Anyone carry a Beretta 84 or 85?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Beretta 84 or 85? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Despite being 380 ACP I find myself extremely attracted to these guns and am pondering an 84FS to carry AIWB (I refuse to carry a ...

Thread: Anyone carry a Beretta 84 or 85?

Anyone carry a Beretta 84 or 85?

Despite being 380 ACP I find myself extremely attracted to these guns and am pondering an 84FS to carry AIWB (I refuse to carry a gun without a safety in that position).

Does anyone carry one of these? Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

My dad carries a 84. Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to carry a .380 that is THAT big. Seriously, its freaking huge. Your getting a max of 14 rounds in a gun that's the same size if not a bit thicker then a Glock 19 which is 16 rounds of 9mm. Just seems like a waste.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I own one, but don't carry it. Strictly a range gun.

While it is the Cadillac of .380 pistols, it is large as Rollo mentioned. To put the size of the pistol into perspective, it is as large and just about as thick as my G36. Basically, it is the same size as a Glock 19. For carry, I think the Sig P232 is a much better choice in 380.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I carried a Beretta 84 for many years. The gun's ergonomics and light weight made it ideal for me. I shot this gun better than any other and due to it's size and weight, I had no trouble concealing it. I retired it mainly due to it's age and I was ready for a change after 16 years, (I tend to hang with the same gun when it works and is proven). I still have it and take it to the range a couple times a year. Each time I do, I'm reminded why I love this gun so much.

I can't remember this gun having even a single malfunction. It was unbelievably reliable. It rode on my hip in a Biancchi and later a Galco holster. I had a shoulder holster as well but rarely used it.

There are many grips available. I think I used them all at one time or another. You have plastic, rubber or wood of several style from which to select.

My only complaint was the inability to easily change sights. I owned 2 M84s, one with standard sights and one with night sights and 1 M85 that was never carried.

Great gun... very reliable, accurate, easy to shoot quickly and easy to maintain. Parts are easy to obtain. The gun fit me, and I couldn't find anything better, and that's the main reason it served so long.

Last edited by ripley16; October 4th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

My dad's carried his 84 for a while now. I love it. A bit snappy. But hands down the best .380 out there in my opinion(although I do really like Bersa for .380 as well). His has factory night sites that are still bright as can be.

I've got an M84 that I've had for 30+ years. It's one of the best designed & crafted pistols I've ever seen.

Got mine before the "Wunder9's" really caught on, and felt like the 14 rounds of .380 were a pretty good bit of firepower. The only real downside to the gun is the thickness of the grip. I have very large hands, so it really feels like it was made for me, but the thickness was an issue for CC. I carried mine in a shoulder holster, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but with today's IWB/OWB being the norm, it might not be my first choice There are double-stack 9mm's that carry as well as the M84.

The gun itself is not really that big - it's just got really fat grips. The M85 single-stack eliminates that problem, but it's still a tad large, by 21st-century standards, for a .380. I would not hesitate to carry an M84 or an M85 as long as the size isn't an issue for you.

FWIW.

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    I used to carry the single stack version (85F), back in the very early 1990's.
    At that time, it was a reasonable choice, and I carried it more than any other pistol I had owned...

Now, it seems like the subcompact Glocks or the Ruger LC9 or Sig 290 or ........For a .380 cal, it is too large.
    (Although someone above said it was comparable in size to a Glock 36 or G19...that is a bit of an exaggeration!)

With the Buffalo Bore .380+P ammo...I still might consider carrying it...if you are really in love with it and can shoot it super accurately.

I have a friend that has one and he loves it. He likes Colts and has many Colt 1911s. This man could have any gun he wanted but I can assure, him and that Baretta will never part. I have shot it a few times and I was extremely accurate with it and it's a smooth shooter.

I just got an 84bb in trade and have only shot it once. It really is a nice gun but I am thinking of selling it because it will only be a range gun for me. I have several smaller 9mm pistols for carry and also have 2 smaller pocket 380's.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post
    I used to carry the single stack version (85F), back in the very early 1990's.
    At that time, it was a reasonable choice, and I carried it more than any other pistol I had owned...

Now, it seems like the subcompact Glocks or the Ruger LC9 or Sig 290 or ........For a .380 cal, it is too large.
    (Although someone above said it was comparable in size to a Glock 36 or G19...that is a bit of an exaggeration!)

With the Buffalo Bore .380+P ammo...I still might consider carrying it...if you are really in love with it and can shoot it super accurately.
    Check your facts Wheelyfun101. I own all three and my size comparision is not exagerated.

G36
    weight 20.11 oz
    length 6.77 in
    height 4.75 in
    width 1.13

G19
    weight 20.99 oz
    length 6.85 in
    height 5.00 in
    width 1.18 in

85FS
    weight 21.9 oz