigger Pin

Also, ordered an extractor and extractor spring just to ease my mind about the FTE's. I'm almost certain in was WWB's fault. It was shooting the Hornady perfectly.
    Last edited by RKM; September 28th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Glad your fix was easy...KelTec has great CS if you need it.
    I have the first Gen P-3AT and have had it a long time...never a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

and fix the extractor..... while you are at it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have never had a problem with my P3AT and I have had it for 6-7 years. It has only jammed once and that was from a weak hand shot that I limp wristed. OK guys no jokes about the limp wrist.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

My P11 took a crapper last week,use it as a backup/car gun,first 2 rounds were good,then started having FTFire trigger/hammer issues and slide locking back every couple rounds,probably get it fixed and sell it,then look fer a replacement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links