Just read Glockman10mm "Clash"

This is a discussion on Just read Glockman10mm "Clash" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished reading the outstanding review by Glockman10mm's "Clash" and it made me think of a question. I also collect watches and have, through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Just read Glockman10mm "Clash"

Just read Glockman10mm "Clash"

I just finished reading the outstanding review by Glockman10mm's "Clash" and it made me think of a question. I also collect watches and have, through the years, belonged to different forums where the question has been raised, If you could only keep one of your watches which one would it be? I would expand the question here to If you could only keep or HAVE one gun what would it be? I currently own 5 guns and wish I had spent time here before buying. I enjoy my guns but would have spent my money differently had I better or at least more knowledge. For me, if I had to keep only one of my guns it would be my Bodyguard 380. It is by far my least powerful gun, except for the Ruger MkIII, but it is the gun I can have with me almost constantly. If I were to start over with a clean slate and could have only one it would be a good quality, reliable 1911 in 45 cal. At this point I am considering biting the bullet and moving some of my guns and just getting one I really want. Still have to decide "What" that gun would be but after reading the Clash I think I have a good start. His review did not change my mind about my guns just confirmed what I have been thinking about for a while now.
    Thanks for your outstanding and insightful review Glockman, it was a very eye opening read.
    Be safe, Frank.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If I could have only 1 handgun, without a doubt, it would be my Dan Wesson Classic Commander.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My Glock 19 is the last gun I would ever sell.
    mwhartman and MadMac like this.

VIP Member
    It is an apples/oranges comparison, at best. How about comparing a $1400 Glock with a $1400 1911?

That's a really tough one to answer. I have been into handguns for just 1 1/2 yrs., but have already had more than my share of the buy, use, sell syndrome! Recently traded my Beretta Tomcat .32acp so I could buy my LC9--- and am glad that I did--- but I really liked that little Beretta.Thing is, I don't want to end up with so many guns that I don't get to use the ones I have as often that I would like. So, back to the question at hand. If I could keep just one of my present four handguns I think it would have to be my Ruger SP101 in .327 magnum. It has been customized by Gemini Customs and is now with them to be ported. It is one really nice gun. But, truth be known, I'd really miss the other three I have come to appreciate. Now, if I could start over with just one, it would either be a Ruger revolver, a Glock or a S&W M&PC.I would stay away from the much beloved 1911 models only due to an article I read recently in which the author-- in the USCCA magazine-- claimed that MOST of the problems he encountered in his gun instruction classes was with the 1911's! Anyway, that's where I am today:tomorrow I could feel differently!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Only one? It would have to be the concealable Ultra CDP 45 with a 22 conversion kit in a pocket.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I'll keep my Glock 26.
    mr.stuart likes this.

I will NEVER sell my SP101. Jeeez, I wish you guys would learn to type in paragraphs with a space between. Your 500 word single paragraph posts give me a headache!
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

If I could only keep one gun, a .380 would be the FIRST one I'd give away.

OP - If you started over and could only have one, would it really be a 1911? Could you conceal that thing all the time?

If you could, great. But if you can't, and only having a 1911 meant that you had to go without at times, you'd be much better off with something else.

For me, it would probably be the PM9. It is pocketable (though at times just barely) so it could be with me just about all the time.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

10thmtn, that's a good question. Here's my answer.

I don't think that one gun can fill all the needs the defensive carrier needs. Now, for the last 2 or three months I have carried either the full sized 1911 or the full sized Glock with as little as a t shirt for a cover garment. But there will certainly be times when the dress attire of the day may call for the j frame in the pocket, or, the PPK.

I am convinced that carrying the biggest possible is the best, but a pistol in the pocket beats the service sized gun left behind.

Right now I have on and have carried the Colt Gov model all day with blue jeans and an untucked t shirt. I am getting ready to accompany my wife to a craft store and see no need to go smaller.
    Common sense and proper selection must meet the needs at hand, and sometimes what we want to have and can get away with are two different things.

Truthfully, anything beats nothing. But I do think for 90 percent of my needs the 1911 or g17 would do well. But for that other 10 percent, I have a j frame and PPK:)
    And again with them I feel reasonably armed. The difference is in how they may dictate my reaction to a given situation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - If you started over and could only have one, would it really be a 1911? Could you conceal that thing all the time?

If you could, great. But if you can't, and only having a 1911 meant that you had to go without at times, you'd be much better off with something else.

For me, it would probably be the PM9. It is pocketable (though at times just barely) so it could be with me just about all the time.
    That is a question I have been asking myself and to be honest I think I would still have to have my Bodyguard 380. This may change as I am currently working on a good iwb holster for a LC9 I just bought. I have yet to put through enough ammo to have the faith I need for a carry but it looks good so far. I still would like to have the chance to see how a 1911 works as a daily carry but not right now.
    Be safe, Frank.

I have a number of handguns, but only carry 3. Probably 80% (maybe more) of the time I have my Glock 36 on me. Another 20% it's my G21sf or S&W model 37. The snubbie goes in a pocket when I have do dress up. The G21 gets carried more in the winter when I wear jackets or if I'm out in the desert shooting or camping. The G36, however would have to be my choice to keep. I like the 45 round, it conceals easy on me (I'm tall and very thin) and has never failed to go bang for me. Since I carry it the most, I also practice the most with it and I can shoot the 36 better than any of my other handguns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

What scenario could one not carry a 1911, but could carry something else? I do go with a lighter smaller Kahr on rare occasion, but merely as a matter of convenience, not necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What scenario could one not carry a 1911, but could carry something else? I do go with a lighter smaller Kahr on rare occasion, but merely as a matter of convenience, not necessity.
    If you work, or live in an area, or associate with people, who are not necessarily very "gun friendly." Where printing or a bump frisk would have negative social and/or employment consequences. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I have spotted carrying guns at 4 o'clock under an untucked, sloppy, oversized shirt. I'm sure they all think they have "never been made," because I didn't tell them. They'd be wrong.

If your required mode of dress is a business suit, or professional looking and tucked in.

If you are a woman, and do not desire/cannot wear loose over garments (work requirements) - or are pregnant.

If you have small children, and they and their friends like to crawl all over you, and you don't want little Johnny's friend yelling "oooh, a gun!" in the middle of a kid's birthday party.

That's just a small sampling of folks for whom carrying a full size fighting pistol will be difficult.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links