S&W 686 Grips

S&W 686 Grips

This is a discussion on S&W 686 Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a good reliable source for Smith 686 Grips. I've got a 3" with wood grips that I'd like to make a bit more ...

Thread: S&W 686 Grips

S&W 686 Grips

Looking for a good reliable source for Smith 686 Grips. I've got a 3" with wood grips that I'd like to make a bit more concealable.

A good concealable grip for the gun is the Hogue Bantam as seen in this thumbnail of my 2.5" 686.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    A good concealable grip for the gun is the Hogue Bantam as seen in this thumbnail of my 2.5" 686.
    That's more what I have in mind. The grips on the gun are great, but a bit on the large side for my taste.

A set of S&W Magna grips and a Tyler T-Grip Adaptor will fill your bill.

Check out the Secret Service grips by Eagle - here: K/L Frame Round Butt Grips |K/L Frame Round Butt Grips Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips
    I have a pair on my M64 snubby and they conceal well, plus the area behind the trigger guard is nicely filled in.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Badger boot grips for K frame round butt

I have a S&W model 66 snubby, which has the same grip size as the model 686 short barrel models (2.5 or 3.0 inch barrel). I have Badger boot grips on my 66 and have been very happy with them. They are short and conceal well, but give your pinky finger a place to rest on the bottom of the grip.

Badger Grips Website

Attached Images
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Ahrends makes great grips for Smith and Wessons. The fit and finish on these are much better in my opinion than Badgers. Their site:

Ahrends Grips : Revolvers

And some real life pics on one of my guns:

I agree with Danimal. I have a set of Ahrend's Grips on my Model 66-7 and they are fantastic!

I have been told, but have not confirmed, that cocobolo wood can be toxic so you should not attempt to sand it without a respirator & latex or nitrile gloves.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Badger vs. Ahrends

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Ahrends makes great grips for Smith and Wessons. The fit and finish on these are much better in my opinion than Badgers.
    I also like Ahrends grips and have 6 or 8 sets of them on S&W revolvers, such as the dymondwood grips on this model 19 snubby. But I disagree that Ahrends grips are better made or finished than Badger grips. I find them about equal in quality. Badger uses dymondwood, a plastic laminated wood, fairly exclusively, while Ahrends uses mostly exotic woods and only some dymondwood. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

As best I can see in the photos the Eagle Secret Service grips (post 5) are flush with the botton of the grip frame - a + concealment feature. They also make Rosewood Regular Panels - the old S&W magna style which work with the Tyler T-grip .
    Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc

For some comparisons here are side by side thumbnails of my 686 sporting the Eagle Secret Service Grip and the Hogue Bantam Grip. The operative words in the OPs post are "more concealable" and both these stocks will fill the bill. For me, the Hogue offers a little more shooting comfort than the Eagle SS.
    Attached Images

pm9
    Altamont - Pistol Grips - Altamont - Pistol Grips They were stock on this gun but Altamount made them for S&W

I too am looking for some new grips for my 686 but for open carry. I've got the stock Hogue rubber grip on it but have been looking for a really nice full size classy wood grip for a couple functions I have coming up. If my wife can accessorize with jewelry I figure I can accessorize with grips.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Sponsored Links