Walther PPK or Bersa Thunder

This is a discussion on Walther PPK or Bersa Thunder within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend is finally in the market to buy her first pistol. We tested quite a few out at the LGS and so far the ...

View Poll Results: Which

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walther PPK

32 31.37%
  • Bersa Thunder

57 55.88%
  • Other similar to the PPK and don't say Glock!

13 12.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Walther PPK or Bersa Thunder

Walther PPK or Bersa Thunder

My girlfriend is finally in the market to buy her first pistol. We tested quite a few out at the LGS and so far the Walther PPK is what fits her hand the best. It also has enough safety features that makes her feel more comfortable with handling a pistol.

Being that the Bersa Thunder is basically a clone of the Walther PPK, which would you recommend? Price is not the biggest determining factor for this purchase. Quality and reliability are the greatest concerns. Any info from those with experience with these pistols would be appreciated.

Please do not suggest other gun models or calibers, the Walther PPK is the style of pistol she wants to go with.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Check the stainless steel SIG P-232 with factory night sights and Hogue grips. It's everything the PPK/S should be and feeds modern hollow points with no problems whatsoever. The edges have been smoothed so it carries comfortably and the dimensions are almost identical to the Walther. I don't know anything about Bersa pistols, but PPK's are notoriously finicky about what ammo you put in them. I have a PPK/S also. The difference in quality between it (Smith & Wesson manufactured) and the Sig are obvious and dramatic. If you can find an older Interarms PPK, then you would probably have a pretty good little pistol.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I voted for the Bersa. I've shot one (it's my dad's) on several occasions with a wide variety of ammo and have had NO problems. I had a PPK. I sold it not long after I bought it. I didn't particularly care for it. The biggest problem I had was the thumb rest on the grip. It constantly dug into my side.

Like the Bersa also!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I've never shot the PPK, however I do have experience with the Bersa Thunder. It's well built and has always fired when the trigger was pulled. Fit and finish may not be as good as the PPK, but what is important is reliability, and when it comes to that it's a winner.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've had both. And never had an issue with either. I like the PPK cause it's a classic and is classy. I like the Bersa because it works just as well and has better sights. Both are extremely accurate.

Comes down to if you want a classic with the price tag to match, or an Argentina mace copy that is just as good for half the money. If you go with the Walther, I would prefer an Interarms version over the S&W.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Had a Bersa Model 83 .380, two Bersa Thunder .380's, and now have a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus 15 +1. If you have to carry a .380 as a primary, the Bersa fits the bill just as well as the PPK for half the price. As Gman said, they are scary accurate little guns, and have never given me a bit of trouble.

comparison of Thunder Plus with Thunder .380

Last edited by zonker1986; October 16th, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added Comparison Pics with Thunder Plus
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I had a PPK. A little snappy. But, truly, why are you considering a .380 when there are now many many single stack 9mms that would be a better choice?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

If those are my only options, PPK. It just "feels better" to me than the Bersa. It also has much more sex appeal. As Glockman stated, shy away from the S&W models. The Interarms were far better.

If you are looking for a small carry gun, it cant hurt to check out other options (Kahr p380, pm9 etc...) I have a PPK and a PM9. The Kahr is smaller, lighter, and shoots better, with a larger caliber to boot. Not trying to beat a dead horse though! The PPK is super sexy, and I love mine, but its days of being a great carry gun ended when smaller more powerful handguns became popular.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My vote went to other. I've owned both the Bersa and PPK as well as several other models of this type. By a wide margin my preference is toward the Beretta 85 or 84 or the Sig P232 because of their overall quality, light weight factor, reliability and accuracy. The Sig in particular will feel similar to the PPK... maybe even better. I suggest she fondle one. There are several grip styles avialable for the P232, one should fit her hand very well.

Good luck in your hunt.
    Last edited by ripley16; October 16th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Between the two which your girlfriend has narrowed the field down to, I would probably choose the Bersa. For the same reasons as stated above, price and reliability.

I voted Bersa....not only because I think it's just as reliable as the PPK, but also because you can almost get 2 Bersa 380s for the price of 1 PPK.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Bersa over PPK. I've had both and got rid of the PPK due to the bite between my thumb and finger; it was awful and putting on a new grip didn't help. As others have stated, a compact 9mm should be considered before you buy a .380.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Bersa---Price for performance. The Bersa is a better all around buy
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

EdC
    If money was a factor, definitely the Bersa. I have two (regular two-tone and a Bersa CC), and like them.
    Accurate and reliable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links