What is the "One" handgun you wouldn't buy?

This is a discussion on What is the "One" handgun you wouldn't buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the years I have purchased numerous firearms. There has been some that I've regretted after I've sold them and then there has been others ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the "One" handgun you wouldn't buy?

Over the years I have purchased numerous firearms. There has been some that I've regretted after I've sold them and then there has been others that I've regretted after purchasing, immediately either trading or selling them.

The one handgun that I would never ever own is the Beretta 92.

A friend several years ago purchased one which of course we had to immediately headed to the range. After running through a couple boxes of ammo I ask him where was the boat? With a puzzle look, he ask me what I was talking about till I explained what the lanyard on the Beretta was really used for. He wasn't amused.

After all the hype by the military and some of the then gun gurus, I was expecting some wonder pistol. But in reality, all the Beretta proved to be was an over sized, over priced, and over hyped boat anchor. This would also include it's clones in my opinion.

I just wonder what liberal congressman (has to be a liberal to allow the American fighting man/woman to be equip with such a piece of junk) profited from that sale?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I had a Glock .40 S&W that I absolutely HATED. It may be well made and I know people swear by it, but I NEVER WILL own another
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Hi Point
    SIG
    Beretta
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

english webley bulldog (?)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Any Glock.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Cheap!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

One that can't be 99.99% reliable. Very, very few meet this standard of reliability (> 99.99%). To me, anything worse than 1 explainable failure of any kind in 1000 rounds is too much, at least for a carry piece. Am looking for a quarter of that failure rate, personally.

Had a Browning BDM 9mm that did, and am in the process of breaking in a second one. It's the only one that approached my desired reliability rate, once it was broken in. Sent over 35K rounds through it and, by that time, it worked every time. In the last 10K rounds of use on that one, I only had a couple failures ... both explained.

Currently, am breaking in a CZ P-01 9mm for carry which, after it comes back from the gunsmith from a trigger/action job, should be dead flat reliable. I've been hammering it at the range, with all sorts of loads, and it's had three explained jams, two of which were caused (IMO) by severe lack of cleaning (done deliberately during the break-in phase). Had a S&W J-frame 442 Airweight for years that worked very well. Have just purchased a KelTec P3AT 380ACP, to test it for possible use as a BUG, but the jury's out until I can put a few thousand rounds through and gauge the reliability, pick the right ammo, etc.

That said, I've got small hands. The only Glock I could handle was the G19. Can't hold any Beretta. No double-stack 1911 fits well. On many, the controls are simply too rough to manipulate under duress (or, tough given an old hand injury). That relegates my choices to: thinner designs, no external safeties, easily manipulated slide release and mag release controls, mid- to high-capacity, concealability, relatively light weight, perfect reliability. There are only a dozen or so that I've ever found that fit this bill, revolvers included.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    Hi Point
    SIG
    Beretta
    I don't see the problem with hi-point, nor sig. But, I run hipointtalk.com .... :)

Personally, I'm almost to 10,000 through my CF380... :)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Administrator
    I would shy away from any used, vintage, or earlier Taurus firearms (mostly their early wheel guns) due to their extremely spotty quality control and high catastrophic/unpredictable failure rate.

Oh & The Walther P38 which I consider to be a totally worthless classic firearm "CLUNK"

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    Hi Point
    SIG
    Beretta
    Curious. Why SIG?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Kimber, actually any Kimber product. Had three. Multiple trips back to the manufacturer in Yonkers NY, on my dime. Multiple trips to the local gunsmith, who is very talented, and got two to run well enough to dump. The third a Stainless Target II, he says needs an exorcist, not a smith. I'm keeping it as a reminder. A rusting, single shot, over priced, over hyped, POS reminder. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

This is a hard one, I guess I always stick to name brand gun makers. However, it all boils down to preference, Ford or Chevy.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I changed my mind. I would buy a Kimber again, before I'd buy a S&W revolver that has an internal lock. Thanks. Regards 18DAI.

I own a Charter Arms 2000 Undercover .38. Been back to factory twice. First time bent ejector rod right out of the box 2nd time broken transfer bar. I would like to believe that all of the bugs have been worked out at this point. Both were warranty repairs. Turn around time was great from CA.

But in my mind I can't trust it. Don't think I'll be buying another anytime soon. So anybody want to buy a Charter Arms 2000 undercover .38? asking $150 :)

Lead Moderator
    A Taurus PT 140, since mine Kb'ed. No Jennings, Hipoint , Raven arms either.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links