Switching between trigger types

This is a discussion on Switching between trigger types within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive never given this much thought untill now. I have DA revolvers and semi autos as well as DA/SA as well as Glocks. I really ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hardluk1

Thread: Switching between trigger types

Ive never given this much thought untill now. I have DA revolvers and semi autos as well as DA/SA as well as Glocks. I really think that changing between the triggers reduces my control. I find I shoot my DA's fairly accurate yet when I switch to either SA or Glock trigger being lighter I get careless with trigger control. I guess Ive always used the excuse of spray and pray but I think its just lack of focus. I think its just so easy to pull the trigger that I dont concetrate as much with the fundamentals. I think the DA forces me to slow down and concentrate on technique. With the DA I have to slow down to focus on smooth pull. Where as when I change to the lighter triggers I am guilty of snatching the trigger. I dont fault the trigger types I fault the trigger puller. Just realized thought I would share does anyone else notice. Do you find you shoot one type better than others?

VIP Member
    Hi,

This can definitely be the case when going back and forth. You kind of have to slow down and adapt to what you are shooting.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I think my main reason for sharing this thought was to serve as a reminder to myself.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I shoot several types for handguns da/sa revolvers, SA pistols and DA pistols. I carry 1 of 2 kahrs . No matter how much I shoot the others I allways finish the range time with the carry pistols just to keep my trigger finger tuned just to them. Carried a DA style trigger for 26 years
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

I find the same to be true so I picked up a FS 45 and 9mm which I held side by side and pulled both triggers. They were very, very close so I bought both and use the 9 for practice and the 45 to be used for home defense, is just fired to ensure it will feed the HP's I use and where it hits on the target. I have a 380 bodyguard that is my concealed carry gun so I try to shoot that by itself. This gun has a long and heavy pull that I like for a SD gun but it does throw me a curve when I go to the range with all three. The real fun for me comes when I add my Ruger Mark III as this trigger is so different I have to load the gun, point it down range and just run through a mag just to refresh my memory. You people are right, switching guns and trigger's can be confusing. Thanks for the post, good subject.
    Be Safe, Frank.

I had the same problem with my glock having to light of a trigger compared to my other main carry guns.
    So I put a NY 1 trigger spring in it, now it is just right.

I think that rate of fire has a greater effect on trigger control than trigger type.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I shoot several types for handguns da/sa revolvers, SA pistols and DA pistols. I carry 1 of 2 kahrs . No matter how much I shoot the others I allways finish the range time with the carry pistols just to keep my trigger finger tuned just to them. Carried a DA style trigger for 26 years
    One of my number one range trip rules too!

For a while, I had different types of triggers. DA/SA Beretta and CZs, SAO 1911s, Glock SA trigger. I think it's easier to stick with one type and train with that. I'm pretty used to my Glock trigger now and enjoy shooting it the most. I used to love DA/SA triggers, but now prefer a consistent trigger pull, whether it's a long revolver pull or shorter Glock style. I've still got a CZ-75, but I shoot it competitively in SA mode.

I had trouble with long DA trigger pulls for a while because my accuracy was always off. I'm getting ready to pick up a Kahr, so I will have to train with that.

I shoot everything equally bad,Injury and 53 yoa Eyesight are taking their toll,What helps me and I shoot new guns all the time,(friend seems to show up with a new one almost weekly)If you concentrate on sight alignment and trigger squeeze, everything else falls in place,one thing I won't carry is a gun with a target trigger,friend has an STI 40 a hummingbird fart could set it off,first time I shot it I was thinking about squeezing the trigger and boom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links