S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed!

This is a discussion on S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you look at the new 2011 S&W catalog, you'll see the introduction of the S&W Governor. This gun shoots .410 shotgun, 45ACP & 45Colt...together! ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: S&W Governor Shoots .410, 45ACP, 45Colt Mixed!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

If you look at the new 2011 S&W catalog, you'll see the introduction of the S&W Governor. This gun shoots .410 shotgun, 45ACP & 45Colt...together! You can mix and match and it doesn't make a difference. S&W claims that you'll hit the target when mixing but wouldn't the perceived recoil really throw you off? Wouldn't you think?

JD
    Administrator
    I still see no point in these. .410? Seriously? and for .45LC I'd rather have something other than a sub 3" revolver. In terms of .45ACP, you'd be looking at a substantial velocity loss from the barrel length and empty chamber space in the cylinder. Why choose something that is guaranteed to REDUCE performance with the two more popular chamberings for self defense? The .410 in SHOTGUN size is not often recommended for self defense and that's factoring in a full barrel velocity.

Administrator
    I don't like moon clips. Just a personal quirk of mine.

I would guess this to be nothing more than an overpriced judge. A novel idea, but useless in practical application.

VIP Member
    Still not sure why S&W brought it out. I guess they saw Taurus selling a few of them and decided to jump on the band wagon. IMO it's nothing more than a novelty gun that serves no real purpose.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I hate it when companies that I respect start to turn "gimmicky". It usually portends a switch from substance to "fluff". I hope that's not the case here.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Judge...Governor...Senator...Assemblyman...Court Clerk...Janitor...

PSLOwner, tcon67 and Philly Boy like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I thought I read somewhere that the 410 buckshot ballistics are approximately the same as a 38 special (tested out of a Judge). If that is true, then I see three 30 caliber balls each traveling at about 800 FPS as useful. FYI I do not own one or plan to buy one, I'm just making an observation.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Nope. The buckshot balls are only about 62 gr in weight.

Here is the conclusion at "theboxotruth" about the Judge:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 4
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

A number of companies seem to be releasing these goofy guns. Someone earlier mentioned gimmicky. No reason for a gun like this when taurus makes one. Don't see anyone wanting to spend any extra than they have to on a revolver like this.

Whenever I see a thread about a new weapon announcement I cringe a bit. Some are good, others almost a joke( this, sr-22 in rifle section,etc).

Right, so more like a 38 special broken up into three parts. That's what I actually typed if you read more closely. ;)
    Dave

-Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the 410 buckshot ballistics are approximately the same as a 38 special (tested out of a Judge). If that is true, then I see three 30 caliber balls each traveling at about 800 FPS as useful. FYI I do not own one or plan to buy one, I'm just making an observation.
    Closer to an old-school .36 blackpowder cap & ball revolver, if you want an accurate ballistic comparison to a 000 pellet out of a handgun.

And since the sum of the balls doesn't matter when you figure out how well it will do (as you are not guaranteed that all will hit), one much consider each pellet as an individual projectile, not the sum total.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Closer to an old-school .36 blackpowder cap & ball revolver, if you want an accurate ballistic comparison to a 000 pellet out of a handgun.

And since the sum of the balls doesn't matter when you figure out how well it will do (as you are not guaranteed that all will hit), one much consider each pellet as an individual projectile, not the sum total.
    Yeah, and I was not aware that each pellet is only 60gr. I certainly agree given that information.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

I have a few friends that carry them with .410 in the woods as a very awesome snake gun. Where I live you encounter rattlers, cottonmouths, and copperheads in the deer woods.

10thmtn: You forgot Numbskull,Jerk,... etc. ...
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links