new colt defender in 9mm 3" barrel

This is a discussion on new colt defender in 9mm 3" barrel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am buying a colt defender in 9mm.which load would be the best loads for it. ronindex....

Thread: new colt defender in 9mm 3" barrel

i am buying a colt defender in 9mm.which load would be the best loads for it.
    ronindex.

Some reading for you.

what's best 9mm short barrel ammo.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    There is no set answer to your question. What works best in 1 gun may not be the best in another gun. You really need to try different brands of ammo to see which one works best in your gun. The good part is that your talking about 9mm so ammo isn't near as expensive as some of the more exotic calibers.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Welcome to the forum

I use CorBon DPX +P. For more information about the topic go to the URL bellow:
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Absolutely one of the finest SD rounds out there. Though for the 1911 guns I like heavy for caliber choices like the 147gr Gold Dot or HST.

Assuming it feeds them well, I'd be running 147gr HST's, Ranger-T's, or Gold Dots.

Heavier bullets in shorter barrels tend to give better performance. Lightweight bullets tend to lose too much velocity to open reliably and still penetrate deeply enough to be effective.

The only way I'd choose a lighter bullet is if it was a monometal design.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I use Hornady 115 gr. 9mm for all my short 9mm guns. Low recoil, accurate, polymer filled hollow point provides great feeding and inexpensive compared to others. The design allows it to expand every time. The design expands so well in short barrels that it also works well in .380 and .38 spcl snub nose guns. The Polymer tip preventsit from clogging up. The ammo was designed for 12" of penetration so as not to over penetrate and will expand 1.8-1.9 times its size. It retains all of its weight except for the polymer ball most times. If you read gun rags you will notice that it is frequently used to test their guns and is consistantly one of the most accurate rounds they use for testing.

I had feeding problems with my 9mm Defender. Was told by Colt Rep that the 9mm will hit the feed ramp at more of perpendicular angle than a .45. Mine was just getting stuck with the nose on the ramp after it got a little dirty and did not like one brand (Winchester Ranger). Despite what is said on some forums, a very light polishing of my feed ramp with Flitz and a Dremal with a felt tip lightly applied polished and smoothed the ramp without harm. It now easily feeds Hornady XTP&FTX and Speer Gold Dots.

I find that with short barreled guns good non +p bullets are easier to control, shoot accurately rapidly and do not give up much, if anything, in return.

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    - I agree. Pick any one of the rounds in that list and find the one that feeds best in your gun. Reliability is more important than anything else.

Sponsored Links