Wife has difficulty racking slide on BG 380... ways to increase "slide grip"?

This is a discussion on Wife has difficulty racking slide on BG 380... ways to increase "slide grip"? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search on "ways to increase grip on the slide", but came up empty. I'm not sure whether I was searching correctly... My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wife has difficulty racking slide on BG 380... ways to increase "slide grip"?

Wife has difficulty racking slide on BG 380... ways to increase "slide grip"?

I did a search on "ways to increase grip on the slide", but came up empty. I'm not sure whether I was searching correctly...

My wife has strong hands, etc., but she can't seem to get a good grip on the slide of her BG 380. She has been suffering the sweaty palm thing for the last several months, and I think that is the primary reason. Unfortunately, the serrations on the BG 380 slide just don't provide enough friction for her.

This may be a bad idea... I certainly don't want to upset the workings of the gun or anything, but is there some sort of tape or accessory I can add to the slide itself? I thought about finding adhesive backed sandpaper, and maybe putting small pieces of it over the top of the serrations on the back part of the slide. Not sure whether that would cause functional issues though. Is there anything a gun smith could do in this case? She is very frustrated at this point, and discouragement is starting to set in. However, she really likes the gun and is hoping to make it work somehow.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Ads

For range use, maybe a very thin glove on her left hand (if right handed). Something like a leather golf or batting glove. Also, some semis seem to loosen up a little after some use and become easier to rack or press check.

The other answer is to maybe consider a revolver...
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Trade it for the BG 38.

Not an easy answer to this, my wife has the LCP and it can be a difficult thing for her to chamber a round. Small semi autos are notorious for hard to manage slides and there may be nothing you can do to correct the problem.

I believe that your wife may want to look into using a revolver. My wife wants one to compliment her LCP. Not that she doesn't like the auto, it just can be difficult to use.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    First of all what type technique is she using? Is she grasping the rear of the slide with her fingers? Is she putting her hand on top of the slide fingers forward?

The strongest of the techniques is over the top. If she is right handed she grasps the pistol in a solid grip. She then reaches over the top with her thumb to the back of the pistol. She grasps firmly and pushes the pistol forward with her strong hand and pulls with her hand on top of the slide. When the slide is fully retracted she simply opens her hand and lets go of the slide.

The same technique can and should be used for clearance of stoppages, reloading from both slide lock and other circumstances. Anyways hope it helps her. If I just made it clear as mud give me a shout or I am sure someone here will clarify and add pics.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Not to beat a dead horse here, but if your wife has trouble racking the slide on her defense pistol under normal conditions, it's time to re-evaluate the weapons choice IMO... Under stress that's just going to be seriously amplified and her not being able to quickly clear say, a stove pipe or failure to eject can be a serious problem if she can't easily work the slide...

She can try to use her weak hand to grasp over the top of the slide and position her thumb on the serrations on the side closest to her and her index as well as as many other fingers as she can to grip the opposite side while both pushing with her strong arm and pulling back with her weak hand on the slide fully to the rear, then let it go.....Important though! Don't ride the slide back into battery, let the recoil spring do the work.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Having no fingers on my left hand I have similar issues. I'm considering making my own oversized rear site so that I have something substantial to push against when racking the slide.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

couple of strips of skateboard tape might be the trick. I've seen it applied to larger weapons, but not sure if the BG will have the room you need.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Administrator
    You can have her try out a Beretta with a "tip-up" barrel. They allow chambering a round & unchambering without having to rack the slide.

Not exactly the solution that you're wanting but, I thought I would add it anyway as a possible option.

RETSUPT99 likes this.

Administrator
    Skateboard tape is TOUGH on holsters.

I went through the same dilemma a few months back. I had my wife try every small .380 and .32 caliber at the gun store. The only one that she felt she could rack easily was the SIG P238. So, despite the high price (cost nearly double some of the competitors we were looking at) I bought it for her and she has actually been carrying it pretty much 100% of the time.

I think the SIG is a great gun and all, but it is still just a bit too large for my tastes for when I want a "bug" to carry around. So I still personally prefer the Taurus TCP series.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You can have her try out a Beretta with a "tip-up" barrel. They allow chambering a round & unchambering without having to rack the slide.

Not exactly the solution that you're wanting but, I thought I would add it anyway as a possible option.

Thats a .32 Tomcat isnt it? My first carry weapon!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gunslut View Post
    Thats a .32 Tomcat isnt it? My first carry weapon!
    That's a .380 Cheetah in the photo young lady.

The .32 Tomcat is a smaller pistol .

Nice avatar, beautiful roses.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    I did a search on "ways to increase grip on the slide", but came up empty. I'm not sure whether I was searching correctly...

My wife has strong hands, etc., but she can't seem to get a good grip on the slide of her BG 380. She has been suffering the sweaty palm thing for the last several months, and I think that is the primary reason. Unfortunately, the serrations on the BG 380 slide just don't provide enough friction for her.
    She is very frustrated at this point, and discouragement is starting to set in. However, she really likes the gun and is hoping to make it work somehow.
    Thanks!!

The push pull method.

Racking a Slide With Weak Hands - YouTube

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    That's a .380 Cheetah in the photo young lady.
    A comment like that will get you everywhere!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links