For .40/.45 compact, DA only, best choice?

This is a discussion on For .40/.45 compact, DA only, best choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Evening, gentlemen... I'm sure this horse is long dead, but I've searched recent threads and can't find one close enough to my question, so here ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eb

Thread: For .40/.45 compact, DA only, best choice?

Evening, gentlemen...

I'm sure this horse is long dead, but I've searched recent threads and can't find one close enough to my question, so here goes...
    Wifey and I are awaiting our CC permits. She's already set up with her LC9. I really like the gun myself, and thought about buying another for myself but have decided to go with .40 or .45 as the caliber.

I want DA only as I found I prefer the long, revolver-like pull of the LC-9 for concealed carry. Maybe it's just in my head, but I feel a bit "safer" against AD with the heavier and longer pull required.

Initially was set on .45, but after a bit of research I think I'd rather have the extra rounds of .40 in the mag vs. the marginal additional power of the .45.

First question is size...compact, or subcompact...
    Here in FL subcompact sure is attractive. But aside from the reduced capacity, I have decent size hands and have concerns about handling. I rented a G26 and just couldn't deal with it, perhaps an extended mag would have made a difference. For us "full-size" guys (6-2, 200+) is the compact just a better choice?

There's a smorgasbord of choices in manufacturers. Too many...
    I like the looks of the Sig P250, and have seen mostly positive reviews since the re-design this year which supposedly solved the reliability issues(?).
    The Springfield XD , and the S&W M&P , and the Kahr CW all look good on paper..but the Kahr looks to me like it might be a bit too light...I'd like to strike the balance between manageable weight, and comfortable shooting.

I'm looking to stay at $400 or less. One advantage is that I've got a friend that's an FFL (and a major holster manuf.) that's graciously going to get me whatever I want at his cost, so that'll help :)... (it's even better than having a buddy that owns a bar...)

Is there anything about any of the above possibilities (or any others you might suggest) that makes them a standout- for or against- purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Glock 23 or 30, whichever suits your fancy.

At your size, there is nothing you couldn't carry... Unless you like to wear girl t-shirts that are too small
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Well at $400 or less I guess that leaves you with a used gun like a Ruger.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

As far as compact VS sub compact goes I think there are 3 questions you need to answer first. 1. How important is concealment to you? Are you against any printing at all? Is a little bit of printing ok? 2. How willing are you to chance your wardrobe to accommodate the amount of concealment you need? 3. Whats your body type? Skinny, athletic, chunky, etc?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I'd recommend the Kahr CW45. The .40 round is quite snappy, I don't think I'd care to shoot it in a small light weight gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I own the P250c (40), Glock 27 and XD40sc (also Beretta 96D, but is full size). My EDC is the G27 because is the one I can conceal the best, is very reliable and I am very proficient with it. Any of the three would be great choices. I will also tell you that the P250 is very accurate; I love taking it to the range and putting a couple hundred rounds through it. So, my suggestion is to rent the three and try them to help you make the right decision. Good luck.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Man, I wish I could rent them...
    Limited selection at the local range.
    My friend that's gonna hook me up loves his G26...but I want a DA only pistol.

Well at $400 or less I guess that leaves you with a used gun like a Ruger.
    Ummm...at FFL cost any of the guns I listed (at street price of around $500 or so) fall into that price range....

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Just picked up a new P250 subcompact 9mm for $349+tax. Being used to revolvers and DAO, DA/SA autos, the trigger is nice (to me). Conceals real well but solid enough to shoot +ps with not bad recoil like some of my lighter/smaller subcompacts.

One of these in .40 SW.

The one on the left set the standard for all subcompacts that have followed. The one on the right, setting the standard that Glock will have to run to keep up. (both pictured are the 9mm versions)

Factory mags with the extension give you added room for your pinky, and are a must for the Glock subcompacts. The M&P
    comes with one flat bottom mag and one with the finger extension. Both the Glocks and the M&P take the full size mags of the Glock 23, 22 and the M&P full size pistol. That gives you the option of carrying 11+1 in the Glock 27 or 15+1 with a full size mag. The M&P is 10+1 or 15+1. Also, both pistols can be converted to a .357SIG with just a barrel change. .40 mags will already work with .357SIG ammo, so no extra mags are required for the conversion.

At 20oz unloaded and just a bit wider .1" than the Kahrs, you get very shootable, accurate subcompact pistols that will do the job in about any situation with plenty of firepower should the need arise.
    Living in Florida, both will stand up to the ridiculous hot, humid summers and concealed carry that destroys a lot of other pistols.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I had a G26. I put the +2 extensions on all 3 mags. Very nice gun. I'm 6'2" 200lbs. myself. I could hide it very well. I just sold it and went with a Springfield XD .45 with the 4 inch barrel. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I love the new setup. Just need to go out and get some bigger T-shirts to help conceal the gun a little better. I almost wen with the sub-compact but decided against it. I've heard they are just as good and the .40 is very easy to shoot. 11+1 flush fit and 16+1 round with extention for the .40. Can't go wrong with that.

eb
    I've recommended these guns a lot lately on here... the Beretta PX4 is my favorite gun overall. I have 2 now, and another on order. I carry my subcompact 9mm (also comes in 40) and its easily concealable. They are brilliant guns and VERY reliable (never had a failure on either of mine in thousands of rounds), yet often overlooked in the list of "usual suspects". They are DA/SA and have a de-cocker. What I do is load it up, decock the hammer with the safety, then release the safety and pull the hammer 1 click back away from the pin to the "safe" position. The first pull is very revolver-like in DA and makes a negligent discharge hard to accomplish, yet subsequent shots are SA with a nice light trigger pull. Its the best of both worlds if you ask me, I prefer DA/SA over striker-fired guns (although I have several).

PX4 Subcompact
    ktulu92fs likes this.

Sponsored Links