researching and learning on "mini 9's" - Page 5

researching and learning on "mini 9's"

This is a discussion on researching and learning on "mini 9's" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gooddog What # remora are you using for the Solo? REM-2...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: researching and learning on "mini 9's"

Quote Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
    What # remora are you using for the Solo?
    REM-2

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I am trying do decide between a CM9 and a PF9. I have read about the CM9 having issues with nose dives, recoil springs, and having to modify the mags so they work properly along with a lot of them having to be sent back to the factory once if not twice for fixing and that Kahr's CS isn't such a pleasure to work with. The PF9 may need some fine tuning like what I think they call a fluff and buff which doesn't seem to be too had to do at home or you can send it to KelTec who seems to have a good CS department too, and they seem to get good reports from those that own them. Also the cost of a PF9 also is almost half of the CM9. I'm just not sure about spending that much on a gun that I may not feel 100% about carrying.

What is the mag modification that you speak of?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

5th Marines-Thanks for your service. I also served 20 yrs AF Security Police followed by .5 ys local PD and 21.5 yrs. State LEO. I enjoy guns/shooting/reloading and was a Firearms Instructor for my Agency for 15 yrs. When the Kel-Tec PF9 came I recommended our UC agts carry it-it isn't a "Cop/Glock" item. It worked very well in that role and I can't one of the female agts to sell me hers-Nuff said there!. I carried lots of guns-Detonics 45s/ParaOrd Warthog in an ankle holster and now retired in my pocket. J Frame S&Ws too on my ankle & pocket. No experience with Kahr-but local SO sent Kimbers back for quality/warranty issues and returned to Springfield Armory. UCs carried Sig P230 380s before and we had qual issues with mag changes and the caliber on the street.

^^^ Cokeman .... the Kahr mags sometime need their springs modified or replaced, the mags themselves sometimes need some tweaking because they are made within such a tight tolerance, like a little fluff and buff or slight squeeze of their body or either a little squeeze or a bend or file of their top configurations or their followers, and their foot plates tend to bite so some fine wet-dry sand paper will round off the sharp edges. Go to the Kahr forum and read some of the issues and remedies posted there also.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I am trying do decide between a CM9 and a PF9. I have read about the CM9 having issues with nose dives, recoil springs, and having to modify the mags so they work properly along with a lot of them having to be sent back to the factory once if not twice for fixing and that Kahr's CS isn't such a pleasure to work with. The PF9 may need some fine tuning like what I think they call a fluff and buff which doesn't seem to be too had to do at home or you can send it to KelTec who seems to have a good CS department too, and they seem to get good reports from those that own them. Also the cost of a PF9 also is almost half of the CM9. I'm just not sure about spending that much on a gun that I may not feel 100% about carrying.
    if I listened to every negative internet comment I've read, I wouldn't own any guns. I have both the PF-9 and CM9, and if you are looking for a good, small pocketable 9mm, either will do the job. CM9 is "prettier" than the PF-9, but also a bit more pricey. The Keltec Fluff & Buff has not been required on either of my PF-9's as they were 100% out of the box....I did later break both down and buff the feed ramp with my Dremel, but only because I do that with all my pistols. The CM9?? 100%
    so far with not one hiccup.....its a sweet little gun with about half the felt recoil of the PF-9.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member
    just grabbed a DiamondBackDB9.......its only 1/2" longer than my LCP or my BG380
    and its been 200 rounds flawless so far......I plan to run another 100 through it and make it
    my EDC.....very impressive so far for the price of less than 400 bucks and is lightest in class

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    ^^^ Cokeman .... the Kahr mags sometime need their springs modified or replaced, the mags themselves sometimes need some tweaking because they are made within such a tight tolerance, like a little fluff and buff or slight squeeze of their body or either a little squeeze or a bend or file of their top configurations or their followers, and their foot plates tend to bite so some fine wet-dry sand paper will round off the sharp edges. Go to the Kahr forum and read some of the issues and remedies posted there also.
    To solve what problems?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    just grabbed a DiamondBackDB9.......its only 1/2" longer than my LCP or my BG380
    and its been 200 rounds flawless so far......I plan to run another 100 through it and make it
    my EDC.....very impressive so far for the price of less than 400 bucks and is lightest in class
    What ammo are you using?

I had 124/125 flawless rounds but then I 200 rounds prior to it and 100 rounds after that gave me nothing but problems.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    What ammo are you using?

I had 124/125 flawless rounds but then I 200 rounds prior to it and 100 rounds after that gave me nothing but problems.

Lifetime NRA Member

On my DB9 I have over 500 rounds through mine and I have used Federal 9BP and Winchester PDX +P but now they say not to use +P. However it worked fine in my DB9. I hope that helps. God Bless

zonker1986: if I listened to every negative internet comment I've read, I wouldn't own any guns.
    True but you never hardly read about the good ones, but owners sure rush to post issues they have, and some ask how they can fix them. So if you read a lot about some products that have repeated problems then some tend to shy away from those. We know who has good repeated history's with their firearms, not to say everything they make is perfect but some have a better track record then others. I take what I read on these forums with speculation but like I said if I keep seeing posts that a firearm is having issues, over and over again then wooooo it makes me wounder. Because when you buy one with an issue your options are very limited. You can't just return it like a coffee maker that doesn't work right out of the box. Your kind of stuck with it so you can only hope that the manufacturer will help you out, some are good at that and some could care less. But if I am spending $475. on something that has a 60/40% chance that it might not work New From the Box I would rather spend $280. on one that has a 95/5% chance that it will. YMWV

I guess the gun is your choice. They are all nice guns. Just remember the rulles of several hundred trouble free rounds/150-200 of them your defensive rounds, and regular shooting and training. The biggest issue with the micro/pocket guns is limp wristing (even if you think you don't do it) and that will make ALL of those listed here fail!!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    You must be kidding? All you have to do is closely inspect examples of pistols by both manufacturers and disasemble them and look inside. Its not even an apples to apples comparison. I now own or have owned examples of several products from both makers, and sold Kahr's and Kel Tec's when I had my 01-FFL and gun business and its not even close. Kahr handguns are far better handguns in every way (fit, finish, function and quality of materials and construction) and well worth the price difference.

I am not trying to disrespect you or Kel Tec products or owners but they are what they are. When I had my firearms business I had a great deal of direct contact with the service department of Kel Tec. They do provide generally good CS but the problem is that they get way to much practice servicing their products. All makes have some issues and Kahr is no different, but the two makers I had the most issues with were KT and Taurus by a wide margin, and this is the percentage of units sold that had to be returned for service I am referring too. KT products are generally well designed but are lacking in fit/finish and build quality because they do not spend much time polishing and hand fitting the internals at the factory and it shows. This is why they sell at the price point they do. From my extensive first hand experiences selling and servicing these guns, I found many do work perfectly fine out of the box, many can be made to work reliably by the end user with the "fluff and Buff", but far too high a percentage have to go back to the factory for me to have real confidence in KT products when there are far better options available for a bit more money.
    I currently work in a gun shop. And no, I'm not kidding. The price difference in the PM9 vs. PF9 isn't worth it and there isn't that much of a difference in regards to fit/finish. You do realize you can get a PF9 cerakoted from the factory now, right? That finish far outshines what Kahr offers. And I've sent thousands of rounds down range with both guns. Both have had issues inside the initial break in period, after that, they worked fine.

I bought a PF9. So far, I'm impressed. It seems to like PDX +p just fine.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links