Wife has wants and I'm having a hard time.......

This is a discussion on Wife has wants and I'm having a hard time....... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No No No, get your head out of the gutter. Anyways, recently introduced wife to pistols and after handling my Ruger SR9C she has some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wife has wants and I'm having a hard time.......

No No No, get your head out of the gutter.

Anyways, recently introduced wife to pistols and after handling my Ruger SR9C she has some wants regarding her soon to be pistol which at the moment will be home defense and may turn into CW.

[1] The SR9C was to big for her hand, so I assume I'm looking for a single stack
    [2] The slide stop on the SR9C she absolutely hates. So I'm searching for a slide release
    [3] Caliber can be in 380 or 9 (I prefer 9 for cost).

I've looked at the bodygaurd, Kel Tec PF-9, LCP. Do any smaller pistols have a slide release or are most fitted with a slide stop only?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Kahr CM9 might be what you're looking for.

Can I recommend going bigger? The smaller pistols are usually the hardest to get comfortable with.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

VIP Member
    Another CM9 recommendation here.

I also have the PF-9, and although it is reliable, it will eat up a delicate hand.
    zonker1986, franco45 and Doodle like this.

You might look into the Beretta Px4 Storm.

It is a subcompact 9mm (also available in .40 cal), which is very modular in design.

The pistol adapts to different hand sizes easily with interchangeable backstraps (included).

An ambidextrous manual safety lever is positioned on both sides of the slide for easy access by all shooters.

A reversible magazine release button can be mounted on either side and can quickly be replaced by a smaller and larger size button (optional).

An interchangeable slide catch can also be replaced with an optional low-profile configuration.

A standard Picatinny Rail (MIL-STD- 1913) allows for an array of aftermarket accessories.

http://www.px4storm.com/default_us.aspx

I would also like to point out that the smaller the gun, the harder they are to shoot.

Also, people expect the gun to fit their hand like a custom fit glove. That is a totally unrealistic expectation to have. People are always going to have to adapt in some way to most guns.

Those who are not willing to make even the slightest compromise or put in a little effort to get used to a particular gun are again, being unrealistic. Then you have to start to wonder if they are even the least bit serious about defending them self during a lethal encounter.

If they are a person who really doesn't believe something bad can happen to them, then they are probably the ones who will find something wrong with every gun they touch. In essence, it's just an excuse not to get a gun, which they didn't really want in the first place.

Today, there are so many gun designs on the market, it is truly hard to find a gun which does not fit their hand adequately. Still, the shooter must be willing to make at least some compromise.
    Eagleks likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A pf9 is a tremendous choice if you want to save on ammo because she will never want to shoot it. Look at the Kahr cw9. It is cheaper than the smaller cm9, offers a longer grip, and longer barrel.
    franco45 likes this.

Thanks to everyone with some input.

The PX4 is wider than my SR9C so that would be a no go. The Kahr cm9 and cw9 is looking nice so far. I'll do some research on them. If anyone else can chime in much is appreciated.

Thanks again.

My wife said the GLOCK 19 grip was too big for her, but she fell in love with a GLOCK 26 with a +0 pinky extension. I think it has something to do with the hump at the botton of the grip. These are 3rd generation GLOCKS. I'm avoiding the Gen 4 bandwagon until it's been road tested some more.

Train her (cue mission impossible theme) to release the slide with her weak hand rather than using the slide release (pulling back on rear of slide and letting it sling-shot into battery. I hardly ever use the slide release anymore. I'll second your desire to stick with 9x19 for cost and other better reasons.

I'd also like to add that it would be best to get to the local gun store and let her handle various models, even though a lot of pistols are double stack their grips can be totally different.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I'd also like to add that it would be best to get to the local gun store and let her handle various models, even though a lot of pistols are double stack their grips can be totally different.
    We are going out shopping Next Tuesday to do that exact thing. The shop/range in our local area has a great bunch of guys and Ive already warned them she may want to molest many pistols which they found amusing.

I have to recommend the 3913! It is a awesome ladies pistol. I think you can only find them on gunbroker.com

Edit: They even make it in Pink!
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=255122785#PIC
    vista461 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'll second the CW9. My wife looked at the Taurus 709, Ruger LC9 and the Kahr CW9. The Kahr worked for her.

Make sure you take a snap cap with you. The Kahr slide takes a gorilla using both hands to relase without a round in the magazine. With a snap cap in place, it is a easy release with just the thumb.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XPerties View Post
    No No No, get your head out of the gutter.

Anyways, recently introduced wife to pistols and after handling my Ruger SR9C she has some wants regarding her soon to be pistol which at the moment will be home defense and may turn into CW.

[1] The SR9C was to big for her hand, so I assume I'm looking for a single stack
    [2] The slide stop on the SR9C she absolutely hates. So I'm searching for a slide release
    [3] Caliber can be in 380 or 9 (I prefer 9 for cost).

I've looked at the bodygaurd, Kel Tec PF-9, LCP. Do any smaller pistols have a slide release or are most fitted with a slide stop only?
    In regards to point #2, teach her to slingshot the slide. The only time one should use the little thumb tab to release the slide is, well, never.

Matt
    babarock, cammo and remington79 like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Looks like she might hold out to touch the Beretta Nano. I'm really liking the look of it and she is to.

If she thinks the Px4 Storm is too wide/big for her hand, then the Nano may end up being the perfect choice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Do you have a .357 snub? Let her shoot that a few times, then everything else will feel like marshmallows. My wife is FINALLY on 9mm EDC. It only took two years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links