M&P .22 Reviews?

This is a discussion on M&P .22 Reviews? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. I am interested in eventually purchasing my own firearm and am intrigued by the M&P semi-auto line. I haven't found any reviews for ...

Thread: M&P .22 Reviews?

M&P .22 Reviews?

Hey all. I am interested in eventually purchasing my own firearm and am intrigued by the M&P semi-auto line. I haven't found any reviews for the .22 and am curious as to why? Is it because it is unreliable or just hard to come by?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    Hey all. I am interested in eventually purchasing my own firearm and am intrigued by the M&P semi-auto line. I haven't found any reviews for the .22 and am curious as to why? Is it because it is unreliable or just hard to come by?
    Not sure why there either aren't many reviews out there or why you may be having trouble finding them.

I know Nutnfancy has reviewed it;
    S&W 15-22: "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" by Nutnfancy
    S&W 15-22: "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Nut loves the gun and says he will get one. There were a few things he wasn't crazy about but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head. I do remember him saying it didn't function flawlessly and I believe he had a few jams. I think he said the Sig .22 version was more reliable as far as running it but that wasn't going to keep him from getting one for himself.

I also remember seeing a brief article about this gun in a gun magazine but that was probably 6 mos. ago and since I didn't buy the mag, I don't remember the name of the magazine so I unfortunately can't give you the issue to look for, etc.

There may not be a lot of reviews out there about the gun but there are some so you may just want to continue keeping an eye out for them.

I'd like to have one of these too and may get one someday. They are a little pricey, IMO, and the money it would take for me to get one could get me well into the AR that I'm wanting to get. You can't argue with the pricing of .22 ammo though and this gun would be considerably cheaper to operate/practice with than a 5.56 version.

Sorry Defcon but I meant the .22 semi-automatic pistol. Should have been clearer. I am looking for a good first hand gun.

Sorry Defcon but I meant the .22 semi-automatic pistol. Should have been clearer. I am looking for a good first hand gun.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed you were talking about the rifle. I didn't even know that they had an M&P pistola out in the .22 flavor.

Here's a short review that I haven't watched;
    Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Pistol Review & Range test
    Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Pistol Review & Range test - YouTube

Good luck with your search. ;-)

Also, please allow me to welcome you to the forum. :-)

This is a great place to get all kinds of information about self-defense as well as guns, ammo, misc. equipment, etc. so you are in good company - we have a lot of active and retired police officers as well as military persons that have a plethora of real world experience to share.

There are also a lot of helpful people on here and this is a nice place that keeps it clean compared to some other forums.

Welcome again,
    DCG

M&P .22 Pistol is too new to find much info....have only seen a couple for sale on the internet. If you can find one, I'd jump on it.....M&P center fire pistols are very, very good firearms.

Others you might consider:

Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 22
    very cool little .22's and a lot of fun to shoot.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

This is just my opinion, but when I heard about the M&P in .22lr I immediately assumed it was geared toward people who have an M&P in a defensive caliber and wanted a way to practice more inexpensively.

I am curious what your requirements/expectations are for your first firearm purchase. If you are interested in something that shoots an inexpensive round and will provide a decent platform to hone your skills then a .22lr pistol probably isn't a bad way to go. If you are interested in having something that you can use to protect yourself or your family you would be better suited by purchasing something in a defensive caliber. You might look into buying something like a Glock and a .22lr conversion kit to get the best of both worlds.

The .22lr round has the capability to be lethal for sure but in a defensive situation, your only concern will be stopping the threat as quickly as possible.

Defcon - Thanks for the help. I am brand new to firearms and joined this forum because of the wealth of knowledge and helpful members. Two rare things among online forums.

Scott - That is my dilemma. I would like a pistol for car and home defense but am not sure whether I should invest in a .22 and another model or just stick to 9mm. I hear ammo costs are up but I am not sure how big the difference is between .22 and 9mm. I want to develop a lot of confidence and skill in the pistol I purchase. If I get a .22 model, I will definitely get another pistol for actual protection. Just not sure how to go about it all.

Defcon - Thanks for the help. I am brand new to firearms and joined this forum because of the wealth of knowledge and helpful members. Two rare things among online forums.

Scott - That is my dilemma. I would like a pistol for car and home defense but am not sure whether I should invest in a .22 and another model or just stick to 9mm. I hear ammo costs are up but I am not sure how big the difference is between .22 and 9mm. I want to develop a lot of confidence and skill in the pistol I purchase. If I get a .22 model, I will definitely get another pistol for actual protection. Just not sure how to go about it all.
    If that's the case, I would also encourage you to consider the 9mm platform for Self-Defense (SD) as well. Practicing with a 9mm isn't all that expensive. To practice with, you can get a box of 50 Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) for $10@ Wal-Mart. The .22s will still be cheaper but when it comes to the price of protecting your life, what's a few extra dollars? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the .22 won't get the job done because .22s have put a many of men in the grave. Also, after you've been around here a little while you'll see a very common theme develop; shot placement is everything. With that being said, a well placed .22 will incapacitate/kill the same as 9mm but it may take longer and sometimes life and death/survival can come down to a matter of a few seconds. The defensive 9mm will cost more than your FMJ ammo you'll use to practice with but you most likely won't be shooting 100s and 100s of rounds on a consistent basis, etc.

I encourage you to do your own research and weigh all of the facts and opinions and make your own decisions. Caliber choice is a personal choice and there's arguments both good and bad for all calibers. My personal opinion is to carry the largest caliber you can comfortably conceal as well as shoot accurately. Sometimes this means finding a balance that works best for you, this is why everyone is not carrying a .50 Caliber.

I hope for you to have success in your search,
    DCG

Thanks a lot for the update, Armor. I'll be sure to check out those links.

Links