Ever heard of Llama firearms ???? - Page 2

Ever heard of Llama firearms ????

This is a discussion on Ever heard of Llama firearms ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Haven't heard that name in a long time. At one time, long time ago they were a big producer of firearms....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ever heard of Llama firearms ????

Haven't heard that name in a long time. At one time, long time ago they were a big producer of firearms.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Had a Llama .357 with a 4" barrell back in the mid 90's. Shot it once and sold it to buy a G17. It was alright I guess.

I carried a Llama .380 for a short while back in the mid 70's. For me it was a "mico 1911" and was very accurate. No problems of any kind. I even preferred it over my Walther PP, as my normal off duty/BUG was a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP and the transition between guns was natural. Both were SA auto's with the controls in the same place.
    If someone would hand me "that" gun today and tell me that was what I "had" to carry I would just put it in my holster and continue doing whatever and never give it a second thought.

For someone that has never seen one. The listing is not mine and I have no connection with either the gun or it's owner

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=253430203

VIP Member
    Llama Mini-Max: Manufactured from 1995–2005. Self-loading pistol, locked breech, miniature version of Colt 1911-A1 in 9mm Parabellum and 38 Super (8-round capacity), .40 S&W (7-round capacity) and .45 ACP (6-round capacity) with a 3.7 inch barrel. Extended safety lever, rounded hammer, Swartz safety, 3-dot sight, checkered neoprene grips and contoured trigger-guard. Standard 1911-type magazines could be used in the .45 ACP model to give 7 or 8-round capacity. Finishes include matte blue, satin chrome, two-tone and stainless steel.

Hey, OP, here's a link: Click This;)

You have a 3.7" barrel that's legal for hunting?

Maybe you have a different model?

Sounds like a good one, whatever it is.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

JD
    Administrator
    The ties between Llama and Bersa is that they were both imported by Eagle Imports, I seem to recall some Llama built 1911s being imported by Eagle as "Firestorm", the Firestorm 1911 line continues to this day under the newer "American Classic" name, but is a different product in terms of quality than the earlier Firestorm 1911s which were probably overstock Llama products. Some Bersa guns still have the "Firestorm" branding, not really sure what the difference is between them...any way.

I had a Llama and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The ties between Llama and Bersa is that they were both imported by Eagle Imports, I seem to recall some Llama built 1911s being imported by Eagle as "Firestorm", the Firestorm 1911 line continues to this day under the newer "American Classic" name, but is a different product in terms of quality than the earlier Firestorm 1911s which were probably overstock Llama products. Some Bersa guns still have the "Firestorm" branding, not really sure what the difference is between them...any way.

I had a Llama and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned.
    The current Firestorm/Bersa 1911's are branded "American Classic" made in the Phillipines by Metro Arms and again have nothing to do with either Llama or Bersa. Like Bersa, the Metro Arms products are imported by Eagle Imports out of "Jersey". Llama may have been imported by Eagle Imports, but that had to have been a long time ago. Firestorm and Bersa are actually both Bersa products with a different branding for marketing purposes. The Firestorm name has been dropped on all but the .22 and .380 PPK clones. Firestorm also has a really gnarly looking revolver that they sell.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My father-in-law gave me a Llama .32 ACP a few years ago. It was in the original box, and had only been fired a few times at all. It looks like a miniature 1911, but the takedown is slightly different. It's light, fairly accurate, and seems decently made. I don't shoot it much because I don't trust the caliber for SD and ammo isn't cheap, but it's kinda cute. (Llama is Spanish for "flame". It isn't named for the South American animal....)

I have a Llama 111A and it shoots fair with a few FTE and so forth.

It might make a good trade item if things get really bad.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Llama may have been imported by Eagle Imports, but that had to have been a long time ago.
    2005 was the last year if I'm not mistaken, for a time thereafter, Eagle Imports was still the US point of contact for warranty repairs & parts etc.

Sponsor
    I picked up a commander size Llama .45 at the Stuttgart Rod and Gun Club back in '87.

Definitely not a high end gun but it hasn't given me any major difficulty in 20+ years until recently. Mine is not a true 1911 clone. Some 1911 parts work, some can be modified to work and others are complete no gos. I don't carry or rely on it as the plunger tube is cracked and I cannot find a replacement. The tube is fixed to the frame by two external ears with screws. One of these ears is cracked and it allows the tube to shift when engaging/disengaging the safety. It would actually be a nice design variation... if the tube wasn't plastic.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The ranking in terms of quality of the 3 former Spainish firearms makers would go like this

1) Star Arms
    2) Astra
    3) Llama

All went belly up many years ago and Llama has or had nothing to do with the Argentinian company Bersa.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    2005 was the last year if I'm not mistaken, for a time thereafter, Eagle Imports was still the US point of contact for warranty repairs & parts etc.
    gotcha. Good info....and I was not aware that Llama was imported by Eagle. Thanks.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My uncle has a Llama revolver in .357 that he keeps for security. I've never shot it, but he says it is one of the few revolvers he's ever picked up and pointed naturally. If it works I'm not gonna knock it.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Again it sounds like i got VERY lucky in getting one that actually operates correctly. Y'all are making me think i should trade up to something else while im still ahead lol. I love the .40 cal as far as shooting capability's 9mm i never cared much for cause all of them i've shot seem to bounce off stuff to much and they don't really penetrate as good as the .40's.

I will keep the Llama cause i like it and it fits me well. But, the last thing i want to happen is be in a situation where my life depended on it and end up with a 2 shots and jam. Smith & Wesson are my favorite of the gun makers. Not saying they are the best or that others aren't any good i just have no experience with them. Maybe i need to look into a new Smith, or even try something new.
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

The first handgun I owned was a 9mm Llama Omni. It was a good gun. The only reason that I got rid of it was we needed the money at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links