Got rid of my G19 -- MP45c or MP40c to replace it?

This is a discussion on Got rid of my G19 -- MP45c or MP40c to replace it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was really wanting the MP45c because not only could i carry it in the winter, but it'd be a .45 for pin shoots as ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Got rid of my G19 -- MP45c or MP40c to replace it?

I was really wanting the MP45c because not only could i carry it in the winter, but it'd be a .45 for pin shoots as well. But a .40 should work for pins as well, would let me put a conversion barrel in for other fun and had one other advantage: I can find one locally. No MP45c's around here. I'd have to wait for the gun show I'm working this weekend to get one (if someone has one there). I CAN get the .40 though.

I like both. I'd be happy with either. About the only other advantage I can think of is buying the .40 would give me an excuse to get a fullsize .45 for myself for x-mas. Or my birthday. Or whatever other day that would make a good excuse.

My CCW most of the time is my PF-9, except in cold weather where I don't mind carrying something bigger like my old G19. I rarely OC. The G19 was my normal range gun as well -- but I just bought a BHP w/ adjustable sights for that.

So, Aside from the round counts, the fact that .45s DO clear pins from the table better, and that I am fine with a 9mm for defense so .40 vs .45 isn't big enough difference to matter to me (unless someone can show me that neither would be a step up anyway from my 9mm :P), anyone have any suggestions on why one might be a better selection than the other?

I keep wondering if there are other compact .45's and .40s that I should look at still. :/

I'd suggest buying your G19 back

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Buy what you like, not what folks say to get. I found the MP line fits my hand and points more naturally than my Glock does, but I like my G30 too much to change. I shoot every gun about the same, regardless of grip and fit. Any reason you gave up Glock and didn't upgrade to its larger calibers?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I too have my eye on a M&P45c, I did not warm up to the Glock 19 I had, some problems with the Gen4, let us know how you like the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I'd suggest buying your G19 back
    Yep bring it back

sgb
    Not a .40 fan, got a M&P 9c and would love to have a 45c.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Well I can't shoot a g19 straight unlike every other pistol I've shot, hate the feel of it, never wanted it except my dad gave me it free. It was a gen 2.

Plus the m&ps are so much more comfortable.

Choosing between the 2 versions are like me deciding which ben and jerrys flavor I want. I want them all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
    Well I can't shoot a g19 straight unlike every other pistol I've shot, hate the feel of it, never wanted it except my dad gave me it free. It was a gen 2.

Plus the m&ps are so much more comfortable.

Choosing between the 2 versions are like me deciding which ben and jerrys flavor I want. I want them all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls
    A good grip reduction makes a world of difference when dealing with a Glock.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'll buy your G19 if it's a Gen 3.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Get the .45 Put those pins down with some authority.

You will want a full-size .45 to supplement it later.

And don't underestimate being able to carry it year round.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    The M&P I don't have is the .40 because I tend to like 9mm and .45 acp. There is nothing wrong with the .40 if you want a conversion barrel. You will love which ever one you get. Meanwhile I get to try the purdy new recoil springs Glock sent me for my G19 and my G17! Hopefully third times the charm, then I can sell them and get more M&P's! LOL....
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I'd get what you want now, if possible. How about ordering one from an online dealer like Bud's Gun Shop. They have them in stock. $531 + free shipping... Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Something to think about...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Going on caliber choice alone I believe you will find the .45 ACP to be a better all around cartridge than the .40 S&W for your described uses of pin shooting and SD carry.

I have several Glocks in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP and if I were to give any of them up (which is highly unlikely at this time) the first to go would be the G-23 and the very last would be the G-19.

Good luck on your decision.

OS
    mwhartman likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Buy what you like, not what folks say to get.
    I will -- I'm not asking everyone to pick for me... mostly.. but it's really just me trying to figure out something I hadn't thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I'd get what you want now, if possible. How about ordering one from an online dealer like Bud's Gun Shop. They have them in stock. $531 + free shipping... Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Something to think about...
    You know what? I went to local range that I'm a member at and Bud's is the one place they won't deal with for a transfer. Apparently they've screwed up tons of orders, which becomes a bound book nightmare. I was gonna order it and ship to them but they said neg when I said it was Bud's.

I figure if I order it now, it'll get it in my hands by the weekend... But this weekend is the gun show where i'm selling my inventory app so I keep hoping someone will cut a fellow vendor a break...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links