Ruger LC 9

Ruger LC 9

This is a discussion on Ruger LC 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Ruger LC 9 Yesterday for conceal carry. I will use it to replace a Ruger LCP 380 that i have been using. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ruger LC 9

Question Ruger LC 9

I got a Ruger LC 9 Yesterday for conceal carry. I will use it to replace a Ruger LCP 380 that i have been using. For open carry i use a Glock G23. How do you guy's feel about the Ruger LC 9 as a conceal carry ?
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I'm of two minds about it. The trigger is not very comfortable being a long pull, and after 100 rounds at the range my finger was feeling it. So it's not a range gun. The accuracy is not very good, having a non-metal guide rod, it has some muzzle flip. I hit inside the 10 ring at 7 and 10 yards usually but with the LC9 I'm all over the place. It's significantly heavier than the LCP - I can take the LCP anywhere even on my road bike in a jersey pocket and never feel it, but the LC9 requires a belt and is a bit too big for pocket carry. The LCP can go in a shirt pocket in a pinch.

Now, given that most SD use of a BUG, or CC firearm will be at 10 feet not 10 yards, it's accurate enough.

I do not like the 'California-legal' aspects. If you have the magazine out it will not fire - so a tactical reload is out, even with one still in the chamber. This safety feature seems to affect the trigger pull negatively. Those who are brave enough to remove that and to get some extra work on the trigger report it's much better after the mod.

For the size and weight, to be able to carry 9mm, it's a keeper. But, again, it's not a range gun.

For a better review check out Youtube reviews Hickok45's assessment - he's a much better gun handler than I.

Ruger LC9 - YouTube

Good luck!

Wow I am really glad to see two threads open on this gun .

I will be getting one very soon and cant wait

Glad to see most reviews are good .

I think I will be very happy with it .

I almost went with the Db9 diamond back but got spooked on problems with it .

Its just a matter of more cash flow and bam in my pocket she will be

Mine shoots great. Some folks are put off at first by the long trigger pull. You have to spend some time with it to become proficient with it. Im glad I did. Its a great little carry gun. I can put 7 rounds on an index card at 10 feet which is good enough for me. Ymmv.

I've had an LC9 for a few months. It's pure defensive. I don't think I'll register the overly long trigger when I'm squeezing for my life, but I do wish the trigger wasn't so long and heavy. It's my EDC, so that's my vote of confidence. Bianchi IWB size 9A(w/ overshirt) or Blackhawk pocket holster. I would love to get a King Tuk or similar. Also, Blackhawk soft IWB works good. No issues with ammo so far.
    Skillet Hot!

I love mine. I have about 1500 rounds through it with 3 FTE total. The trigger does take getting used to but when you become proficient with it you will barely notice. I pocket carry and some attire it isn't good for like the LCP that can go anywhere unnoticed. But with the right sized pockets it's fine.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If it serves your purposes, what we think is irrelevant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I payed with a Glock 26 and a 27 Saturday before i got the Ruger LC9. I like Ruger's and in the most part i think they make good gun's my first Ruger was SR9 it has been a great gun and after that i got two Ruger's LCP380 and i love the size of the LCP but i kept hearing from people that they didn't have enough power so i just got the LC9. There are two reason's that i got the LC9 instead of the Glock 26 the Glock 26 and 27 are two big to pocket carry plus the Glock's cost a lot more. If the Glock would have worked in my jeans pocket i would gotten the Glock 26 or 27 because i like the safety on the Glock better than the Ruger LC9 at least with the Glock you don't waist time fumbling with a safety button and i have been thinking about using the LC9 with out the safety if it wasn't for shooting my self in the leg or foot. I have a Glock G23 and a G21 and i love the Glock's the way they handle plus the Glock 23 is my open carry. I just wanted to know what other people think because they most likely been down this road ahead of me.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If it serves your purposes, what we think is irrelevant.
    Well said, and I agree totally. Hell, my main carry is a Sig 250 Subcompact and if I listened to all the negative print on that gun, I would have denied myself a very fine, accurate, reliable firearm!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I like mine. Yes,long trigger pull,so what. It is slim,light,and 9mm. I like the external safety lever and the loaded chamber indicator. It is a self defense gun,not for shooting targets at 50 yards. I hear good things about Ruger's customer service also.
    Philly Boy and helderberg like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I got one Thursday. I almost shot myself with my CW9 so I decided I need a safety. Took it to the range and is OK. I will still tryto carry with the xd but this is a good inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by nlghthawk View Post
    I got one Thursday. I almost shot myself with my CW9 so I decided I need a safety. Took it to the range and is OK. I will still tryto carry with the xd but this is a good inbetween.
    You got to keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot, my trigger safety is my finger and it hasn't failed me.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

VIP Member
    I would save just a little more money and get a CM9. I was next to a guy yesterday with the LC9 how had a case of CHS (Can't Hit Shat) and was trying to blame it on the trigger.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I had a LC9, traded it for a M&P FS9mm. Found I missed the size of the LC9 and, as a SD gun I like a longer trigger pull. I was quite good when I had the gun right out of the box and it never missed a beat no matter what ammo I threw at it. As a follow up, I went to my gun shop today and bought it back. The owner was very kind and sold it to me for what he gave me for it when I traded it for the M&P9. I just find the gun fits my hand and my needs for when I want more gun than my Bodyguard 380. While I love the fact that I can pocket carry the BG almost anywhere I am happy to have a 9mm to go where I want to have a more powerful caliber. This said, do what you think is best for you and you can not go wrong.
    Be safe, Frank.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I've put 700 rounds through mine and it's been great. I did have to send it back to Mother Ruger due to the Hammer Catch Spring but they made it right. The trigger pull is long but you get used to it. I'm pretty accurate with mine. This little gun isn't designed to be use as a range gun. It's meant for self-defense. Shooting a couple of hundred rounds at a time at the range will give your trigger finger a real workout. All in all though I personnally don't think the trigger pull is that heavy. As you can tell, I really like mine and I think it's a keeper.
    Philly Boy and mr.stuart like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links