researching and learning on "mini 9's"

This is a discussion on researching and learning on "mini 9's" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok , the reason Im writing this is because I want a "pocket gun" always have wanted one ,unfortunately there have only been .22,.25,.32,and .380's ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: researching and learning on "mini 9's"

researching and learning on "mini 9's"

Ok , the reason Im writing this is because I want a "pocket gun" always have wanted one ,unfortunately there have only been .22,.25,.32,and .380's available , until recently , yes the pf9 has been a round a few years but not until now has there been any real 9's available , mainly I wanted a pocket carry for the summer months , and then came the dilemma of finding the right gun , yesterday I shot the db9 ,lc9,lcp,SW bodyguard,Sig p238(a few 380's) ,Sig p290 Keltec Pf9 , didnt get to shoot the Kahr or Kimber , not sure who else makes these guns (rorhbah 9 not available) , with this list it was easy to come up with a winner the LC9 was the best in handling ,style,shooting , and price (for what you get) , the only thing that concerned was its alittle too big for the pocket , I mean it will work , but I noticed the kimber and Kahr and the DB9 fit better in the pocket , I also have a second use for this gun , When winter comes I dont really need a pocket carry I can have my .45 or any number of .40's that I have , however , Ive been seriously thinking ankle holster for these guns as well! And anyone who has carried and ankle holster knows you dont want a boat anchor on your ankle ! Which with these guns is perfect !

I realize these will hardly get shot , my main concern is "the moment of truth" will this lil 9 fire! It gives me a chance to flee the area basically , where as my G22 or Colt 45 will not only not flee the area but will finish the job !!

2. Remove Ads

Kahr CM9.....imo, the very best of the class.

yes, I have two Keltec PF-9's that have never failed, but the Kahr is a much softer shooting gun. The PF-9's are easily carried in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. CM9 is just as easily carried.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

i vote for the LC9 but you are right when you say it won't fit every pocket you put it in. from what i have read from different gun forums its has the best track record of being reliable out of the box.

Distinguished Member
    Also, Beretta Nano is coming out right now. They just started shipping them to dealers.

I know this is not a "Mini 9," but have you looked at a j-frame revolver? My Smith & Wesson 360 (357 Magnum / 38) is SUPER easy to conceal & affords a sincere "get the job done" caliber.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Kahr CM9.....imo, the very best of the class.

yes, I have two Keltec PF-9's that have never failed, but the Kahr is a much softer shooting gun. The PF-9's are easily carried in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. CM9 is just as easily carried.
    Yes, the CM9 is OK, but it is the cheaper version of the PM9- the PM and MK9 is the premier pocket 9mm IMO. No matter, either model is on the top shelf.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The PM9 is one of the best right now. witht he right pockets a P9 is doable also.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I pocket carry a kahr cm9 now and had a kt pf-9 that I carried for over 2 years. Never a issue of any kind. Don't even do the ankle carry thing. If you can't run hard with it with out lossing it and can't access it quicker than a BG can pull the trigger when he see's you bend over to get your gun you don't need it. NO firearm is garrantied to work till you have fire 400 to 600 rounds trouble free with around 200 of those being the rounds you will bet your life on. Does not matter if a glock, kimber. s&w or kel tec you have to prove it first.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    I realize these will hardly get shot , my main concern is "the moment of truth" will this lil 9 fire! It gives me a chance to flee the area basically , where as my G22 or Colt 45 will not only not flee the area but will finish the job !!
    Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your statements above - whatever you get, you must train with it. I do not believe in the concept of guns that are "carried a lot but only shot a little."

Any handgun is capable of "finishing the job," as long as you do your part. And remember that the "job" is stopping the threat, getting away, and surviving. Don't overestimate the "stopping ability" of a handgun, whatever the caliber or ammo capacity. There is a reason soldiers carry long guns as their primary weapon. Handguns are, at best, secondary weapons or weapons of convenience.

I pocket carry a PM9 and a LCP in opposite pockets daily...sometimes substituting another LCP instead of the PM9 depending on the size of the pocket. IMHO, the PM9/CM9 is at the limit for pocket carry - the LC9, PF9 etc are just too big. The Sig P290 is on the heavy side. Revolvers, for me, are also too large and thick for pocket duty.

Good luck in your quest...
    64zebra likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, the CM9 is OK, but it is the cheaper version of the PM9- the PM and MK9 is the premier pocket 9mm IMO. No matter, either model is on the top shelf.
    yes, the PM9 and MK9 (I lust after and MK Elite) are top of their class.....but at a huge price differential over the CM9. I just have a hard time shelling out $650 for a PM9 when I can get a CM9 for $398 that does pretty much the same thing. Yeah, I drive a Toyota and shop a Walmart.....sucks being a po' white boy.
    357and40 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

^ Agreed. I have a PM9, and love and carry the hell out of it. Had the CM9 been out when I purchased the PM, I would have picked up the CM9. Its 90% of the gun for WAY less money. That CM9, in my opinion, is the best bang for the buck, quality mini-9 out there.

Hint - if you are an NRA instructor, you can get a Kahr pistol at a very discounted price, direct from them to your FFL. My PM9 was $410 + $35 shipping + $65 for the night sights.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My vote for the Kahr as well.

But, to your ankle carry question; Kinda like a shoulder carry rig: great in theory - not so much in practice. Carried a PPK in a Milt Sparks ankle holster for a few years and, thankfully, never needed it. Hard to draw (especially if you're running), not comfortable, prints/shows a lot when you cross your legs, have to make sure your pant leg drops fully when you stand up. Do a search if you must buy one; I think the Galco Ankle Glove gets a good grade but you can get the general idea of its advantages/drawbacks just by buying a cheap one before you spend for a good one.

Here's a good read:

Product Review: Galco Ankle Holsters | The Truth About Guns

eb
    My Kahr MK9 is a VERY nice gun, its small and accurate too. It does however, weigh quite a bit if that matters. The trade off is it shoots very softly with little recoil as a result. I carry it from time to time IWB or in a slide belt holster. Its too heavy for ankle carry IMO. I generally prefer to have more rounds on me, so normally my Beretta PX4 subcompact that holds double the rounds gets chosen over the MK9 unless concealment is top priority (I swear they weigh about the same too, lol).

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    +1 for the CM9. I was someone who thought the LCP was the ONLY gun that could fit in my pocket comfortably, now I know the CM9 will too, and it's only a little bit heavier.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links