What if...

This is a discussion on What if... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own an M&P 40, M&P .40c and a Howa .22-250. I now have $5k set aside just for purchasing guns. Not ammo! What ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What if...

What if...

I currently own an M&P 40, M&P .40c and a Howa .22-250. I now have $5k set aside just for purchasing guns. Not ammo! What would u suggest ?
    I'm thinking...
    Remington 870 Shotgun
    Remington 700 .300 win mag
    J Frame
    Daniel Defense AR15
    Possibly a 9mm of some sort...
    What would you buy?

2. Remove Ads

With that much money, I would get myself a Ruger GP100 and send it off to Marc at Gemini Customs in KY. and have him give it a fantastic going over.Look up his site at GeminiCustoms.com and you will see what I mean. He did my SP101 .327 mag. and it is one heck of a job and one great looking gun.I just sent it in again to have it ported, which I wanted to do the first time but hesitated.Now I can't wait to get it back... again! You should also think of a S&W M&PC 9mm--- sweet gun. Happy buying!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

That's pretty much an individual choice. If I were wanting to prepare for a possible SHTF scenario, I would add the following;

Steyr SSG 69 .308 Winchester with scope $2,000.00: Sniping, Perimeter control, hunting

Ruger 10/22 with scope $250.00: Plinking, varmint control, small game

Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose $500.00 (Mossberg is better than Remington as far as interchangeable barrels): Home Defense, crowd control, motorcade, or patrol

Glock 19 (Compact 9mm) $500.00: Self defense, home defense until you can get to your shotgun, patrol

DPMS Sportster AR-15 $900.00: Home defense, patrol, hunting, perimeter control

Kahr CM9 9mm Micro compact $450.00: EDC & back up

Just my two cents, not knowing your specific needs and apptitudes.
    Rock AKA Quietus
    If I wouldn't go someplace without packing, I don't need to be there in the first place.
    A CCW is for when I'm not expecting trouble.
    Preparation M Forum

We have absolutely no idea what your needs are, what you plan on using each gun for, and what your shooting habits and hobbies are. Do you reload? Do you hunt? What do you hunt? Birds, small game, large game, and over what distances? Do you routinely shoot 50 yards or 500 yards? Farther?

What do you want us to do? We can't give you any real information based on what little details you have provided. But heck, I love spending other peoples money. I think you should buy a 338 Lapua, a Barrett .50 BMG, a Ruger 10/22, a .416 Rigby, a Ruger Red Label, A 500 S&W. a Stoeger Coach Gun, just to name a few.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    We have absolutely no idea what your needs are, what you plan on using each gun for, and what your shooting habits and hobbies are. Do you reload? Do you hunt? What do you hunt? Birds, small game, large game, and over what distances? Do you routinely shoot 50 yards or 500 yards? Farther?

What do you want us to do? We can't give you any real information based on what little details you have provided. But heck, I love spending other peoples money. I think you should buy a 338 Lapua, a Barrett .50 BMG, a Ruger 10/22, a .416 Rigby, a Ruger Red Label, A 500 S&W. a Stoeger Coach Gun, just to name a few.
    Yea no need to overthink here but... I only reload .40 cal. I hunt but only in Texas. I just want a gun for any purpose... With the exception of hunting in Africa! Can't see myself gettingthat opportunity. I went with a friend yesterday to buy himself a Dakota .416 Rigby for about $6k. Very impressive gun but I have no use for it.

I think you need some pure recreational guns, as well as specific-purpose guns (i.e., defense, hunting, etc.)

Get a .22 rifle (Ruger 10/22 or similar) and a .22 revolver or pistol (again I lean toward the Rugers). $600-ish total if you buy new.

Then you need a good ol' .38 or .357 revolver. S&W 10, 64, 19, 66, 686, etc., Ruger GP100. Adjustable sights are nice but not mandatory; 4" is a good barrel length. Pure shooting enjoyment with this. $300-$500 depending on what you get.

Then for defensive purposes:
    A stainless J-frame for pocket carry, tackle box, medicine cabinet, backpack, etc. $400
    An AR-15 for sure. DD is good; also consider Bravo Company and Colt and S&W LE models. Figure $1800+ with the stuff you need (sling, red dot optic, back-up irons, white light & mount, 10-20 mags)
    Rem 870, yep; if you're a wingshooter, get the Wingmaster or Express with a second, short barrel (18" with rifle sights, perhaps). Otherwise, pony up the extra bucks for the Police models with bigger mags and better internal parts. $600 or so.

You suggested a Rem 700, but I don't know if this is for hunting or sniping. If the latter, you'll need a scope like a Nightforce, plus a bipod, so your package will run close to $3000.

I think that pretty much kills your budget. It's fun spending other folks' money (just ask the Prez...)

Other options to consider:
    - An autoloading .30-cal, such as a Springfield M1A1, or an AR-10. Or, a 6.8 SPC upper for your AR. More punch past where the 5.56 starts to be more annoying than lethal.
    - An M&P in 9mm since you're already familiar with the platform
    - a good 1911 in the classic .45 ACP

Just food for thought!
    Bark'n likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    I'd buy back my Browning Hi-Power, get a mossberg 410 home defense shotgun (small and maneuverable, for my desk), a Kahr 9mm (don't know which one) then I'd get a mess of holsters and plenty of spare magazines for the whole wardrobe of guns. I'd also start messing with trigger jobs, ss guide rods, conversion kits, ok I think I've spent 5K by now.

I like your thinking gasmitty. I have considered many of the ones u have suggested. I am considering the .300 win mag just because I want a bigger boom the than the .22-250. But if I'm being honest with myself... Anything I hunt my .22-250 will handle fine. But... I still want the .300. I also have no real use for a 1911 but I would love to own a Smith and Wesson 1911 e series!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Hmm well I have two great concealed carry guns, my LCP and Kahr CM9, as well as an 18.5" Mossberg 500 for home defense (I know, none of these guns are glamorous but they get the job done!), so I would probably get some ammo and then pay off student loans. Am I allowed to do that? I think it would be a great home defense technique considering how aggressively the government comes after you if you don't pay them their money back.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I'd get an AR10 in 308 with decent glass,a SA 1911 loaded,and enough ammo to scare the neighbors
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd get an AR10 in 308 with decent glass,a SA 1911 loaded,and enough ammo to scare the neighbors
    Which AR10 would u suggest. I liked the DPMS but after talking to the guys over at the M4Carbine forum I don't think I want to go that route.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Some furniture for my AR, a new AR platform in .308, a Glock 19, and a S&W1911. Only if!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Gonna ask a quick question - please don't take this as an insult.

How are you, for training?

$5K goes a *_long_* way for class tuition, travel expenses, and ammo!

Also, how are you set-up for your concealed-carry support gear? Just a fraction of that budget would give you some top-tier carry gear that'll not only virtually guaranty your comfort and concealment, but will also make you the envy of everyone in any concealed-carry class.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I like spending other peoples money too.

1. FNH Scar - 3k
    2. A Wilson Combat or Ed Brown or Nighthawk Custom 1911 - 2k

See there, how easy that was...now you're done.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    Which AR10 would u suggest. I liked the DPMS but after talking to the guys over at the M4Carbine forum I don't think I want to go that route.
    Well I think they are plenty good for the money. Stay away from armalite, I've personally seen lots of issues with their reliability (brother in law had one and traded it away when he finally got fed up) DPMS rifles will WORK and deliver decent enough accuracy especially for the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links