Which one to trade out?!

This is a discussion on Which one to trade out?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As it stands now I don't see myself as a collector of firearms. So I see no need to have more than what I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which one to trade out?!

Which one to trade out?!

As it stands now I don't see myself as a collector of firearms. So I see no need to have more than what I can use/need.

Right now I have a Glock 21, a Glock 26, a Ruger LCR .357, and a Kel-Tec PF9. The Glock 21 is for home use and the other three are for carry.

I've been questioning if I really need a .45 for home use(Its getting real expensive feeding that G21) and I see no problem defending my home with 9mm or 38spec/.357.

Now here's my question- My next purchase will be a Glock 19. Should I sell the Glock 21 to get the Glock 19 or should I sell the Glock 26 to get the Glock 19(Since the G19 will basically take the role of the G26's job anyway)?

The question comes from the ideas that 1) I might want to hold on to the G21 just so I still have a .45 in the stable. Or 2) the G26 could
    play little brother to the G19 and then I can stop purchasing a whole caliber all together.

Any thoughts or opinions on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Side note
    Just in case any one is wondering why the Kel-Tec or the Ruger is not on the chopping block is cause I'm a strong believer that every serious gun owner should own at least one snubby and a single stack semi-auto for carry.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think you should step into 2011 and frankly try an M&P. Trust me, the new flavor of koolaid tastes real good.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I think you should step into 2011 and frankly try an M&P. Trust me, the new flavor of koolaid tastes real good.
    Sorry C hawk, but nothing tastes like the original Koolaid!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Sorry C hawk, but nothing tastes like the original Koolaid!
    LOL........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

trade the G21 for the G19. G19 will do just fine for home defense and is also a great carry gun (my EDC). The G21 is IMO, just too darned big for anything except a range/home defense pistol.

.....C Hawk is right though....those M&P's are the only pistols that could ever replace my Glock 19 as my EDC.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    trade the G21 for the G19. G19 will do just fine for home defense and is also a great carry gun (my EDC). The G21 is IMO, just too darned big for anything except a range/home defense pistol.

.....C Hawk is right though....those M&P's are the only pistols that could ever replace my Glock 19 as my EDC.
    That was my thought Zonker(except for the M&P part lol!)

Geting rid of the .45

Get rid of the .45 and step down to a G23 GET A GOOD CONVERSION TO 9MM BARREL. The .40 will be a minimum of $5.00 less than the .45 per box to shoot. The 9mm
    conversion will allow you to shoot at least $10.00 cheaper than the .45 ACP. There is very little sacrifice in stopping potential between the 2 calibers and the .40 has a good track record for stopping threats quickly by LEO around the USA.The .40 is snappier in recoil and my perception is it is felt more by the shooter.
    This will probably require a Talon Grip or AGrip solution to help the weapon from moving around in your hand if that problem occurs. The Houge grips are nice but add
    unnecessary bulk.
    I had a LC9 and it failed and broke, literally locked up the action rendering it inoperable at 125 rounds sent it in to get fixed and then I sold it without firing it again.
    Replaced it with a G26 and never looked back. Good luck on thinning the herd

Quote Originally Posted by G23shootist View Post
    Get rid of the .45 and step down to a G23 GET A GOOD CONVERSION TO 9MM BARREL. The .40 will be a minimum of $5.00 less than the .45 per box to shoot. The 9mm
    conversion will allow you to shoot at least $10.00 cheaper than the .45 ACP. There is very little sacrifice in stopping potential between the 2 calibers and the .40 has a good track record for stopping threats quickly by LEO around the USA.The .40 is snappier in recoil and my perception is it is felt more by the shooter.
    This will probably require a Talon Grip or AGrip solution to help the weapon from moving around in your hand if that problem occurs. The Houge grips are nice but add
    unnecessary bulk.
    I had a LC9 and it failed and broke, literally locked up the action rendering it inoperable at 125 rounds sent it in to get fixed and then I sold it without firing it again.
    Replaced it with a G26 and never looked back. Good luck on thinning the herd
    I thought about the G23 but here's my problem with that......I don't like(I was gonna say hate but hate is such a strong word) .40S&W!

Sorry to hear about your LC9. But glad to hear about your G26!

If you're not looking for a collection or variety I'd consolidate into one caliber for simplification purposes. I have the G23 (exact dimensions of the G19) and it is fairly concealable and comfortable. These days the 9mm is plenty adequate for self defense, especially with the higher capacities offered by guns like the G19.

VIP Member
    Glocks are cheap and times are getting tougher. It may be a good time to keep all of the guns you have. I'd keep the .45 and get the G19.

I love my G19. It is my all time favorite pistol.
    DefConGun and GlockJS like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGLoCK23 View Post
    If you're not looking for a collection or variety I'd consolidate into one caliber for simplification purposes. I have the G23 (exact dimensions of the G19) and it is fairly concealable and comfortable. These days the 9mm is plenty adequate for self defense, especially with the higher capacities offered by guns like the G19.
    Another vote for the G19. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Glocks are cheap and times are getting tougher. It may be a good time to keep all of the guns you have. I'd keep the .45 and get the G19.

I see your point. If I can find some extra funds some where this might be the answer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    I see your point. If I can find some extra funds some where this might be the answer.
    I think that one thing that will be sure to hold or increase in value over the next few years will be guns and ammo. I think that if things go sideways that Glock 21 could be sold or traded to put food on the table.

I don't want to sound too paranoid but I think it is a good time to hedge your bets. If the economy gets better you can just sell it then, it will still be worth plenty.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

+1 w/what atctimmy said, etc.

My suggestion is to keep what you have and add to the collection. I've done the same thing with guitars. I'd get rid of one thinking I wanted something else and I'll be dog gone if I didn't get an itch for the same thing that I got rid of about a year later down the road. I wasn't happy until I got another guitar like the one I sold off. Sometimes there are exceptions. I don't really want my old PRS back, for example, but I'd wouldn't mind having another one. ;-)

I think that one thing that will be sure to hold or increase in value over the next few years will be guns and ammo. I think that if things go sideways that Glock 21 could be sold or traded to put food on the table.

I don't want to sound too paranoid but I think it is a good time to hedge your bets. If the economy gets better you can just sell it then, it will still be worth plenty.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    +1 w/what atctimmy said, etc.

My suggestion is to keep what you have and add to the collection. I've done the same thing with guitars. I'd get rid of one thinking I wanted something else and I'll be dog gone if I didn't get an itch for the same thing that I got rid of about a year later down the road. I wasn't happy until I got another guitar like the one I sold off. Sometimes there are exceptions. I don't really want my old PRS back, for example, but I'd wouldn't mind having another one. ;-)

Don't mean to sound negative but I see no up swing coming soon with this economy so I see no problem in tucking the G21 in the back of the safe to use as a barganing chip later on down the road.

My problem is finding some extra cash to get the G19 that doesn't get sucked into something else(don't it seem like something always needs servicing or breaks down right when you get some extra cash in hand!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links