Springfield XD 3" vs. 4"??

This is a discussion on Springfield XD 3" vs. 4"?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys! Been lurking here a while and find all of the information very worthwhile and helpful. I've got a question for ya'll I'm looking ...

Thread: Springfield XD 3" vs. 4"??

Springfield XD 3" vs. 4"??

Hey guys!

Been lurking here a while and find all of the information very worthwhile and helpful.

I've got a question for ya'll I'm looking to buy a Sprinfield XD .40
    but am trying to decide between a 3" SC and a 4" Service models.

The only real gain I can see with the 3" is that it's smaller so it will hide better in different carry senarios. (Also it's roughly the same size as the Walther PPK I currently carry)

Any suggestions as to pros and cons of each?

Once again thanks for the great info on this board!
    -Laurence

2. Remove Ads

I had an XD40sc. I didn't find recoil to be objectionable, though my wife did. Based on recently acquiring a good belt and holster for my 5" 1911, I think that the only difficulty in concealing either would be the thickness. Yep...maybe the grip in some circumstances. The SC probably won't be a pocket piece anyway...and you should get the full size mag with sleeve so you can have the Service sized grip, if you want.

I had to buy and XD all over again, I'd get the Service. For those times when the 1911 is just too big, I've opted for the mini-Glock. A buddy who doesn't have my budget restrictions still has his XD40sc, but carries a Kahr PM40 or Spgfld Champion (4" .45ACP) or...for summer...(GASP!) a Kel-Tec P3AT just because of the thickness. His XD has become a safe queen.

That said, I liked...really liked...the grip angle and length with the shorty mags. I think I would have liked the Service, too. I found that I could shoot my XD40sc as well as my 1911, once I got used to the .40's snap/twist. It certainly was an accurate piece. But, YMMV.

You might also want to browse the XDTalk fourms. And try to shoot both.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I have the SD 9mm SC and decided for the SC because of it's somewhat better concealability. It is a great shooting gun and very accurate whe nyo uconsider it's a 3" barrel.

Can't beat it, specially with the 16+ 1 magazine.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

so, smaller gun= easier concealability... on the flip side, shorter barrel= shorter sight radius and thus harder to make as accurate shots.

so, the hardest part of concealment is the butt of the gun... i've read about people who have taken their Service XD (4" barrel) and chopping the grip down to SC size. there are some posts on it over at www.xdtalk.com

not sure i'd ever have the cojones to do that to a gun of mine... i have an XD .40 service and 9 mm SC... the SC is nice for maxmimum concealment and a second mag with hi cap/sleeve extension. best of both worlds. the service is more for HD or winter carry.

While I don't own an XD, a shooting buddy has them in all three sizes. Since I carry a Glock 26, I can relate to the sub-compact version best.

For me, the shorter butt of the sub-compact Glock makes all the difference in the world for concealment. So, for carry, I'd recommend the sc version of the XD.

I did own a Glock 27, the sub-compact .40, and it was too much recoil for me to shoot fast and accurate. So, I switched to the 9 mm version and feel more confident in my shooting, and for me that's important when I carry.

I do love that little XD, and would nudge you in that direction.

I carry an XD40 sub, and I've shot the service--Longer sight radius and a bit less recoil for the service. Recoil difference isn't extreme. I'm pretty sure the sub is more accurate than I am--If I'm careful I can get 2" groups at 30 feet.

I own the .40 SC and have been very happy with it so far. The only complaint I have is the short barrel and grip causes it to "jump" a bit more than the Tactical model. Overall though I think that for concealed carry the SC is a better choice. As for choice of caliber I belive that the 9mm would probably jump around a bit less than the .40 and you would have a few more rounds in the short magazine. However, from the ballistics I have read the .40 has a slight advantage in overall wound creation. Until Springfield comes out with the .45ACP SC. (by all the Gods of War and Fire may it be soon!) I think the .40 SC is the best choice for CCW

I have a XD 9 MM SC 3" and a XD 357 SIG in the Service 4". For me it really comes down to what I'm going to wear and which holster I'm going to carry. Both are very accurate firearms. If you have a hard time deciding get the 4" as you already have a smaller gun with the PPK.

Thank you guys for all the great info. It is much appriciated!

Unfortunatly funds are short since I quit my summer job and will be going back to school full-time this semester but hopefully I'll have some extra money saved up so I can get the XD.
    -Laurence

I carry the XD9 in the 4" Service model without any problems. I have carried it both IWB and I also carry it OWB. My normal carry away from home is IWB and I have no problems going through the entire day even if I'm in my truck for a good portion of it. While driving, I'll leave it right at the 1:30-2:00 position I normally carry it in and it's not uncomfortable. I could upgrade to a better belt/holster combo and move myself up a bit in the concealment catagory, but going on terms of comfort alone, the 4" is fine. Going on terms on concealability, a good holster/belt will hide that 4" almost as well as the 3" to the point where you probably would not be able to tell.

Either one is going to be a great handgun. I plan on buying the XD45 as my next handgun since I have had such a great experience with my XD9. You can't go wrong with either one so it all comes down to personal preference. Buy what you like and you won't be disappointed.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links