Buy now or save for...

Buy now or save for...

This is a discussion on Buy now or save for... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This isn't a thread to help decide between guns. This is a thread to help me evaluate if more $ = a better firearm. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buy now or save for...

This isn't a thread to help decide between guns. This is a thread to help me evaluate if more $ = a better firearm. I have enough to purchase a Kahr CM9/P9. However, I handled the SA EMP 9MM...drool. Is this gun, worth the extra 4-600? I know, only I can decide that...but I'm looking for inputs on those who have the EMP. It would be an EDC gun (either choice).

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Since the gun is going to be a carry...are you familiar with the operation of the 1911-thumb safety?

The Kahrs you've listed are all DA - and you've got a Glock trademark as your Avatar, so I'm assuming that you currently own/prefer carry firearms that have no "manual safeties," right?

I am very used to the Glock/Kahr system, yes owned a G17/26. However, I'm also familiar with 1911 style operation. In fact, I like the cocked/locked - safety on and grip safety on the EMP.

Since you apparently have a EDC,I personally like the 1911 platform,I coulda bought pretty much 2 of any standard carry guns for what I paid for my Colt Stainless CC XSE,some guns just stand out above the others and you can pimp a 1911
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    We could give you all the advice in the world but only you can decide which one you will really be happy with. My only advice, and something that I generally follow myself is this; If you aren't sure about something, and you don't HAVE to make a decision, then don't. Sit on it for a little while.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    This is a thread to help me evaluate if more $ = a better firearm.
    Just for this part of the question....a definite maybe. Generally with any complicated machinery (handguns qualify!) - you get what you pay for. Sure there's lots of exceptions to the rule...and you don't have to spend a lot of $$ to get a good handgun, but if you DO spend a lot of $$ you usually get a better one.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Being in a similar predicament - I decided to chill a bit and read, read and read about my choices. I've requested help here (in another forum) and got some great input. One thing I have learned is that more money does not necessarly mean a better gun but more so more features and adaptibility to use/add other features. Had I spent an additional $100.00 on a 1911 I would have had the ability to add aftermarket sights. That $100.00 is now more like $200.00 for machining to be able to add sight options. In retrospect, I should have given thought to a rail on the front should I ever choose to add an accessory. I now also see the benefit, after the fact, that ambi safety would be a good choice should my strong hand be incapacitated in some way. This all applies to a 1911 platform but I sincerely hope it is in some way helpful to you in your choices.

My best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

When you already have an EDC firearm that is dependable, I'd wait to buy the 'dream' you really want.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    I am very used to the Glock/Kahr system, yes owned a G17/26. However, I'm also familiar with 1911 style operation. In fact, I like the cocked/locked - safety on and grip safety on the EMP.
    Cool. You're all set there, then.

But unfortunately, that definitely doesn't make the decision any easier!

VIP Member
    I would be dollars to doughnuts that the Khar would be more reliable. I love 1911's and I enjoy shooting the EMP, but I hear those little guys are a bit picky.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The Springfield EMP is what I am drooling over and saving cash for now. I had a Kahr CW45 and traded it away for the SA GI 1911. I also have the XDsc and XD4 inch model. The only other brand I own is a Sig (p238). So for my money I would rather pay more for the SA than to get another Kahr.

Those are some very different guns you are considering. The CM9 would have the benefit of fitting in most pockets, while the P9 and the EMP really won't. So, if pocket duty is a consideration, that makes the choice much easier. If not - then choose whichever one you like.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    The Springfield EMP is what I am drooling over and saving cash for now. I had a Kahr CW45 and traded it away for the SA GI 1911. I also have the XDsc and XD4 inch model. The only other brand I own is a Sig (p238). So for my money I would rather pay more for the SA than to get another Kahr.
    That's great and all, but the responses are geared toward the OP.

Love my EMP....it's beautiful and shoots like a dream at the range.....but is a bit finicky with ammunition. That's why I rely on my Glock....will eat any ammo and spit out!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 32autoD View Post
    Love my EMP....it's beautiful and shoots like a dream at the range.....but is a bit finicky with ammunition. That's why I rely on my Glock....will eat any ammo and spit out!
    Refer to post #10 on this thread! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links