S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed! - Page 3

S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed!

This is a discussion on S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And since the sum of the balls doesn't matter when you figure out how well it will do (as you are not guaranteed that all ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed!

And since the sum of the balls doesn't matter when you figure out how well it will do (as you are not guaranteed that all will hit), one much consider each pellet as an individual projectile, not the sum total.
    As long as I still have 2 left and I'm standing afterwards it's all good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't own a Governor or a Judge, but I am confident that for a 25' personal protection range, it would do a more than adequate job. I don't base this opinion on what I think a 410 handgun would or wouldn't be able to do. All one needs to do is research and locate the penetration tests conducted by several respected writers as well as the many plain folks that have done gel tests. It is well documented that the Federal Personal Defense 410 buckshot from a Governor and Judge will penetrate about 11 inches. It has been shown in tests and videos that the Federal Personal Defense 410 buckshot keep a 3-4" inch pattern up to 30 feet and very tight pattern at 7 yards. Many reviews of regular joes show 2 inch groups of 45acp and 45lc at 25-30'.

Four lead balls getting 11" penetration at 900 fps, in tight 3 inch groups at 7 yards, times 6 pulls of the trigger releasing the same volley over and over.... Anyone that says that is "worthless" or "terrible" is either addicted to hyperbole and exaggeration in trying to make a point, or simply showing ignorance of the facts. Could there be something better? I'm certain in many cases there are definitely other options that are better. It is big and bulky and using it as a CCW may be less than ideal. However, not knowing the specific scenario, of which there are hundreds of variations, we really don't know if a poke in the eye or a 357 is "better".

We do know a few things for certain. If you hit someone with four buckshot balls it will have the same impact per ball as four balls out of a 12 ga. The 410 shotgun shoots its buckshot pellet with the same velocity and impact energy, ball for ball, as a 12 guage. I am not making a comparison of the entrance wound between the two, only factual statement about the velocity and impact energy per projectile. We also know, from numerous formal and informal gel tests that the 410 buckshot personal defense loads out of a 410 revolver achieve adequate penetration depths. We know that the Governor is exceptionally accurate with the 45acp/lc at up to 30' (if you are shooting someone beyond that you are probably a shoe-in to be a defendant on trial for some murder in some degree). I regularly see owners hit 2" clusters well beyond 30'.

While I do not own a Governor or a Judge, I respect the velocity, energy, and accuracy facts that have been well document, at least for the Governor when used with specific ammo. Most everything else comes across like an argument over religion.

Very well stated, CAS_Shooter.

I've had a Judge for a few years now, and it definitely fills a void in my arsenal. We have a farm, and my Judge is the gun I carry 95% of the time when I'm out working on trails, bushhogging, or just walking around. I keep it loaded with 2 Federal Premium Personal Defense shells in 000 buckshot, 2 in 4 shot, and 1 Hornady FTX 45 Colt. With that combo, I'm prepared for snakes, coyotes, or anything else I encounter while out on the farm.

I keep my Judge in the center console of my car. I've read lots of test results and opinions on the effectiveness of 4 shot and buckshot fired from a 3 inch barrel. I've also seen first hand the destruction power of high brass 410 4 shot on a target 2-3 feet away, and I'm confident that I can convince a thug trying to carjack me that another vehicle would be better suited for him.

One factor that is usually overlooked on the countless "Judge bashings" on the internet is shot placement. I'm referring to actually hitting your target vs. missing altogether. Although I practice self defense tactics and shoot quite often, I am man enough to admit that I will be battling nerves and adrenaline as well as the bad guy in an adverse situation, and my accuracy will be affected. A (insert caliber) round that HITS a component of an aggressor's central nervous system is the quickest way to stop a threat, I get that. However, I feel that I have better odds of defending myself and stopping an aggressor up close with a blast of 4 shot. It may not kill my opponent, but it is downright nasty up close. The whole "aim vs. point" scenario comparing rifle vs. shotgun rounds is an element that I think favors the Judge.

Bottom line, (right, wrong, or indifferent) I feel confident that I have better odds of stopping a threat and escaping alive with my choice of "car defense".

Let the bashing begin.

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Maybe next year, Ruger will introduce "The Bailiff".

LOL.
    I figured Ruger would be the third branch of government. They could call theirs "The Legislator" or maybe "The Speaker of the House"
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

CAS_shooter has it right.

I have, and sometimes carry, a Judge Polymer public defender.

Here is a video of some testing of it.

I have no reservations as to its effectiveness at self-defense ranges.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I own a S&W Governor,it`s my EDC. Shoots great,never a jam or a misfire,is accurate and CC`s well. I keep it loaded with Federal 000Buck and a reload of Win Ranger 230grT waiting. Very Deadly weapon,don`t post if you have never tried one.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Govenor--For the man who just can't decide what caliber to carry. . .
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, I love mine and very accurate with the 45. Great home defense gun with the new defensive 410. Sure took care of a rattle snake!

But respect the comments

Should have said that I carry a Springfield XDS or Kahr pm9

I have a Govenor on order with Crimson Trace. I think it will be our close-in home defense gun. My other guns have the CT laser and in bright sunlight at 7 yards or so I can't see it but in all other conditions, the hole goes where the red dot is; one handed, shooting around a corner without exposing too much, left handed, etc. I personally love them. YMMV
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The Govenor--For the man who just can't decide what caliber to carry. . .
    This probably applies to most of us here. I suspect well over half own multiple guns/calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I have a few friends that carry them with .410 in the woods as a very awesome snake gun. Where I live you encounter rattlers, cottonmouths, and copperheads in the deer woods.
    I'm sure it'd work great for snakes - but I've never had a snake walk away from a snakeshot load from my .38 snub, either.

I've killed about 60 copperheads and a couple of cottonmouths with my Charter Arms Undercover.

Regards,
    Jim

A kid at the gun store I went to today carries one, the thing is a monster in terms of carry size. I'm surprised anyone carries it!

Distinguished Member
    I recently bought a Governor for Missus Whoppo for her forays into the more remote parts of our property. We've had an increasing number of rabbid critters attacking folks in their yards over the past few years and a few cylinders of #4 shot or 410 PDX1 is a great choice to stop an "angry raccoon" from nibbling at your ankles and a couple rounds of 45 Colt is suitable for "social work". The Governor fits that need quite well... Plus it's just fun to shoot! Is it an EDC weapon? Not for the average carrier. Is it an accurate weapon? At reasonable distances, absolutely! Easy to control? Yes again! I'm not saying it's a must-have weapon for everyone, but it's not useless, it's not ridiculous and it's not any less lethal than what many of you have chosen for self defense.

The Governor is a welcome and permanent addition to our collection.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Judge...Governor...Senator...Assemblyman...Court Clerk...Janitor...

when kel-tec releases the "janitor" i will be pre ordering one.
    FLArmadillo and StarPD45 like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links