Ruger SR40c or Glock 23

Ruger SR40c or Glock 23

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40c or Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get. I have not had any problems with my LC9 so that has me thinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ruger SR40c or Glock 23

Ruger SR40c or Glock 23

I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get. I have not had any problems with my LC9 so that has me thinking that the SR40c will be just as reliable. I do not know much about glock so I'm just not sure.
    dmdavis likes this.

I own the Glock 23 and can say it is a fine weapon. It is the standard issue weapon for FBI field agents.

The Federal Government spends a lot of your tax money testing & selecting weapons for its agents... Get the G23 for your money's worth :)

I owned an SR9 and I own a Glock 19. I would say to just try both and decide from there. I can faithfully say I would trust my life to either brand. They are both fine weapons.

The Glock will hold its value better.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    The Glock will hold its value better.
    That is a very good point!!

SHOOT BOTH BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

Personally, I'd take the Ruger simply because I don't like the way Glocks "feel."
    Kennydale likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't have any experience w/ the Ruger. However, the G23 is my duty weapon and it is an excellent choice. It is large enough to serve it's role as a duty/service size weapon yet small enough to carry concealed. While the 27 is a bit more comfy for a CCW, the 23 is not uncomfortable by any means.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

350rnds through my ruger and it just keeps getting better and better.
    Kennydale and calamityjane38 like this.

It's a matter of personal preference...perhaps you could find a range that rents both?
    Hold 'em, shoot 'em...then decide on the Glock.

I already have several Glocks and my decision to use a Glock as my EDC evolved from the use of many other firearms.
    I'm glad that not everyone likes Glocks...keeps the supply up and the price down.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a Glock 19 as my EDC and have been for years. Own other guns, but nothing comes close to my boy for ease of concealment, firepower and durability. I have the SR9C, and its a neat little gun, but the safety gets snagged on every loose thread it comes in contact....very annoying.

Glocks....hate the way they feel.....love the way they shoot, and since I'm not buying a pair of gloves, the latter will win every time.
    Glock2201 and Kennydale like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Glock 23 and an SR9c. The grip on the SR9c feels thinner, and the gun in general feels thinner, but weighs about 2 oz. more than the Glock. My understanding is that the 40 Ruger has a slightly wider slide than the 9mm SR9c, which is pretty thin. I also like the trigger better on the Ruger.

The Ruger is about $100 cheaper than the Glock, but, I really don't like all the controls on the Ruger: manual safety, ridiculous loaded chamber indicator, and key lock.

Either gun will be good, but I would suggest fondling, or renting both if available, to see which one suits you best.

This is a video review that may help: Ruger SR40c - YouTube

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I carry the G23 on a daily basis, so I think you know my answer.

P.S. I'd tell you to make sure they "feel good" if you were buying a safe/plinking weapon, but if you are planning on carrying one of these firearms that's absolutely irrelevant. Unless your grip has you pointing it in the wrong direction, there isn't much to worry about! I know with absolute certainty that if you handed almost any handgun worth its salt to someone like Chris Costa, Travis Haley, etc., (basically any expert) they'd be able to put the holes into holes.

You should shoot them if you get a chance, however, as it's always good to know whether or not you hate the trigger.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

hold them and see which feels better in your hand....I traded a Glock 23 in on a SR9c so you know where I stand i think Glocks are great weapons BUT I will never own one because their grips/grip angle SUCKS! and my SR9c is just as reliable, had just as good(if not better now) trigger and was just as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    SHOOT BOTH BEFORE YOU BUY!!!
    Personally, I'd take the Ruger simply because I don't like the way Glocks "feel."
    I have owned a Glock 22 but I PREFER the Ruger SR40c 100 times more!
    I have not had any problems with mine.
    You do not hear much about the little Ruger as there aren't any problems. Ruger has fixed the issues with the 9c first.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I had an SR9c, sold it and bought a G-36 I prefer the Glock over the Ruger.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links