P3AT is starting to get on my nerves.

This is a discussion on P3AT is starting to get on my nerves. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last time at the rage with my P3AT it was FTE's and then trying to double feed. This was with WWB. I got a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3AT is starting to get on my nerves.

P3AT is starting to get on my nerves.

The last time at the rage with my P3AT it was FTE's and then trying to double feed. This was with WWB. I got a new extractor for it. I never replaced it and decided to try and give it another go with ammo I know works in my Kel-Tec, which was PMC. Well, now a new problem arose. FTF's. But a special new breed of FTF's I've never seen before. The rounds seems to be face planting right into the feed ramp a the very bottom where the edge of the feed ramp and the frame meet. It would then try to chamber the round but would not full chamber due to the damage done to the round. It's pushing the bullet back into the casing crooked, leaving a nice gash on the tip of the bullet. This could be a mag issue. I only have one mag that I bought with the gun.

Kel-Tec says there is a 200 round or so break in. In the first 200 rounds, I had 1 FTF. After the first 500 or so rounds, every single box of ammo has at least 3-4 failures of some kind. It seems to be getting worse.

I know Kel-Tec has good customer service. Sending it in probably wouldn't be a problem. But, I don't think I could ever 100% trust it. I started shooting my Glock 30 and it's like that gun's made of magic. If never fails. The Kel-Tec was good at first, but is quickly getting worse. At one point I had to push the trigger pin back into place because it wasn't releasing the hammer.

If you look closely, the picture doesn't do it much justice, but you'll see the round is set into the case at an angle

And here you'll see the nice gash on the tip of the bullet

I'm getting fed up with this thing. It seems to feed Hornady CD best of any round I've fired through it, but still not 100%. I, foolishly replaced my Kahr Mk40 with this thinking it'd be easier and lighter for pocket carry. Well it was. But I took a serious hit with power and reliability. I want a new pocket gun. I carry my Glock 30 primarily, but I can't at work. That's where pocket carry comes into play. I need a pocket gun. I'm thinking of getting a .38spl of some kind but even the smallest ones are a bit bulky for a pair of pants pockets.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Polishing the feed ramp will generally cure both problems. The little nicks are sometimes called smilies and occured with some LCPs. I bet if you take drimmel tool with a buffing cone (it is about the size of a .38sp cartridge an about 1/2 as long) and polish the feed ramp and around the breach things will improve. You don't want to remove any metal. You simply want to make the surface have a mirror finish. Polish, wipe off, polish, wipe off etc. Look in the KTOG forum for more detailed info.

I don't think your problems are as bad as they appear.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like a mag issue primarily. I'd ship the gun back and give them one chance to make it good.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm with OldVet - I bet it's a magazine problem. Time to make it Kel-Tec's problem.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Looks like you need more oil? :-)

This may be a dumb question, can firearms be shipped by USPS, or do they need to be shipped by FedEX, UPS or by anybody specific? Or, does it not matter at all? I think I may take Old Vets advice and at least give them a chance to make it right. Send them a note with exactly whats going one, maybe they'll replace the magazine, may polish the ramp who knows. Maybe send me an entire new pistol ;)

You seem to have the Kel-tec version of the Ruger LCP "smiley" issue. We have three LCPs in the family, and one of them had this issue. Took two trips back to Ruger, but they fixed it.

Call KT - they will likely give you a RMA number, and probably email you a pre-paid return shipping label via UPS (NOT USPS!)...at least, this is what Ruger does. They pay the shipping.

I would also ask them to test fire it with at least 100 rounds before they ship it back. Ruger usually tests with 24, but on the second trip back, I asked them for an extended 100-rd test on their dime, and they agreed.

Good luck!

ETA - I would also probably prefer a snubbie to the small .380s for reliability, but the snubbies are just a whole lot bigger and thicker, and just do not work in my pockets. Largest I can get away with is my PM9, and even that barely fits in some of my pockets. My pocket carry woes are further compounded by big ol' tree-trunk thighs, which means everything prints in my pockets when I sit down. I can only get away with it because the pocket holsters I use have an anti-print panel, so the printing looks like a wallet or a smartphone. So - you are not alone!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    This may be a dumb question, can firearms be shipped by USPS, or do they need to be shipped by FedEX, UPS or by anybody specific? Or, does it not matter at all? I think I may take Old Vets advice and at least give them a chance to make it right. Send them a note with exactly whats going one, maybe they'll replace the magazine, may polish the ramp who knows. Maybe send me an entire new pistol ;)
    Handguns MUST be shipped by FedEx or UPS. The USPS will only ship long arms. If Kel-tec is nice, they'll send you a free shipper (or email you one you can print).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    It has to be FED-ex or UPS. Before you just ship it to them, give their CS people a call or e-mail. A lot of gun companies will pay to ship it on their dime, because it has to be shipped same day air, so it is rather expensive.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I used to carry the small semi autos all the time. Just like you I developed issues trusting them; then I went to the small j frame revolver and haven't looked back since. It may seem larger and more difficult to conceal, but in my opinion the j frame actually conceals better in a good pocket holster and provided you don't wear you slacks, or jeans too tight. It's a small trade off, being down two rounds doesn't bother me either, knowing that the .38 special can be loaded in +p, or with the heavier grain bullet for better ballistics wins the day..JMO

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Looks like it may be a Magazine problem to me... maybe a weak spring or have you ever taken the spring and follower out? the mag spring might be reversed if you did. Just a observation here.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I used to carry the small semi autos all the time. Just like you I developed issues trusting them; then I went to the small j frame revolver and haven't looked back since. It may seem larger and more difficult to conceal, but in my opinion the j frame actually conceals better in a good pocket holster and provided you don't wear you slacks, or jeans too tight. It's a small trade off, being down two rounds doesn't bother me either, knowing that the .38 special can be loaded in +p, or with the heavier grain bullet for better ballistics wins the day..JMO

I'd LOVE to pocket carry a j-frame. I tried pocket carrying the Mk40, and mainly it was too heavy, but even the size of it was a bit too much. J-frames are much lighter than the mk40, but they're bigger in every way, height, length, thickness. Its seems it'd be difficult to carry in the pocket of my work pants. But trust me, I'd be happier carrying a j-frame, I just can't make it happen. The Kel-Tec works perfectly for pocket carry. If Kel-Tec can't fix the problem, I may start looking and saving up for a new deep-concealment pistol.

Any other time, included the second I type this, I have my Glock 30.

VIP Member
    Nose diving smileys can be caused by improperly aligned feed lips, a slight bulge in the case from the seated bullet's base which allows the noses to rock down as they're stripped off the magazine, rough feed ramp surface, sticking follower, or lack of upward spring pressure to the front of the follower.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Looks like it may be a Magazine problem to me... maybe a weak spring or have you ever taken the spring and follower out? the mag spring might be reversed if you did. Just a observation here.
    I'm using Kel-Tec's +1 extension and spring. I've never had a problem with it until now. It used to shoot pretty well with a low malfunction rate. I never took it apart until today to make sure everything was together correctly, and it was. But something that I can't see could still be an issue, like the spring being weak as you mentioned. The plus side is, it's a part that Kel-Tec sells as their own, so it should be covered.

I have it all packed up and ready to send out, with a note stating my issues and that I want it test fired as much as it needs to be to assure reliability after any repairs have been made. I just need to call Kel-Tec tomorrow and have them email me a label and I'll send it out via UPS or FedEX early this week. I'll be taking the Glock with me to work, but it'll have to stay in the car since it's impossible for me to carry a firearm that large at work (which is why I LOVE the Kel-Tec).

If I continue to have problems, I guess I'll be on the hunt for something new. Maybe a Kahr PM9. A bit bigger, but it's 9mm which is a huge plus, lighter than my old Mk40, so it's borderline pocket carry-able. Wish me luck :)

VIP Member
    I solved the pocket carry problem with a Rohrbaugh R9 and a PM 40.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links