S/W model 36 Classic input needed

This is a discussion on S/W model 36 Classic input needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously thinking about buying a new model 36 classic. Anyone have any input or experience with this particular revolver? Thanks....

Thread: S/W model 36 Classic input needed

S/W model 36 Classic input needed

I am seriously thinking about buying a new model 36 classic. Anyone have any input or experience with this particular revolver? Thanks.
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

2. Remove Ads

if you are taliking about the "new" classic line, then you cant go wrong. they are +p rated. If you are reffering to the original line, you still can't go wrong, but they are not +P rated. S&W makes great revolvers.

VIP Member
    I love S&W and I am sure our resident expert will shed light on the model 36. I have a few but can't speak for that model.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have one of the originals. I never considered it anything other than a BUG. A "Chief's Special" by name and design is a small lightweight revolver for those who don't want to carry the weight or size of a more serviceable revolver. JMO
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by robert98597 View Post
    if you are taliking about the "new" classic line, then you cant go wrong. they are +p rated. If you are reffering to the original line, you still can't go wrong, but they are not +P rated. S&W makes great revolvers.
    Yes, I am looking at the "new" line of classic revolvers.
    Thanks
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

I'm not at all keen on the lock feature on the new Model 36 classic. Other than that they are as good and as handy as they ever were.

The Model 36 is my favorite J-Frame Smith & Wesson and I much prefer it to the popular Model 642 for pocket carry. It's all steel construction and exposed hammer are appealing to me. The weight is beneficial when firing heavy .38 Special loads and the hammer allows choices. I do like to use mine in single action mode on occasion. The little revolvers are very accurate if one pays attention to shooting techniques. I have to admit though that the last time I made use of mine at distance was at a skunk lumbering down my parent's drive way at probably more than 30 yards, at night in the headlight beams of the car. I missed it despite cocking the revolver and taking deliberate aim. My dad likes to keep the skunk population thinned down.

Mine is a very early one originally shipped in 1952. It has seen a small amount of use with +P ammunition or handloaded equivalent with no ill effects. The Model 36, no matter what year it was produced, will take more +P ammunition than most shooters will enjoy shooting or be willing to purchase.

+P .38 Special ammunition is not as "hot" as its internet reputation suggests. The Buffalo Bore brand of .38 Special +P is a notable exception though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I also have an original 36. Mine has the square butt. I carried this gun for many many years as my edc. I found it to be extremely accurate and fun to shoot.
    Question Everything!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have an original I bought back in the 60's for use as a bug. Mine also has the square butt, fits my hand better, and is a great shooter.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Links