First ccw cant decide

First ccw cant decide

This is a discussion on First ccw cant decide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cant seem to make a choice between the taurus slim 709 and the kahr cw9 for my first ccw. If you have one of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

First ccw cant decide

I cant seem to make a choice between the taurus slim 709 and the kahr cw9 for my first ccw.
    If you have one of these please tell me how it is for you. Or another pistol with similar dimensions not too pricey.

I am going to pocket carry this gun btw

Thanks

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Check out the Beretta Nano. It should be out this month I believe.

Beretta Nano

I have read many negative comments about Taurus customer service. ..have no personal experience with that brand.

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Kahrs are quality firearms. I would not even consider the Taurus.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It's only my opinion, but you asked...

Kahr =

Any Taurus =
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would not even consider a Taurus.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I wouldn't insider either. Taurus has quality issues. Kahr is financially tied in with a religious cult and I wont give a penny to groups like that.

If you are looking for a single stack 9 insider these:

Ruger LC9
    Sig 290
    Beretta Nano

I would advise to avoid the Kel Tec PF9. Mine was the biggest POS and even when it did shoot I didn't like the pistol.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Kahr all the way. If I did it over again my first gun would have been my PM9, it's my go to carry gun.

As far as some 'cult' is concerned...

The Unification Church of America has no business ties to Kahr Arms. The Unification Church operates as a legal, religious non-profit and has no interest in manufacturing guns. While some of our church members may be opposed to the manufacturing of guns, it is not inconsistent with Church teaching.

Unification doctrine teaches non-aggression while supporting the right to defend one's self and defend others against evil. In this sense, we hold in common with other faiths that it is not a violation of religious principles to invest in legitimate industries. The Church of England, for instance, considers it appropriate to invest its resources in a legitimate defense industry which produces arms under government license.

Kahr guns are sold mainly to law enforcement agencies and have been praised by them as an effective deterrent against crime, thus they serve a useful purpose in fighting crime.

From a religious viewpoint, the need for the police and the military to have weapons is due to man's sinful nature. Once the religious ideal of a peaceful world is realized, this need for weapons will be made obsolete.

Like the Church of England, the Unification Church believes all weapon manufacturing and distribution should be subject to ethical criteria and open to continual review to insure that these weapons are not used to promote repression or further the cause of tyranny.

Sincerely,

Chris Corcoran
    Public Affairs Director
    Unification Church of America
    March 15, 1999
    I'm OK with that, and could care less - they make a quality firearm, nobody is complaining about Crossbreed holsters religious ties, are they?

Thanks i guess the taurus is out of question.
    Now about that beretta nano that is coming out i like the dimensons
    .9 width
    5.6 length
    4.17 height

now only question is it risky buying a pistol that has just came out?
    Also how is berettas track record?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler1776 View Post
    .9 width
    5.6 length
    4.17 height

now only question is it risky buying a pistol that has just came out
    ?
    IMO yes, it is risky. I would not do it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'd venture a guess that most of the complaints on Taurus are from people who've not so much as held one let alone owned one. Taurus of today isn't the Taurus of yesteryear, I know plenty of people who trust their lives to Taurus and would buy another in a heartbeat.

VIP Member
    OK friend, two things for you.

1, welcome to DC. It's a great forum.

2, The guns you picked are not really for beginners. Taurus has a bad reputation....period. The Kahr is a fine weapon, in fact it's top notch. BUT sometimes new shooters have trouble with Kahr firearms. I own a Kahr CW9 and I like it allot but many new shooters can't get them to run right.
    If you READ THE MANUAL and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS with the Kahr you'll be OK but you should at least know that some people struggle with them.

I'd like to suggest some absolutely bomb proof/idiot proof guns that you might love. You should at least check these out before you buy.

1) The J frame revolver in .38spl or .357 mag. Revolvers aren't really "cool" anymore but they have been crushing bad guys for over 75 years. More importantly, they are bombproof! If for some strange reason you do get a click instead of a bang you just pull the trigger again. No tap rack bang drills for a revolver. Again, they are PROVEN winners.

2) A Glock26 or a S&W M&P compact in 9mm. Both of these guns are fantastic, idiot proof and super reliable.I consider them to be nearly equal in all things except feel. Fondle them both and decide what one you like best. They are both fantastic and you will hear thousands of opinions saying one is better than the other. The truth is that neither is better and they both rock! Check them out before you buy anything.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler1776 View Post
    .9 width
    5.6 length
    4.17 height

now only question is it risky buying a pistol that has just came out?
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    IMO yes, it is risky. I would not do it.
    +1 for risky. I wouldn't touch that gun with a ten foot pole for at least a year. All of these type of guns seem to have teething issues in the beginning.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Welcome to the forum !!! That's too bad that you are thinking of eliminating the Taurus PT709 from your list without even trying it. I have one and have over 3700 problem free rounds through mine. There are others that have the PT709 and have also had no problems with theirs. If you are used to shooting a 1911 then the Taurus PT709 will feel similar with the safety, etc. The other guns are fine guns too, but each of them have their share of problems. Go to each of their respective forums and you will see people posting problems with them. I hope this helps. God Bless

I carry a CM9 (smaller and a bit lighter than CW9) but I would not pocket carry it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Welcome to the forum !!! That's too bad that you are thinking of eliminating the Taurus PT709 from your list without even trying it. I have one and have over 3700 problem free rounds through mine. There are others that have the PT709 and have also had no problems with theirs. If you are used to shooting a 1911 then the Taurus PT709 will feel similar with the safety, etc. The other guns are fine guns too, but each of them have their share of problems. Go to each of their respective forums and you will see people posting problems with them. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Oh that is just flat out mean, trying to talk him into a Taurus when he was going to make smart decision.....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links