researching and learning on "mini 9's" - Page 3

researching and learning on "mini 9's"

This is a discussion on researching and learning on "mini 9's" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I swap between my Bodyguard 380 and my LC9. The 380 lives in my pocket and the LC9 rides in a IWB and literally disappears. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: researching and learning on "mini 9's"

I swap between my Bodyguard 380 and my LC9. The 380 lives in my pocket and the LC9 rides in a IWB and literally disappears. I had a Kahr and found the square slide uncomfortable and the gun unreliable. That is just me but the LC9 has not missed a beat no matter what ammo I feed it and is very accurate. I like the fact that it has a safety if I want it and and the long smooth trigger so I have the ability to not shoot if I think it is the right choice. A great carry gun.

Curious how the Bodyguard is doing for you? Im really stuck right now , I like the LC9 and the pf9 , but I mainly want a pocket gun , not an IWB, I also am very interested in the DB9 which I might buy , I dont plan on shooting a bazillion rounds through these lil guns maybe a couple hundred to get the feel of them , I dont think I need to daily shoot them , they hold a particular purpose to sway the bad guy away from me and left me get the hell out of dodge! Thats it, if they plan on following me home they'll be in for a big shock I wont be on the defensive at home I have the firepower to go on the offensive!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Regarding your statements above - whatever you get, you must train with it. I do not believe in the concept of guns that are "carried a lot but only shot a little."

Any handgun is capable of "finishing the job," as long as you do your part. And remember that the "job" is stopping the threat, getting away, and surviving. Don't overestimate the "stopping ability" of a handgun, whatever the caliber or ammo capacity. There is a reason soldiers carry long guns as their primary weapon. Handguns are, at best, secondary weapons or weapons of convenience.
    +1
    I also do not believe in that concept....if you are going to carry it you better dang sure know how to shoot it and shoot it well.....and reload it well

I qual with 3 handguns for off-duty/backup each spring at our quals, and I practice with them throughout the year.
    My primary backup is my 642. Sometimes it comes home but most of the time it stays at the work locker unless I go to the range.
    I carry my G30 primarily for off-duty but some days the KT P11 goes in the pocket and I have no problem with it. I like having 12+1 and 2 spare 12 round mags in the pocket. Is the P11 pleasant to shoot? no...but neither is getting shot because I couldn't hit with it when I need to. I'm sure the discomfort in my hand is way less than getting shot. I've shot the KT enough to consistently hit pretty good with it out to 25 yards. I run drills with it just like I do my duty g17 and my other pistols.
    Its definitely not as fun to shoot as my glocks and others but it serves a good purpose in the arsenal. Find one that fits your budget, your hand, and your need, and then don't skimp on practice rounds and get lots of range time with it.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have had my LC9 about two weeks (200 rounds so far flawless)

I am really glad with help from this board I went with it.

I came very close to buying the Db9

They where the same at $399.00

After help here and speaking with gun shops I can not be more pleased .

Its in pocket as I type blackhawk holster blue jeans .

I have a Kel Tec PF9 and really love it. The Kahrs are very nice, but you're often paying double/triple the cost of a PF9 and there's really no difference in fit/function. Sure, the Kahrs are more aesthetic, but you don't buy a gun for fashion show appeal, you buy one that works.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilloc View Post
    The Kahrs are very nice, but you're often paying double/triple the cost of a PF9 and there's really no difference in fit/function.
    Really?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have a Kel Tec PF9 and really love it. The Kahrs are very nice, but you're often paying double/triple the cost of a PF9 and there's really no difference in fit/function.
    You must be kidding? All you have to do is closely inspect examples of pistols by both manufacturers and disasemble them and look inside. Its not even an apples to apples comparison. I now own or have owned examples of several products from both makers, and sold Kahr's and Kel Tec's when I had my 01-FFL and gun business and its not even close. Kahr handguns are far better handguns in every way (fit, finish, function and quality of materials and construction) and well worth the price difference.

I am not trying to disrespect you or Kel Tec products or owners but they are what they are. When I had my firearms business I had a great deal of direct contact with the service department of Kel Tec. They do provide generally good CS but the problem is that they get way to much practice servicing their products. All makes have some issues and Kahr is no different, but the two makers I had the most issues with were KT and Taurus by a wide margin, and this is the percentage of units sold that had to be returned for service I am referring too. KT products are generally well designed but are lacking in fit/finish and build quality because they do not spend much time polishing and hand fitting the internals at the factory and it shows. This is why they sell at the price point they do. From my extensive first hand experiences selling and servicing these guns, I found many do work perfectly fine out of the box, many can be made to work reliably by the end user with the "fluff and Buff", but far too high a percentage have to go back to the factory for me to have real confidence in KT products when there are far better options available for a bit more money.
    Last edited by pirate; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by oldNJshooter View Post
    I'll cast my vote for the Kahr PM9. I bought the all black with NS this past July and it goes everywhere with me.
    It has temporarily replaced my G27 as my EDC weapon.
    I'm not big on pocket carry but it will fill that bill very well if that's what you want.

Oldnj, is that the Mitch Rosen holster that Kahr sells on its website? Very nice.

I have a Kel Tec PF9 and really love it. The Kahrs are very nice, but you're often paying double/triple the cost of a PF9 and there's really no difference in fit/function. Sure, the Kahrs are more aesthetic, but you don't buy a gun for fashion show appeal, you buy one that works.
    - Add another

I've owned a Kel-Tec P32 and have handled the PF9 extensively and they both were very roughly finished. The fit also wasn't perfect, but it did function. Not to mention that the hard chrome finish was applied very unevenly and looked less than stellar. There is simply no comparison between the PF9 and the PM9 when it comes to fit, finish and especially the trigger. Even the newly introduced budget line CM9 handily beats the PF9 in fit and finish.

boberg xr9-s

the boberg xr9-s is finally in production and is a game-changer in pocket 9's. If you can afford it ($949) and can wait a few months, it's worth getting on the waiting list.

Manual: http://tinyurl.com/3pbptj7
    1 Review: http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1525
    Last edited by cz2075bd; October 24th, 2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: fixed url's
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Quote Originally Posted by p3at View Post
    Oldnj, is that the Mitch Rosen holster that Kahr sells on its website? Very nice.
    One in the same. I like it very much for EDC.
    Jim
    NRA Life Member since '69

well this is what im talking about though , I think there should be a classification here , there are very reliable 9's that cost under $350 and then there is the rediculous $450 and above prices , Im sorry if your gonna buy a pocket gun (a throw away) for $900 more power to ya , but I can have a pretty decent Glock 22 with with tritium sights, laser , flashlight ,nice holster for that price and it'll shoot a whole hell of alot better and I will trust my life on it, can you say that for a 900 dollar throw away pistol?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Pretty strong opinion there, have anything to back that up?

A Glock 22 in a pocket huh? Interesting... Pics of this? It's also not a 'small 9' as required for this thread.
    When did a pocket gun mean 'a throwaway' gun anyway? There are 9mm's that are less expensive, but few are reliable when pocket sized, which is what this thread is about.

My PM9 has been every bit as reliable as another other gun on earth (0 failures), and I don't consider it a throw away gun by any means.

What the heck is a throw away gun anyway?

I'm on the list for a Boberg and can't wait for it to get here. Based on the reviews I've seen it's a fine piece of equipment.

You know, come to think of it, if I had a Boberg, or one of my Pythons, or my HK P7, or my S&W Pro Series 1911 in one hand and any Glock in the other, I'd throw away the Glock, so maybe there is something to this 'throw away gun' concept after all.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

eb
    Kahr makes a good gun, but lets be honest here -- the polymer ones are anything but aesthetically pleasing. The mags don't seem to seat well and stick out the bottom of the gun in a weird and non-ergonomic fashion (even my expensive stainless MK9 is like this), and the side of the handle is 'patchwork' (look at the pic above). I don't have any problem with them, and I'd buy another, but I also don't think they are generating miracles either. I find the fit and finish on my Keltec PF9 to be very passable. The thing was $275, and it is as good or better than I expected. After reading threads on here before buying it, I expected a rock with a wood handle tied on with leather thread, and was pleasantly surprised at the reality of the situation which is pretty good. For what its worth, based on my experience with my cheap PF9, I see no reason to spend more money on a gun in this category. I may consider a Nano solely because I am a rabid Beretta fan (have 3 storms). I like my MK9 Kahr, but I regret spending several hundred dollars on it. Its no more reliable than the $275 Keltec. Its prettier and weighs 4x as much though. The trigger is way better, but much easier to accidentally discharge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links