SD9 initial impressions

This is a discussion on SD9 initial impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week I picked up an SD and the whole home defense package deal, it was $450 otd from my local Gunstore. About the gun, ...

Thread: SD9 initial impressions

SD9 initial impressions

Last week I picked up an SD and the whole home defense package deal, it was $450 otd from my local Gunstore. About the gun, it is honestly is one of my favorite shooting 9's to date (this includes by not limited to SR9c, M&P, CZ75, 226, Baby eagle, etc) due to the ergonmics, and lack of recoil. No issues from it so far. Time will tell, but I expect none.

Compared to the M&P (fullsize), there is a size difference, with the SD being slightly smaller. There are no adjustable back straps, but the grip is VERY comfortable, and has a natural pointing nature. The slide appears to ride a little higher on the frame, but the gun still has very manageable (light even) recoil. The gun comes with a front night site, and the rear is a factory M&P sight. The trigger is a bit stiffer than the M&P, but it is not heavy and has a relatively short reset. My trigger has only gotten better with every pull.

Compared to the Ruger SR9c, which I have had the please to shoot many times as my father owns one, you may notice slightly less recoil (imo), and a little better ergonomics. I prefer the trigger in the SD9, as I have problems with reset on the SR9c. I would say however that the two pistols are evenly matched at their respected price point (around $400).

I love mine, and it has become my new EDC. Here are a few quick snaps to show it in comparision to my PK380, and that is fits in the same holster, a N8^2 compact model holster.

Last edited by El_Chupacabr; October 4th, 2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added picture of full HD package

2. Remove Ads

twc
    Was wondering when someone would review this SD line. Very well may be my next purchase, thanks for the review.

VIP Member
    I think this is one of the best bargain handguns made.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I think you got a nice pistol but at $450 you overpaid a little. What was in the "home defense" package?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The Home Defense package comes with a Nano NV200 safe, and a Smith and Wesson Micro 90 weapons light. It also came with another magazine, but I would assume the gun itself comes with 2.

In reguards to the price I paid, if you add the retail value of the two other items (the Micro 90 at $65 Smith & Wesson Micro 90 Tactical Weapon Mounted Flashlight White LED with Battery (1 CR2 lithium) Polymer Black - MidwayUSA, and the safe $22 from 2-GVNV200 - GunVault NV200 Nanovault Safe 9.5"x6.5"x1.75" with Cable and Key Lock Black), the price of the pistol come out to about $360. I think this is very reasonable, and honestly after shooting the gun, feel it by itself is worth $450, not to mention the other two items.

Congrats on your new pistol! Every review of the SD's I have read are positive.

My very first pistol was an SD40 last year. I paid $420 out the door including a box of ammo. The SD is definitely NOT an updated SIGMA like so many claim. It still has a heavy DOA trigger and is not near as good as the trigger on my M&P. My SD40 fed reliably and never gave me an issue. Easy to take down, easy to clean, and just ran. I did not like the ergo's on the grip though, I always found I had to re-grip to get a good purchase on the gun. It was for this reason I sold it. If S&W had given it adjustable backstraps like the M&P, I would have kept it.

All in all the SD is a good, reliable pistol and can be had for $329 or less if you look.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabr View Post
    The Home Defense package comes with a Nano NV200 safe, and a Smith and Wesson Micro 90 weapons light. It also came with another magazine, but I would assume the gun itself comes with 2.

In reguards to the price I paid, if you add the retail value of the two other items (the Micro 90 at $65 Smith & Wesson Micro 90 Tactical Weapon Mounted Flashlight White LED with Battery (1 CR2 lithium) Polymer Black - MidwayUSA, and the safe $22 from 2-GVNV200 - GunVault NV200 Nanovault Safe 9.5"x6.5"x1.75" with Cable and Key Lock Black), the price of the pistol come out to about $360. I think this is very reasonable, and honestly after shooting the gun, feel it by itself is worth $450, not to mention the other two items.
    I stand corrected. That is a OK deal. Well done!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

played with one at my local GS a while back: Impressions? Very thin feeling.....great trigger, even with the added home defense setup.....I could be very happy with one of these as my EDC if I was in the market.....great improvement over the Sigma, but not quite M&P quality. All in all, like C Hawk said, a great value in a defense pistol. Would love to get a chance to shoot one and compare to the M&P.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Would love to get a chance to shoot one and compare to the M&P.
    They are not near as accurate as the M&P, at least that was my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    They are not near as accurate as the M&P, at least that was my experience.
    I have to disagree with that. Upon inspection today at the local gun store(eagle guns in concord nc), it seems the SD may come with the same barrel as the M&P. It is possible that you shoot the M&P better due to the lighter trigger.

Here is a picture from today, all failure to stops (minus the group in the upper left on the eagle) from 7 and 15 yards (yes I need work lol). Round was Federal Champion 115gr, and there are 100 rounds on paper. Very happy, and getting used to the trigger.

Links