Are Glocks Unsafe? - Page 2

Are Glocks Unsafe?

This is a discussion on Are Glocks Unsafe? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every gun has its own unique weakness. Some are more glaring than others. Glocks are not unsafe, they just require a different mindset for use....

View Poll Results: Are Glocks unsafe?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would never ever carry one!

5 3.55%
  • Yes, but I shoot them at the range

4 2.84%
  • No, but I don't feel comfortable carrying one

21 14.89%
  • No, Absolutely not

111 78.72%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Glocks Unsafe?

VIP Member
    Every gun has its own unique weakness. Some are more glaring than others. Glocks are not unsafe, they just require a different mindset for use.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I've trained both with 1911s and Glocks. I've shot thousands of rounds through both. I love them both and have had no saftey issues with either. My saftey is my index finger and I keep it straight until I'm on target and willing to shoot. I'm not sure about the button thing, but if you drag your coat up high enough to draw or reholster, that ought not to be a problem. We did have a cop in a rifle class that wore a tactical front sling on a Wilson AR and had an accidental discharge(actually several) when he drug it across his mag holder. He did have it pointed down range, but everyone did the dance.
    My point is, accidental discharges are always a bad thing and can happen with any weapons system. I don't think Glocks are any more unsafe than anything else ...all guns are all inherently unsafe.
    ...one jagged hole!

I voted "absolutely not unsafe." Safety is between the ears...regardless of the machine. So, I guess I'm with the earlier post, "depends on the ape who's carrying it."

Oh yeah...I'm with Exit42...I like my 1911...my XD was okay...so is my Glock. My only problem is training myself to find the front site and not rely on feel alone...else I'll have the Glock at about 30 degrees above horizontal!

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

That is true ...there is nothing like the feel and pointability of a full size 1911. I still remember though "Front sight ... Press" (repeat a million times).
    ...one jagged hole!

Could happen on alot on firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    My instructor experienced a situation where one of his students with a Glock, on a cold day, accidentally shot himself in the butt cheek when re-holstering.

Apparently, the waste cord of his coat had one of those barrel style cord keepers, that ended up in the trigger guard area of his pistol as he re-holstered causing the loaded gun to fire.

Could that have happened with any other loaded semi-auto or revolver? You’d have to ask Mr. Murphy about that!

I pass this along not because it shows any particular weakness in the Glock handgun, although it does show that the trigger safety of the Glock is not fool proof, but more as a reminder to watch your weapon as you re-holster it!
    1st

1st off i want to make it clear that i'm not flamming the above coment. just adding to it. After i read this I got to thinking about it and this could happend with a number of my firearms, here are some to name a few.

Ruger P95dc, any Sigs and any Walther and last but not least any of my revolvers. I'am sure there are lots more. O and my Glocks LOL

"Keep your bugger hook off the bang switch"
    Be Safe & Shoot Str8

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Packing26
    1st

1st off i want to make it clear that i'm not flamming the above coment. just adding to it. After i read this I got to thinking about it and this could happend with a number of my firearms, here are some to name a few.

Ruger P95dc, any Sigs and any Walther and last but not least any of my revolvers. I'am sure there are lots more. O and my Glocks LOL

It is possible with many guns. Guns , by nature are only as safe as the user. Nothing wrong with a Glock or other safetyless guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    No more unsafe than a D/A revolver, pull the trigger and it will go off.

ANY gun is unsafe in the wrong hands. Glocks are no more or less safe than any other pistol. I have been carrying one since 1993 and have never felt unsafe with them.

Quote Originally Posted by berettaguy
    http://www.thegunzone.com/nd.html
    kinda like this guy..who i think is a u.s. marshall or something like that.

as far as glocks being safe...i'd have to say.honestly i don't know cause i only dealt with one and that was rented..

but by what i've heard about them going boom....
    First and fore most: Every gun is loaded. Second: If the mag is not out, and you have not, in the second preceeding, checked the chamber, keep your booger-hook off the trigger. Complacency hurts.

No more or less safe than any other weapon. Carelessness hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    Depends on the ape that's holding it.
    +1

I don't own a Glock, and probably never will, but I have shot them and have no issues with thier safety.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    Depends on the ape that's holding it.
    ++1! Carelessness can be a capital offense.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

First, before I get flamed too badly, let me say that I voted #4.

At opposite ends of the safety argument are: at one end, light trigger pull with manual safety and at the other end is heavy trigger pull without a manual safety. These were always the general wisdom of things. Then along came Glock.

Glock changed all of this. You can't compare it to the 1911 because it has no manual safety. You can't compare it to a revolver because it has a relatively light trigger pull.

While I agree that real safety is between your ears, the reality is that if you screw up and have your finger in the trigger guard of a revolver there is less of a chance (you can argue how much) that you will inadvertently activatel the trigger than with a Glock.

Same thing with a comparison to a 1911. If you have the safety on (assuming it doesn't fail) and screw up, you have a better chance of avoiding a ND than with a Glock.

I imagine there are quite a few people who felt that if they kept their finger out of the trigger guard, they would be safe but then went on the have a ND because of clothing items or something else getting caught on the trigger.

I guess what I'm taking a long time to say is that Glocks aren't unsafe they are just more unforgiving than many other guns. However, it is simple to compensate for this: always handle ALL guns with great care. The job is not done until the gun is seated properly in the holster.

Not only would I feel perfectly safe carrying a Glock, I plan to get a Glock 17 in the near future. While I don't really care for Tupperware , I love the idea of the high capacity.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Packing26
    1st

My original post was a real life story that shows "familiarity builds contempt!" We all can get so familiar with our weapons and procedures that we tend to sleep at the switch on occasion not taking in to the equation a new variable, in this poor fella’s case, a new winter jacket. Who’d a thunk?

I know how popular those little barrel keepers are on modern clothing so even with my SIG I keep an eye on the sneaky little boogers! They seem to like holsters!

As far as Glocks go... I'm having a very hard time not wanting another 23!
    Last edited by Thumper; August 11th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

No more unsafe than a D/A revolver, pull the trigger and it will go off.
    Thank you!

Why some peopke cant get that through their head is beond me
    Remember: "Dont put your finger where it doesnt belong!"

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    I wouldn't be caught dead with the tupperware gun.
    That's right, you wouldn't.. because with a Tupperware gun, you'd survive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links