The newest addition: S&W M&P VTAC pistol

This is a discussion on The newest addition: S&W M&P VTAC pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wanting to pick one of these up since they were introduced. Before handling one, I thought the sights were overly complicated with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MilitaryArms

Thread: The newest addition: S&W M&P VTAC pistol

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

The newest addition: S&W M&P VTAC pistol

I have been wanting to pick one of these up since they were introduced. Before handling one, I thought the sights were overly complicated with 6 dots. I thought perhaps it was too many things to sort out when trying to get a sight picture, but then I picked one up and realized the system works amazingly well in any light conditions you may encounter. No matter what the ambient light, you have bright green dots, just 3 of them.

The FDE appeals to me too. I've been saying that FDE is the new black for a while now.

The color of the pistol and the sights are the only two real differences between this pistol and a standard M&P 9mm. Here's a close up of the sights for those that haven't seen them and are curious.

They're not cheap, I paid $700 for this copy. But I'm really liking the pistol. Rumor has it the sights will be for sale shortly at which time my other M&P will probably adopt a set.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Bad a$$ looking pistol. Interesting concept on the sights. So in low light do the lower sights become the "only" sights that are visible? From the picture that you showed, the tops sights do jump out at you. Just curious what it would look like at night.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Bad a$$ looking pistol. Interesting concept on the sights. So in low light do the lower sights become the "only" sights that are visible? From the picture that you showed, the tops sights do jump out at you. Just curious what it would look like at night.
    Yup, that's how it works. In low light the fiber optic sights go dim and the tritium sights glow green. You only see 3 dots... it's pretty impressive.

Congrats on the new M&P awesome setup you got there. I have the plain jane M&P9c and love it, but I might look towards one like yours for home defense down the road; one could do a whole lot worse IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Yup, that's how it works. In low light the fiber optic sights go dim and the tritium sights glow green. You only see 3 dots... it's pretty impressive.
    Very cool. I had been considering an M&P9. That may be the way to go. Thanks for sharing.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Sturm,

You are killing me dude! I have been wanting one of these for a while. I swear that you and I like the same guns and gear. Are you going to do a video review of the new M&P? I know you typically have been a Glock guy could this possibly make it into your carry rotation?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

This is my second M&P 9mm. The first one I bought only a few weeks ago. It has really impressed me so far and yes, I believe this is the first pistol to come along that may actually get me to give up the G19 as my daily carry. We'll see, but it's really making a big splash with me.

I will do a review of the VTAC here in the next few weeks.
    guardmt likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    This is my second M&P 9mm. The first one I bought only a few weeks ago. It has really impressed me so far and yes, I believe this is the first pistol to come along that may actually get me to give up the G19 as my daily carry. We'll see, but it's really making a big splash with me.

I will do a review of the VTAC here in the next few weeks.
    I was a Glock guy for years and made the switch. M&P's are just good pistols. My EDC is an M&P9c with an apex kit installed and I love it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I looked at one of these at my LGS recently. Really cool gun, but it reminded me of this:

Sights are available at Viking Tactics, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by nralifer4570 View Post
    Sights are available at Viking Tactics, Inc.
    I was interested in the sights since I have a M&P45c with white dots,but $215.00 is about 1/2 the price I paid for my pistol,may have to wait and buy a gun with the sights installed.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links