Pack Gun

Pack Gun

This is a discussion on Pack Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need your help. I'm looking for a backpacking and fishing gun. I spend most of my time in black bear and cougar territory, not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pack Gun

Pack Gun

I need your help. I'm looking for a backpacking and fishing gun. I spend most of my time in black bear and cougar territory, not griz land. At times I pack 10 miles/day in mountainous terrain. I'm pretty sure I want a wheel gun in stainless or other corrosion resistant finish. I've looked at Taurus, Ruger, and S&W in various configurations and calibers. What do you recomend considering price, caliber, and weight? Thanks for the help.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would personaly try and find a S&W " hurtyourhandiam" model chambered to .357 or .41 with a 4" barrell for packing where large preditors are concerned . I firmly belive in a light packable gun a .41 is about as much gun as anyone would want to handle , and most likely the .357 would be a better choice .

edited to add that I would consider buying a snubby and rebarrelling to 3 or 4 inch if needed for this application .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Easy. 41 Magnum. The best all around revolver cartidge for hiking in North America.

I think you'll find that it is a great compromise between the .44MAG and the .357MAG. Power levels approaching the .44 with the controllability of the .357
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

S&W stainless .357 magnum

I'd pick a stainless S&W .357 magnum with durable rubber grips and a shorter barrel length. If you are concerned about wild animals I'd load it with fairly heavy ammo.

Here is a S&W model 66 I bought used for $300 about 6 months ago. It weighs 32 ounces, which is not excessive. I think I would consider it for the hiking application you mentioned.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    I agree with pogo2.

A "K" frame S&W .357 is what a friend of mine who guides Black Bear hunts carries.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I've carried a S&W 629 and a Ruger sp101 .357, but now I carry a Glock 29 10mm. It is right up there with a .41mag, but carries 10 rds. and can be reloaded in a flash. I use Double Tap ammo with a 180 Gold dot jhp @ 1300 fps 676ft/lbs or a 215 hard cast @ 1225fps 717ft/lbs, all out of a 4.5 inch barrel. Easy to control and keep on target. Pretty big bang though!
    ...one jagged hole!

VIP Member
    My brush gun set-up is a 3" Ruger SP101 in a Bianchi Accumold holster.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Redneck Repairs: why would you buy a snubby then have it rebarreled? Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the 3" or 4" from the beginning.

Any of the above

I'd worry more about the couger hitting you from behind. I've had 3 real close and personal black bear encounters, and not one showed any aggressive tendencies. I like my S&W 629 in 44 mag with a 3" barrel.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

My pack gun is a 4" S/S GP100.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

All good thoughts above. I would go with a 3" or 4" 629 loaded with DPX. If you're in true crisis scenario, you likely won't mind or even notice the extra recoil of the 44 mag. During Tachypsyche, your mind disposes of all of those frivelous things. ;)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    For doing a LOT of hiking, I'm just curious as to why one wouldn't pack a rifle like a 30.06 or an 8mm? Better to have the round you need than too small, right?

Is there really another advantage other than the weight and ease of maneuverability?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    When I did a lot of backpacking in that kind of country, I always carried a 4-inch S&W 629 in .44 RM. With the option of switching to .44 Spl., you can't go wrong. The Mountain Gun in .45 Long Colt was one I had my eye on for some time. I never picked one up because I really enjoyed the versatility of the .44.

Short barrel 629 for a more traditional carry.

or my personal choice is the S&W .460
    (3" or 5")

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo
    For doing a LOT of hiking, I'm just curious as to why one wouldn't pack a rifle like a 30.06 or an 8mm? Better to have the round you need than too small, right?

Is there really another advantage other than the weight and ease of maneuverability?
    When backpacking, it's all about weight management and mobility. Lightweight is king. Portability falls in close second. You aren't going on a military-style march in most cases. The only time I would carry a rifle and a backpack is while elk hunting. Even then, the fun runs out quickly after the first couple of miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links