Your input needed for new project, keeping it "old school" 1911

This is a discussion on Your input needed for new project, keeping it "old school" 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have been doing some work on 1911s for a time and ready to work on a new shop project gun. I have ...

Thread: Your input needed for new project, keeping it "old school" 1911

Your input needed for new project, keeping it "old school" 1911

Hi all,
    I have been doing some work on 1911s for a time and ready to work on a new shop project gun. I have been "off line" for a time.
    I have a new personal project in the shop that I am looking for some input on. This is where you get to tell me what you want to see done to a Mil-Spec Springfield as far as custom work. The idea is to follow in the footsteps of some of the "old school" custom smiths and see what we can come up with. I am thinking of Swenson style stippling on the slide top, perhaps stippling or 40 LPI serrations on the rear of the slide, combo of stippling and hand cut slide serrations like I have done on other guns. Of course I will do the normal match bushing, frame to slide tightening, trigger, replacing all the MIM with the good stuff. So far the gun has been "hand checkered" as received by me and it needs some work to fix. More on this later but the gun will have checkered checkering meaning paneled checkering with some lines or gaps or pattern to open the checkering up a bit and for some thing a bit different. Bear in mind that I will NOT be using a mill on this gun to do anything that can be done by hand and the "old school way". That is what I do. I will use it for recessing the target crown and maybe the lathe for fitting the match bushing but I usually do them by hand anyway. Call me old school but that is the way I like it.
    Anyway, if there are some retro custom touches that you really would like to see incorporated on this SA Mil-Spec, let me know. It is done in Duracoat Dark Earth for the frame and a parked slide but I am thinking either parking the gun or a really nice polished blue.
    Email or post your suggestions and let's "build something together". It will be the model for future package guns and will be going up for sale at the end of the project for a really nice price for forum readers.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would be inclined to go with the Parkerizing or maybe a nice satin blue. I would also prefer the short trigger and flat mainspring housing, short fingers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I would like to see a 10mm version.

Throw on a Smith & Wesson K-frame adjustable rear sight, as Arnold "Al" Capone did at King's Gun works. It's short of a BoMar but rugged, adjustable, and definitely a retro look.
    Untitled
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

.45 only

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I would like to see a 10mm version.
    Sorry, the gun is a .45 and the breech face is too wide and other things so it will be a .45 only
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Throw on a Smith & Wesson K-frame adjustable rear sight, as Arnold "Al" Capone did at King's Gun works. It's short of a BoMar but rugged, adjustable, and definitely a retro look.
    Untitled
    Its sad they went out of business. I always liked their hardball sights, and they were "old school"

Cool topic.

I used to drool over the custom .45 articles and photos that are found in the Guns & Ammo Annuals from 1970 to 1972. Lots of good information and photos of knock-out custom .45s can be found there if you can locate a copy. Mine are tattered but I still have 'em.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links