Night sight options at IDPA

This is a discussion on Night sight options at IDPA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shoot with an XD(m) 3.8 compact at IDPA. IPSC, and steel matches. As the weather cools, I will hopefully carry this sidearm. Now I ...

Thread: Night sight options at IDPA

Night sight options at IDPA

I shoot with an XD(m) 3.8 compact at IDPA. IPSC, and steel matches. As the weather cools, I will hopefully carry this sidearm. Now I carry a Ruger LC9 with no laser, but I know I can get one. My other carry is a S&W 637 stubby with Crimson Trace grip. I'm not satisfied with the three dot sight on my XD(m) for targets or night sighting. I'd like to practice(matches) with sights that would function well in a defensive encounter. I would expect a sidearm to be used at night.
    There are many night sight options. I'm wondering if a ghost ring rear sight with four glowing dots and a glowing front sight of the same or contrasting color is a useful option. It's unorthodox, but I see how it may decrease the sight picture rough variance. I think it would strongly direct my eye to the small field of vision around a defined sight picture.
    I'm not shooting for bullseyes, but I want to shrink the spot I'm shooting for. The three white dote seem like I don't see the spaces on either side of the front sight enough to keep from moving off laterally. My brain's arguing whether to sight on the top of the sights or the dots. Sometimes I do both.
    Sights for night defensive use that would work well for matches? I'm open to anything. Glow paint, black on the back, etc. I don't want to waste money or miss when it counts.
    Skillet Hot!

2. Remove Ads

TRU-GLO T.F.O's,best of both worlds.

You want a front sight that is thin enough that there is light on either side between the notch of your rear sight. Equal height, equal light.....meaning the top of your front sight should be even with the top of your rear sight and there should be equal light on either side of the front sight.

Trijicons are good.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Ghost ring sights will not be legal in IDPA or USPSA (IPSC is the foreign version of that). I'd buy a good flashlight instead of going with night sights though--far more useful and you may shoot the right guy that way.

Heads up--XDs are notorious for having out of spec sight dovetails. You probably won't be able to do it yourself, it'll probably need to be custom fit. You may be lucky, but the ones I've done have been a pain in the kiester.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Alright. Ghost ring is out. I'm so glad I asked!
    AmeriGlo sells a front/rear sight tool for XD. Will this make it easier or should I plan on taking this to a gunsmith? I would like to be to be able to change sights to see what I like best. And, I need to stay out of gun stores. I get a strange euphoria at those places.
    I do plan on getting a couple tactical flashlights. Super bright and tough.
    Skillet Hot!

Meprolight night sights have a more distinct white surround cushion around the tritium lamp that is a lot more visible during the day than Trijicons are. The Meprolights also have a clear sealer over the lamp and vial so that no dirt or fuzz can collect inside.

Ameriglo has just recently come out with night sights that have a very prominent orange surround. You can definitely see these day or night.

I like Warren Tacticals with a tritium front and plain black rear sight.

Links