My new PT145 - what Generation?

This is a discussion on My new PT145 - what Generation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First time post, pleasure to be here. I am in the process of buying a used PT145, duotone black frame-stainless slide. I am having trouble ...

Thread: My new PT145 - what Generation?

My new PT145 - what Generation?

First time post, pleasure to be here. I am in the process of buying a used PT145, duotone black frame-stainless slide. I am having trouble identifying what generation it is. I have read so much but am still confused. It appears to have features of 1st and 2nd generation. The serial number only appears on a metal plate at rear of the gun (NUH *****). This indicates it was produced in July 2001. I could not find the SN on the slide anywhere. It has the TSS security system (2nd Gen?). There is only Millenium on it, not Pro (1st Gen). It has a textured grip (2nd Gen?). I am not sure what action the tirgger is. I have not shot it. When I dry fire it there ss a difference from my Glock 19. When I dry fire my Glock I have to rack the slide between every shot. With the PT 145 I only have to rack the slide once and it keeps firing without having to rerack the slide. I am somewhat inexperienced so I don't know if that makes a difference. I was thinking that possibly the frame was replaced on the original slide 9maybe due to crakcing). Is that possible? Based on this info can anybody help me identify the generation of the pistol? I can post photos once I acquire the gun. Can anybody post photos of both sides of multiple genreations to compare? When did 2nd begin production? When did upgrades to 1st gen begin? Also, if I provide Taurus with the SN can they identify it or give me a history on the gun? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

From your description it sounds like a Gen 2 gun. See link below.

Taurus Millennium series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from the CSRA

I bought this one in January 2002. Pretty sure it is a Gen 1 model as it had the bad frame issues that plagued the early versions of the PT145. The only thing left that is original is the slide. Everything below the slide was replaced after the frame warped and seized the slide with a liver round in the chamber. After the makeover in Miami, this little guy has been perfect....for now.

Opposite side of the slide only has "MILLENIUM" .

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

eb
    I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. Bought it brand new a few months ago, and it had number failures to feed and eject on a few different types of ammo. I ended up just trading it in...

VIP Member
    I have had my PT145 Pro for about three years. It has been a flawless weapon and very easy to conceal. The "Pro" designation refers to the frame having rails - no rails, no pro designation. Not too sure what to tell you about the slide not having a serial number, possibly it has been replaced?

I imagine this thread will get a fair number of Taurus bashers. All I can say is I have 3 Tauri and none have given me problems. One I have had for about 20 years, one for about 3 years and one for a month or so. They have many thousand rounds, several thousand rounds , and about 500 rounds through them.

My PT145 Pro is my primary carry weapon in a line up that includes Glocks, a Springer and some Smiths. I have a course coming up in a few weeks and I anticipate shooting roughly 1,800 rounds in 3 days. I plan to use the PT145 Pro exclusively for this. Enjoy your new gun.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

GM
    Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the PT145.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    The reason your PT145 will fire repeatedly without cycling the slide is that it has "second strike" capability. Basically, it is a full DA trigger in this mode. When the slide cycles, you are in SA mode. The Glock does not have a full DA setting - not saying one is better than the other, just different.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Here he is. Say hello to "Junior". FTI...my wife wouldn't let me name my son after me so I chose the next best thing!! Enjoy.PT 145-2.jpgPT 145-3.jpgGlock.jpg
    The Glock pic is just for comparison and me showing my pride! Taurus has confirmed it is a Gen 1 firearm. Hoping there are no issues. I can't wait to shoot it. What's up with ammo prices? Whew, I have to nearly break the bank just to pop a few shots off. I sincerely hope I do not have to use DPF but if I do I may be looking for restitution. JK! Trying to keep it light hearted.

Just a note pro does not mean that it's got a rail. My pt145 is the same frame as you both have without the rail and its got pro on the slide. The true first gens have a different grip texture but there have been a ton of minor changes over the years. Mine is was new when I got it(don't recall the year though my brother got one at the same time and our serials are sequential). There are some second gen guns like mine with the rail but the old trigger(like you guys have) : and there are some railed guns with the new trigger. The main difference in the trigger is that the new ones are lighter single action first shot then if you light strikes or misfire its the long pull. The older ones like mine are always the long trigger pull.

I would love to pick up a newer one with the new trigger but with the serials that my brother and I have I can't part with mine;) we've got an agreement that if one of us sells we have to give the other a shot at it first. We actually strangely have the same thing with our p3at's as well;)

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

IF I cant find a Glock 36(the ONLY Glock id bother owning) This is high on my list for a concealable .45 ACP CC weapon. Id rather have the Glock BUT that said they are still expensive even used around here.

I love the Taurus pt 145 mine is gen 2 all black second strike 99% works on the second pull if it doesn't work after that most likely a dud great with all ammo I use federal shock 230gr good buy hope you like your new gun

Links