Glock 36

Glock 36

This is a discussion on Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to the range with a few buddies. One of them brought his Glock 36 (.45 ACP) for me to shoot. I've been ...

Thread: Glock 36

Glock 36

Yesterday I went to the range with a few buddies. One of them brought his Glock 36 (.45 ACP) for me to shoot. I've been shooting for over ten years and I have never fired a .45. I must say that it shot extremely well. It didn't seem to kick much harder than my Glock 19 with 115 gr 9mm +p+ rounds.

I like the fact that it is a little slimmer than most Glocks and it has a single stack magazine. 6+1 for capacity may seem light next to 15+1 in my G19 and 10+1 in my G27, but with 230 gr .45ACP, 7 rounds should do just fine. Especially with the extra mag. My birthday is coming up soon and I've already dropped hints to the wife. Wish me luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    I like the G36. I think it nicely fills a little niche with good power & very easy conceal-ability and great reliability but, w/ some sacrifice of grip length & capacity. Plus one magazine extensions are available.
    Equipped with an internal laser & night sights it's an awesome, compact large caliber personal defense firearm.
    Of course some will have differing opinion but, I love mine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I sold my 30 and bought a 36. To me it's just a little easier to conceal.

Not much difference in size between the G30 and the G36. I own both, but the wife stole the 36 for her carry gun and for Christmas I installed a Lasermax on it. She has shot most calibers and lots of different weapons, but she really digs the G36 and is really accurate with it.
    ...one jagged hole!

The lure of little .45s

Most of us, at some point in our shooting careers, become entranced by the idea of a small, compact .45 for concealed carry. And until recent years, there weren't that many of them available on the market.

The Glock 36 has only been out there for a few years, and is still the only single stack Glock made. At a reasonable price of just over $500, it is a powerful and concealable gun. I have a couple of Glocks in 9mm and .40 caliber, and thought hard about a Glock 36 when the lure of the small .45 bit me.

But I also like 1911s, and decided to go that route instead, with a Colt Defender. When you compare the G36 with the Defender or similar Kimber and Springfield 3-inch 1911s, you don't see much difference in size. The G36 weighs 22.5 ounces empty, according to the Glock website, and the 3 inch 1911s generally weigh about 24.5 ounces empty, having aluminum frames instead of polymer.

When you compare the length, width and height of the G36 with the little 1911s, they are almost exactly the same (with thin grip panels on the 1911s). And you can get 7+1 rounds in all of them, if you choose the right magazines.

So if you're thinking about a G36, you should also look at the 3 inch barrel 1911s, as they fit the same size envelope and shoot the same caliber. They cost a little more, but have better ergonomics, a more pleasing trigger pull, and an external safety.

G19
    Not to rain on your parade......but I had a G36 that just wasn't reliable enough to carry. Malfunctioned about once or twice in every 50 rounds. I've been shooting a long time and I know that it wasn't a "weak wristing" problem. Tried many different kinds of ammo and even sent it back to Glock. They checked it over, said it was fine and sent it back - same problem continued. I really liked the gun - it felt great in my hand and concealed really well. I wish it had been more reliable. Not sure - maybe I just had a "lemon". Eventually ended up selling it and now carry a G26. Maybe someday I'll try a 36 again. Good luck.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    All " sub compact " ( smaller than commander size ) .45s are a hit or miss proposition imho , some run fine , some take a bit of work . If possible shoot the particular one you choose before you draw your wallet . that being said, if you like glocks ( or can live with them ) they are as good a choice as any imho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I always post this link as a reference to a discussion about Glock 36 problems amongst people whose opinions I hold in high regard.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=11156

True, We've only shot my G36 500 or 600 rds with no problems at all. My 30 has had thousands of rounds through it. I guess the wife and I better make it a priority to shoot the heck out of the 36. I'll start this weekend and let you know. I have been interested in the new XD45, but I'd have to pry the 36 away from her ...Hmmh
    ...one jagged hole!

If I was going to carry a glock the 36 would be the one.

Years ago, I carried a model 21 (when they 1st came out)

Shot great but it was like trying to carry a shoe box around with me.

The 36 is a vast improvement.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I've got small hands so my 1911A1 and S&W 5906 never were a good fit. About six months ago I purchased a G36. It 's the perfect fit for me, shots well and is very concealable.

the g36 is a great cary gun. i think i got about 1,300 rounds down range in mine without any problems. great gun, but i carry a g27 and g22 on duty. the g36 is my fun day at the range gun.

Administrator
    Mine has never had a failure to function of any sort and has been nothing but typical Glock A#1 reliability.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links