CZ Compacts and opinions for carry

This is a discussion on CZ Compacts and opinions for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good afternoon, I am now looking to get my first defensive carry handgun and have some questions for those experienced in carrying CZ compacts. Is ...

Thread: CZ Compacts and opinions for carry

Good afternoon,

I am now looking to get my first defensive carry handgun and have some questions for those experienced in carrying CZ compacts.

Is the CZ P-01 much more difficult to conceal IWB or OWB than the CZ PCR?

Is the CZ P-01 uncomfortable to carry concealed IWB with the thicker front end compared to the CZ PCR?

I am down to those two and want to stay in the compact size (compared to subcompact). I had originally decided to go with the PCR, but really would like to get the P-01.

Any and all opinions or advice welcome.

Thank you for your time in advance,

Sean

VIP Member
    I have the P-01 and it is not hard to carry or conceal IWB. The dimensions on the 2 are identical. The weight difference is negligible (P-01 1.8 lb, the PCR 1.7 lb). The Frame is the same size, the difference being the P-01 uses a full under lug to accommodate the accessory rail, where the PCR does not have a rail.

The link will give you the torture test that the P-01 was put through to obtain the NATO certification:

CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols
    Last edited by archer51; October 16th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have shot 5-6 different models of CZ's but do not own any (yet). I was planning on buying the PCR but was really surprised at the amount of muzzle flip that it has. Way more than what a 9mm should have IMO.

I do however love the 75 compact. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any CZ, fantastic ergo's and wonderfully accurate.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I have the P-01 and it's an incredible handgun, most accurate shooting gun I own and very comfortable. I don't have any experience carrying it IWB but in a pancake holster it's not bad at all.

I used to have a CZ RAMI 2075 9mm. I wish I never sold it. It was a great little gun. I could make easy shots out to 25 yards. I would assume the larger guns would be even better. I say do it.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Muzzle flip and accuracy with the PCR were my main concerns with a PCR (and compact in general), and it seems, that it may be justified. I would rather sacrifice comfort and minor troubles with concealability, than issues with accuracy. I know that the PCR is touted as the better CC gun, but I feel as it the P-01 is better for shootability, accuracy, and maybe, reliability.

Does this seem to be the consensus with experienced shooters?

Thank you in advance,

Sean

VIP Member
    I've never shot the PCR, but those that I know who have them have never had any problems with them. There is enough weight with either one, that even +P rounds are mild.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have the PCR and think it is a very well made, and accurate handgun. It's not difficult to conceal but when loaded with 14 rounds of 147grain Federal HST it is a little heavy. A good gun belt and quality holster is beneficial in carrying this weapon. I chose the PCR over the P0-1 because I didn't need the light rail. To be honest, I usually carry the PCR only during the colder months of the year and carry my Kahr PM9 the rest of the time.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

Quote Originally Posted by grimlad View Post
    I am down to those two and want to stay in the compact size (compared to subcompact). I had originally decided to go with the PCR, but really would like to get the P-01.
    The PCR is the better choice for carry than the P-01...no rail. I had 5 CZ's at one point and am now down to three - the PCR, 75c and the P-07. Despite it's homely appearance, the P-07 feels and shoots very similar to an HK and mine is the most accurate 9mm I own. I don't do well with double stack IWB, but the PCR slide is pretty much in line with that of a single stack 9. PCR also has a loaded chamber indicator in that means anything to you. No matter which you chose, you'll want to get a Bedair SS guide rod and Wolff gun springs - 18lb recoil and 15lb hammer / main spring. The latter makes the trigger so much better. It will come with rubber grips and you'll want to change those out for wood or plastic to keep your shirt from sticking to them. Another nice touch is the rubber mag bases offered by CZcustom. Oh yeah, sights on the PCR are day glow.

DSCF0553.jpg
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Links