Ever heard of Llama firearms ????

This is a discussion on Ever heard of Llama firearms ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a llama .40cal i carry most every day. I had a friend of mine who bought it for home protection. His wife threw ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ever heard of Llama firearms ????

Ever heard of Llama firearms ????

I have a llama .40cal i carry most every day. I had a friend of mine who bought it for home protection. His wife threw a fit because at the time they had a 3 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. I tried to teach him how to safely keep it in his home but he just wouldn't pay attention to me and practice safe keeping of the gun or ammo.

He finally decided to give it up but was having a really hard time getting rid of it. I am guessing because they aren't very popular around here. So i made him an offer on the gun and did so blindly, but i am now glad i did. It has been a really good gun for me. I have put many rounds down the pipe and never once had a jam or misfire of any sort. I have purposely let it get some grit and dirt down in it and everything else reasonable to see how well it would operate. It simply don't fail. It is fairly accurate, my local range has a 50 yard pistol range and it groups within a 3 inch group. It could be better but for a gun i got a fair deal on i can't complain much.

This has nothing to do with concealed carry but i was returning from a hunting trip one evening and got to my truck and cleared my riffle and put it back in the case and locked it up. I was parked in the edge of a estimated 2-3 acre field when i got sat down in the truck ready to leave a white tail doe walked out into the field. It was doe season but i knew there was no way i could get my riffle back out quiet enough to not scare her. I grabbed that Llama out of the glove box and rested it over the hood of my truck and made my shot. She was 65-70 yards out and it dropped her like a sack of stones. I was very proud of the gun for no more than i thought it was. And yes it was a legal kill !

I just wondered if any of you have ever heard of them ? It is a llama Minimax .40 S&W and has "Made in Spain" stamped on the right side of the gun. Along with the words "Fabrinor Vitoria". I have looked for them online and never found a site. Now i will admit i am not the best at navigating the internet so there probably is a site somewhere with info on them. The gun is probably 5-6 years old or so. It is finished in flat black. If anyone knows of these i would like to know your opinions on them and if anyone knows a value, that would be good too. It can't be worth much cause i gave 50 bucks for it. Any info would be nice and appreciated !!!

Bubba
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I think it might be Bersa now.... I did a bit of digging, and kept coming across 'Bersa/LLama' and 'Bersa-Llama'.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Llama's have been around for awhile. I thought that they were originally made in South America somewhere...... but I can't remember. Llama had a notorious reputation 'back in the day' for making cheap, unreliable, 'take-offs' of many popular platforms. I remember shooting one once way back in the eighties and I was not impressed with it. Ugly, 'clunkley', and misfired more times in one afternoon than I'd ever seen OR heard of.

Now, if your Llama is a good shooter and reliable to (at least) your standards, (and back-up doe-getter....;) ) then stay with it. You got a good 'un. I personaly won't even mess with 'em.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Llama Firearms officially known as Llama-Gabilondo y Cia SA was a Spanish arms company founded in 1904 under the name Gabilondo and Urresti. (from wikipedia)

I had a Llama 9mm back in the late 70's. It looked like a slightly scaled down version of a 1911. It was a pretty fair gun as I remember.
    I never had any problems with it. I had mine about 8 or 9 years and sold it to buy a S&W model 39.
    If I remember correctly, there were a lot more Llama's in .380 floating around.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Llama is now under Bersa. However, the internals and everything are now "1911", contrary to what they were before.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

there were a lot more Llama's in .380 floating around
    Yup, I had one of those years ago... Funny thing is, anyone that read my post a while back about my buddy that shot himself in the his foot. He had just bought a brand new Lama .380 that day, and that was the pistol he shot himself with while we were in the McDonald's drive-thru. Hah! I'll never forget that day.. The looks on the folks behind us when I got out and helped him from the drivers side to the passengers side...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You gottabkiddin!
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yup, I had one of those years ago... Funny thing is, anyone that read my post a while back about my buddy that shot himself in the his foot. He had just bought a brand new Lama .380 that day, and that was the pistol he shot himself with while we were in the McDonald's drive-thru. Hah! I'll never forget that day.. The looks on the folks behind us when I got out and helped him from the drivers side to the passengers side...

Llama, Astra and Star of Spain all went "toe-up" in the mid 1990's. No other company took over the rights to anything Llama, and Bersa has nothing to do with this long gone company. Bersa is in Argentina......a very long way from Spain.
    Llama made a budget model group of pistols that were pretty good considering the price for a new one back in the early 1990's.....if still around, Llama would be competing with Taurus.
    chefjon likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I don't know the year of manufacture on this one i just assumed it was around 5-6 years old but but i don't know the date he purchased it or if it was new. I am pretty sure he bought it new but who knows. Me and him have parted ways since then so i have no way to find out. This info y'all have posted is very interesting. Sounds like i got lucky and got a good one lol. I wish someone had the rights to them though cause it would be nice to order a couple extra mags.
    It does kinda have that 1911 look to it but i never really put two and two together and thought about it. It isn't a goldmine but its performed well for me. I use it and i also have a Smith & Wesson 629 classic .44mag with a 5-1/2 or 6 inch barrel. It is a nice gun and far more accurate but its a little clumsy to carry concealed. Great hunting gun though !

Thanks y'all for lookin that stuff up for me.
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

sgb
    As zonker1986 has stated Llama went TU. Parts are near impossible to find and the quality is generally not very good, having one that works without issue is rare in my experience.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    You gottabkiddin!

Nope... The guy was supposedly a sharp shooter in the military too; go figure..

While we were waiting to place our orders, he decided he was gonna charge his new pistola up, so he chambered a round and with one hand placed his thumb on the top of the rear sight thinking it was the hammer and pulled the trigger. I saw the whole thing happen, it was like in slow motion when I think back on it. When I saw his thumb on the sights, right then I knew what he was about to do, but couldn't stop him fast enough.... BOOM! What!, what did ya say! (ringggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg). Got some damage to my hearing after that day. Craziest thing I've ever witnessed involving carelessness a gun. We had a business together and it soon there after dissolved itself, and I haven't seen him since.

OP, sorry for the sidetrack.... Carry on.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I had a LLama 7.65 caliber (32 ACP) back in the early 70's. It fired every time, until it started firing twice before jamming.

Llama Mini-Max: Manufactured from 1995–2005. Self-loading pistol, locked breech, miniature version of Colt 1911-A1 in 9mm Parabellum and 38 Super (8-round capacity), .40 S&W (7-round capacity) and .45 ACP (6-round capacity) with a 3.7 inch barrel. Extended safety lever, rounded hammer, Swartz safety, 3-dot sight, checkered neoprene grips and contoured trigger-guard. Standard 1911-type magazines could be used in the .45 ACP model to give 7 or 8-round capacity. Finishes include matte blue, satin chrome, two-tone and stainless steel.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I recall some Llama 9mms back in the day (early '80s). For some reason I think they made single stacks but came out with a double in the mid-80s. But by then SIG-Sauer was making the P-226 and that's the way I went for about 10-years.

My first gun was a Llama IIIA .380, back in the mid-70's. Total POS. Got rid of it in short order.

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links