Who owns or carry a S&W 19?

This is a discussion on Who owns or carry a S&W 19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think I am going to purchase a 19-7 tomorrow and would like to know who stands by theirs? It may even see some serious CCW ...

Thread: Who owns or carry a S&W 19?

Think I am going to purchase a 19-7 tomorrow and would like to know who stands by theirs? It may even see some serious CCW time.

I have a 19-5 4 inch and a 66-1 4 inch I carry. They both are accurate and never had a problem with them.

I own

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    Think I am going to purchase a 19-7 tomorrow and would like to know who stands by theirs? It may even see some serious CCW time.
    I own a S&W 19-3 4''. I carry it 90% of the time over my automatics.

as far as standing by it:

I would take it to the GATES OF HELL and SLAP THE GATEKEEPER with it!

How's that for an answer

All kidding aside; the model 19 is known to be the finest combat revolver of all time. And it certainly lives up to the reputation. I would be willing to bet that there is no other revolver on earth that has seen as much action as the Model 19. For the money you can't beat it. One suggestion: when shooting full power magnum loads choose a bullet over 135 grs I have heard of problems with the lighter grained magnum loads.
    Last edited by Echo Six; August 10th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptable struggle."
    - EDMUND BURKE

http://tacticalhq.org

I have one. I've never carried it. I'm a far better shot with my 1911s and I can reload them much faster.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    I have a beautiful Nickel 4" 19-3. It it a very well balance gun, and even though a lot of folks say not to feed it a steady diet of .357, it has done just fine for me. It is not my carry gun. It belonged to my father and I inherited it after he passed away, it has sentimental value so it doesn't get carried at all or shot much any more. But I do shoot it occasionally.

Here is an article I found on the 19.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Assistant Administrator
    I have a nice earlier M19-3 but being a 6" it would not be a carry gun - still a lovely revo tho and a pleasure to own and shoot.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I bought the 19-7 today & I am very satisfied with my decision. Its my first blue revolver. I love this finish, its awesome. I paid $375.00 OTD because the store owner wouldn't budge on the price. I brought it home and cleaned it like it was for a military boot camp inspection. She sparkles like a star in the midnight sky. Tomorrow she will be tested (100 rds. 130gr .38spl, 12 rds. 158gr. LSWCHP .38+P, and 12 rds. Winchester 145gr. .357 magnum Silvertips) and we will see what its made of. I will post pictures soon.

Thanks for the imput.

I've got a 4" Mod19, 1989 vintage. I've fired it a lot and would have no problems using it for defense (especially as a backwoods gun with different loads for different uses), but I prefer my BHP for CCW.

The Mod 19 is a little bulky for me for summer use, but doable for cold weather. Defensive load of choice for me is 38spl +P, 158gr LSWCHP .
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I own a Model 66 with a 3" barrel and love it, but its just alot larger than any of my autos so I dont carry it as a protection weapon, unless I'm hunting. That is one time that I do carry it and it fits in quite well. I use a Uncle Mikes nylon belt holster and two speedloaders in a pouch also by UM. That revolver was carried for many a year as a defensive weapon and would still work, just that most prefer to carry an auto now days.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thumbs up

I still carry a K frame .357 pretty often, depending. Spark's IWB & belt, Split Six pouches, Speed Strips, and a second. It is hard to give up that kind power, accuracy, and handling.

With practice and Comp II's, they reload quicker than most people with autos.

Congrats on your M19.
    John

Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carryed one for duty quite a bit pre 586 -686 days , carried a 2.5 " offduty for a while there after . Not a dammed thing wrong with them , and i shure would not feel underarmed carrying one today .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have a Model 19-3 with a 4 inch barrel. It is a beauty to behold and a mighty fine weapon on the firing line. For years my beautiful bride kept it on her bed side table. I never carried it since I have always preferred John Brownings 1911's. However, I would not feel lightly armed with the Model 19 in my holster.

i got my first model 19 with the four inch barrel in 1973. still got the gun and it has never given me any problems. it was my first duty gun back in the days when you had to buy your guns for the job. got it at the local hardware store for around $100.00 or less.

Links