The time is coming

The time is coming

This is a discussion on The time is coming within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Each day we creep closer to Nov 1st. I already have a few choices but am looking at some new options. I have 2 New ...

Thread: The time is coming

The time is coming

Each day we creep closer to Nov 1st. I already have a few choices but am looking at some new options. I have 2 New Kahrs P380 and PM9 for extra small and summer use, also have full size XDM's in 9 and .40 bought for HD since we could not CC. Not all that happy with the XDM's triggers seem a bit mushy but I got a good deal at a gun show so they work next to the bed. Now I need something for primary EDC, I am looking at these three, SR9C, M&P9C, and Sig P250. Don't want a Glock and don't need all of the reasons I am an idiot for feeling this way spelled out. I like the way all three of these feel and fit my hand. I like the triggers on all three but have only shot the M&P. We do not have any ranges within a 2 hour drive so rental is out. I like the Ruger having both 10 and 17 round mags. I really like the concept of the Sig with all of the modular parts, kind of like many guns in one. In the end I will probably end up with all of them plus the 1911 I am coveting (costs more than all three of the above combined) but I need a starting place. I hope I can get some direction from actual owners that own or have fired at least two of these, not just buy this cause I did. Thanks.

Heres a bunch of reasons your an idiot for not wanting a Glock...........,just kidding,of your three choices I would choose the M&P9,I think S&W has finally got it right,they happen to be on their 4th gen in 6 years,but the guys I know that carry them have had great luck with them.Sig has went to the crapper,thats why their trying all this new stuff,and Ruger is doing a lot of fire control group outsourcing to the Koreans.

M&P 9C hands down. You want to have the ability to have a 17 round mag at your disposal? Just get a full size M&P 17 round mag, and add the X-grip from Gun Parts | Gun Accessories | Top Gun Supply
    and there ya go.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I have all three of the P250s in 9mm and I can shoot them very well. I have about 8k rounds through all of mine with only one problem which I'm chalking up to a bad round. You will here people say that the P250 is junk and that it is problematic. During the early days of the P250 they did have some issues with the design that was later worked out and many people have had great success with them. You will also here people say how bad the trigger is. Yes it is a double action only pistol so each trigger squeeze is going to be long and not really all that heavy at approx 5.5 lbs. The trigger is an acquired taste, but it is one of the smoothest triggers I have ever seen out of the box. As you stated the modular system is an interesting concept, however with the fact that they are not really a hot seller right now the price for a new one is under $400 on gunbroker.com, I would opt to just buy a second pistol. Now I do like the idea of the SIG P250 2sum where you get both the full size and the sub compact in one package. Finally it is simple to use, being a DAO you have two controls on it the mag release and the slide lock that is it no safeties or other gadgets to mess with. Just a good 5.5 lbs DAO trigger. I can't personally speak to the SR9c or the M&Pc as I have not messed with them. All indications however is that they are rock solid pieces.

We are all different and have different needs and comfort levels. No need to apologize for doing what make you feel comfortable with your EDC. Just my 2 cents!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I currently carry an M&P9c and I couldn't be happier with it. Very accurate, very concealable, good capacity, lightweight, and the ergonomics on it feel great in the hand and lend to accurate fire. Only recommendation above that would be the Apex Tactical DCAEK. Well worth the money if you intend on shooting comps with it (IDPA/IDSA), and worth it IMO even just for carry purposes. I've owned and carried a Glock 19 and am very happy I traded it for this gun.

OpJ

In the category you are looking for, the M&P, Glock, and XD's seem the way to go. I didn't personally like the feel of the SR9C or the Glock, I went with the M&P 9c and absolutely love it. I'm sure all of the mentioned firearms are great, and to parrot the above posters "get what feels right".

VIP Member
    I know several folks who carry the M&P, which they shoot very well and like very much. I have been fond of S&W since my first double stack model 59 many years ago. If I didn't edc Glocks, M&Ps would likely be my next choice.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Heres a bunch of reasons your an idiot for not wanting a Glock...........,just kidding,of your three choices I would choose the M&P9,I think S&W has finally got it right,they happen to be on their 4th gen in 6 years,but the guys I know that carry them have had great luck with them.Sig has went to the crapper,thats why their trying all this new stuff,and Ruger is doing a lot of fire control group outsourcing to the Koreans.
    Sig has gone in the crapper? Maybe we can chat about them 4th generation glocks.

Of your three considerations, I feel comfortable saying that you will most likely get the best customer service from S&W.

Should you ever have a problem with the gun S&W will make it right... always.

Sponsored Links