Makarov Me

This is a discussion on Makarov Me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They look fun, they sound reliable, they seem pretty. Any good reason not to get one? Good / bad experiences? EDIT: actually ignore me and ...

Thread: Makarov Me

Makarov Me

They look fun, they sound reliable, they seem pretty. Any good reason not to get one? Good / bad experiences?

EDIT: actually ignore me and go here; EG makarov for carry
    Last edited by GunKeen; October 13th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    EG makarov for carry

Check this I recently posted on this subject
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Makarovs work great, from what i see from reviews, the East German, Russian and Bulgarian makarovs are the nice ones. Only con is the ammo availability.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Getting 9x18 AMMO is no problem you can order it online at many vendors like AIM, Sportsman Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt and many others. I have 3-4K rounds on hand now including Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Sellier & Bellot and CCI.

As far as carry ammo Hornady now makes 9x18 in their Critical Defense line.
    http://www.hornady.com/store/9X18-Mak/

Corbon also makes brass cased ammo in 9x18
    http://www.shopcorbon.com/Glaser-Pow...20/600/Product
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I love my little Russian Makarov...extremely simple take down...very accurate, mine came with adjustable sights...easy recoil...concealable...the bullets are cute...and the after market Hogue grips fit my hand much better than the stock OEM ones. I'd recommend anyone who's considering a Mak get one. They're tons of fun, really.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

all good steel...some can use a little love in the trigger group..they be great pistols, copys of post war Walthers..007 whatnot, every body wants them for cheap BUG in IPDA...Wifes got one, would never sell it .

Love my Mak, off duty I either carry the Mak or a snub.

Pirate (or anyone else) - Any opinions / experience with the Polish P64?
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    Pirate (or anyone else) - Any opinions / experience with the Polish P64?
    The P64 is an all steel and well made small pistol made at the Radom plant in Poland. The main issues (negatives) with this handgun is the very very heavy DA trigger pull and poor sites. Its also heavy for its size being an all steel pistol. I collect handguns cambered for 9mm Makarov so I have a couple in my collection. Its not as good a shooter and has more felt recoil than the Makarov or CZ82, but it is accurate and generally reliable. And the price is right for these pistols and almost all being imported are in VG condition. I replaced the factory springs with a spring kit from Wolff springs and that helped lighten DA pull a bit but its still heavy. The single action pull is very nice, light and crisp on the other hand. Many people and dealers who don't know better call these handguns Polish Makarov's but that is a misnomer since the P64 has much more in common mechanically with the Walter P series guns than with the Makarov.

Here is a great site for info on these pistols The Unofficial P-64 Resource

VIP Member
    No experience with the EG Mak, or the P-64, but the CZ82 is a fine gun. Little heavier, but 12+1 capacity.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm thinking about a Makarov... already own some P64s and some CZ vz 82s. Absolutely love the CZ vz 82, SA/DA trigger pull and transition from SA to DA is a treat. The P64 is my main carry gun for good concealment... But I prefer the 82 when I can conceal it... because of the trigger and the double stack mag.

As pirate mentioned, the P64 DA trigger pull is hefty in stock config... reportedly 24#!... sure seems to about that... I tend to cock the hammer before the first shot, but practice both ways... DA Pull on the 64 is sweet, though.

Like I said, I'm sort of interested in a Makarov, and would like to handle one... but I never see any at gun shows or dealers.

The 9x18 round is easily available and reasonably priced. at one point it was cheaper and more plentiful than 9mm (x19). Now it's a bit more expensive... I shoot silver bear in JHP and FMJ exclusively, and have had NO failures in either platform...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

How does the p64 recoil compare to the p11 or pf9?

Well, would people tend to choose the CZ82 over the Makarov?...having those extra rounds is certainly appealing, but I also don't know how much width that would add.
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    Well, would people tend to choose the CZ82 over the Makarov?...having those extra rounds is certainly appealing, but I also don't know how much width that would add.
    It does add width when compared to the P64 =~1.00" ... compared to the makarov... which wikipedia lists as 1.16" My CZ82 (Just measured with a caliper) at it's widest point (thumb rests) is 1.37", less than 1/8" thicker for 12+1 as opposed to 8+1

So:
    p64 width=1.00" 6+1
    Mak width=1.16" 8+1
    CZ 82 width= 1.37 12+1

Obviously, the P64 is easier to conceal than the CZ. The Mak and the CZ are very close, and in a better holster, My CZ would conceal as well as the P64 (My holster is the issue here, as far as conceal-ability). I use an Ace Case tuckable which will hold either the CZ or the P64. Not an ideal holster... but one that works for me.

I intend to improve the holster situation, but am strongly considering a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a wallet holster (Recluse).

As far as the CZ is concerned... For me, it is the most ergonomic fit of any handgun with stock grips that I have discovered. It fits my hand beautifully... And, that is what made me choose it... I've handled a lot of weapons before and after discovering the CZ. I have not yet laid hands on one that fit ME so perfectly. Others have not felt the same way about it...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links