Ruger sr40c problems

Ruger sr40c problems

This is a discussion on Ruger sr40c problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a ruger sr40c slightly used from a local firearms dealer for $350 otd. The gun felt great. It was very smooth shooting, it ...

Thread: Ruger sr40c problems

Ruger sr40c problems

I bought a ruger sr40c slightly used from a local firearms dealer for $350 otd. The gun felt great. It was very smooth shooting, it had almost the same recol as any subcompact 9mm i've shot. It also is verycomforable to carry. The only problem is i was haveing a few light strikes. I've tried 2 types of ammo so i dont think that was the problem. I carried the gun back to the dealer and they also noticed the problem. The dealer is very helpful and said he wants to send the gun back to ruger and is trading me straight up for a new one in the box. My concern is with the line of guns. Is that a common problem or can it be that particular gun. And what are some ways to fix it. I got a great deal on the gun and would love to keep it. But if it wont shoot when my or my wifes lives are on the line its about as good to me as a hammer.

Over at the Ruger forums, it is a fairly standard question. The best results are obtained if you thoroughly disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble the pistol prior to the first range trip, this includes the striker channel and striker assembly. Check out the Ruger tech videos for more information.

Good luck,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    If the dealer is willing to trade you straight up for a new one, take the offer. Since you are not the original owner, you may be charged for any repairs made.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Not to worry. That's pretty common with the SR series guns, due to factory grease in the striker channel. Before you send it back, disassemble the striker pin and clean out the channel well.

Yeah please clean out that stryker channel B4 you do anything else...The one on my SR9c was doing the same thing with WWB 9mm rounds(and strangely ONLY WWB) when I got it home I found a whole bunch of crap in that channel...after cleaning it out it worked 100% for over 1500 rounds now. And when I say clean it I mean really take the striker fully OUT of the gun and clean the inside that channel I used a Q Tip type thing and it worked well.

i'm sure you could easily fix the problem by thoroughly cleaning the striker channel,but if the dealer offered to "trade you straight up for a new one in box",why not take him up on it..

thanks for all the advice. i really like the gun and would love to be able to rely on it. hopefully that will help i pick the new one up on tuesday i reckon we'll see then
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

I've had one since they first came out. No problems!
    I love the little c's ( I have both the 9 & 40c)
    Yes, clean the channel.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Hi I am a new src40 user, and if you mean light strikes are when the gun does not fire, then yes my gun did this to me and my husband shot it also and came up with the same thing. We have since cleaned the gun really well, and I'll tray again. I do love this gun, but have concerns over this issue. God forbid you need it and it won't fire. My son mentioned too, that with this stricker fire, that if you push on the muzzle it will not fire, so if you had to press it hard in a tussel you may not be able to fire, and I wondered, if it is the striker fire that is doing this to the gun? I did notice when it would not shoot that the trigger is not all the way forward in position and when we emptied it you could see the trigger reset. I'll take it out this weekend and see if I have any issues. I am glad I joined this forum to hear about your experiences. I want to change the bottom of the small mag because it punches into my palm when I load it and it hurts. My hands are so small and whimpy I have to get really good at handling this before I decide how much to like it. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome hrstang! I would definitely make sure you thoroughly clean your sr40c. They generally come full of grease from the factory and will cause a lot of the issues you are having. If you still have the problems get ahold of Ruger customer service, they are very very good and will make sure everything is fixed for you.

I love my SR40. Just got back from the range with it. Have not had any light strikes. Have had a failure to eject once. I think it was a bit dirty. I have put about 500 rounds through it in 3 months and it is remarkably accurate...or I close my eyes...and shoots every time. The striker on yours may have become worn down if it was used. Take the newby and enjoy it.

I had this issue with my SR40C when I got it and after a through cleaning including the striker assembly the gun fire beautifully!! I love this gun, I love Ruger products too made in the USA. I just bought the LC9 Lasermax for my summer carry since its smaller! Both great guns!!!

SR40c light strike issues

Love my SR40c love the fact that it is made in Arizona, It is my daily carry piece!!! I never have had an issue with mine, that i recall! Couple k rounds at this point. Have another SR40c that i simply bought for an investment!!!

May i suggest something that i picked up from my brother (with a little refinement) as far as cleaning. Having read somewhere that the major cause of ftf light strikes (is caused by impacted firing pins) i use aerosol can products; brake cleaner, "xtreme klean duster", Amzoil spray lube. (having turned a little cone on the end of the tube (for each can) by chucking the tube up in my cordless drill, then while spinning the tube i hold a dremel grinding wheel at an angle, very slight angle maybe 7 or 8 degrees) this allows me to poke the cone shaped end into the hole where the pin emerges. Would post pics, but the wife and the camera are out of town seeing the granddaughter Poppy is what she calls me!!

Blow brake cleaner, blow duster, spray (the stuff is actually used for dusting electronic components)blow amzoil, then the duster again to move out anexcess. Paint the tiniest amount of synthetic grease on the slide rails with a brush.

Each tube has the little cone on the end which allow you to create a seal against the hole for the pin. I know purists want you to use Hoppes and other stuff like that. Listen to who you like!!! Metal is metal. I like synthetic oils for my car and my weapons!! Much tougher and fewer reactive issues/

Links