researching and learning on "mini 9's"

This is a discussion on researching and learning on "mini 9's" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went for the slightly larger CW9 (two, one for me, one for wife)---these are carried IWB rather than in pocket---the longer grip suits me ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: researching and learning on "mini 9's"

jyo
    I went for the slightly larger CW9 (two, one for me, one for wife)---these are carried IWB rather than in pocket---the longer grip suits me better. I have fired the PM9 model and it was good as well just a bit small in the grip. I consider the Kahrs pretty much the top of the small gun heap.

2. Remove Ads

I too like purchasing and owning the Mini-9's. I have the following: Springfield Armory EMP 9, Keltec PF9, Keltec P11, Taurus PT709, Diamondback DB9. In the near future I would like to add the Kahr PM9 but am kind of hesitant at the moment as I have read here and on the Kahr forum problems with people having such as with the magazine, FTE, FTF etc. especially for the premium price that the Kahrs are priced at. Heck, my SA EMP 9 being a $1100 premium gun has problems with FTE WWB ammo. I kind of expected problems with my Taurus being what people here say is a unreliable bottom rung brand, but my Taurus PT709 has been very reliable with close to 4000 problem free rounds as to date. I still plan on getting a Kahr PM9, but I just pray that I do not have any problems with it because of the premium price I will be paying for it. Just sharing my experience and rant. Thanks for listening. God Bless

The problems that you refer to are mainly with the newer lower priced CM9 not the PM9.
    My PM9, all black w/NS, purchased July of this year has run 100% for 967 rds. The only issues were two mags that split and were repaced by Kahr then one follower broke for no apparent reason and that was replaced by Kahr with 3 followers. The mags are the problem not the actual pistol(s).
    I like my PM9 very much and would recommend them to anyone considering them but, I would stay away from the CM9 until Kahr works out the new gun bugs.
    As a long time shooter and LE firearms instructor, I think many of the reported problems with Kahr pistols is the new or inexperienced shooter trying to use a mini sized pistol. They can be problematic due to their smaller size.
    Jim
    NRA Life Member since '69

Heck, my SA EMP 9 being a $1100 premium gun has problems with FTE WWB ammo.
    Easy solution to that , quit buying cheap ammo , you shelled out $1100 bucks for a nice gun and feed it wal mart junk , buy the good stuff or go buy bulk online , check out Slickguns , go to Aimsurplus , always good deals available!

Many of the Kahr problems stem from the "extended" magazines which Kahr ships as the second mag. These have consistently failed in my PM9 and MK9, both guns functioning 100% with the standard mag. I save the extended mags for range use but I also followed the break-in procedure noted on the the Kahrtalk forum and am quite pleased with the four Kahrs I've purchased. YMMV.

PM9 and stay away from the ugly extended mags. They are awful looking and get lots of complaints. My PM9 came out of the box shooting and never hiccupped - ever. My MK9 has an even better trigger pull (if you can believe that!) but it is heavy for pocket carry and a little harder to control under rapid fire for me because of the smooth grip front.

I read a lot about the PM9 before buying mine. I read mostly on the Kahr Arms Forum.
    I read that many did not like the 7 rd. mag and that they were prone to problems so, when I got my PM9 I put the extended 7 rd. mag aside and did not use it. When my two 6 rd. mags split, I put the 7 rd. into service. I took the ugly black plastic bottom plate off and replaced it with one of the SS plates from a 6 rd. mag.
    My 7 rd. extended mag has been 100% as far as function. In fact, it is my extra mag carried in the console of my vehicle.
    Jim
    NRA Life Member since '69

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ditto on the PM9. I bought two and shared with a friend who decided he didn't like the short, 6rnd mag, which I preferred over the extended mag, so I traded him my 7rnd for his 6rnd and now we're both happy. I've fired right around 1000 rounds through it and have not experienced one failure of any sort .... other than lousy aim at first, but that's probably an ID 10 T error.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I am pretty well Jonzin' for a PF9.$279 locally, and feels better to me than an LC9. The CM9 is also once, bit not "smaller enough" than my CW45 to reel me in.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Smith and Wesson scandium series would fit that bill about as good as it can get. Be prepared the 357 magnum loads out of the scandium revolvers are brutal. Mine with 357 magnums will almost break your trigger finger but with 38 specials not a big deal . Front pocket ,shirt pocket , jacket pocket or hot pocket ,ankle holster it doesn't matter great carry!

my brother's khar in a 40 and a 9mm are good to go. I would trust my life with either as a back up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    Easy solution to that , quit uying cheap ammo , you shelled out $1100 bucks for a nice gun and feed it wal mart junk , buy the good stuff or go buy bulk online , check out Slickguns , go to Aimsurplus , always good deals available!
    I am not trying to start a product were here , nor am I trying to keep 1 from happening but I find winchester white box to be decent practice ammo it's loaded industry standards it's loaded with good brass if you have a pistol that won't shoot it maybe its time to get rid of the pistol or accept sub standard reliability . is it the best amo on the market ?probably not . I can assure you it is a lot higher quality than the military surplus that you will find when things get lean around here. As they have done in the past.

My current carry guns are the Ruger LCP and a Kimber Solo. The Ruger has never failed to feed or fire and and I have now shot enough rounds (200+) through the Kimber with no problems that I trust it as a carry gun. Both are carried in my front pocket; the Ruger in a Desantis Nemesis and the Kimber in a Remora.

What # remora are you using for the Solo?

I've pocket carried a Jframe for over a year. It is a little on the big side for pocket carry but it will work. If I were to get a single stack mini 9mm, it would be the Kahr CM9. The LC9 is just a tad bit bigger but the CM9 is as large as I would go for pocket carry. If I had a mini 9mm, I probably would carry it either IWB or OWB.

I recently picked up a LCP. Much easier to pocket carry than my Jframe. I would look at 380s for pocket carry imo.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links